Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crecy with blued crossguard and pommel? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Wagner

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Crecy with blued crossguard and pommel?         Reply with quote

Please share your thoughts on an Albion Next Generation Crecy with blued crossguard and pommel concerning authenticity and aesthetics. Il really like the contrast between a blued hilt and a bright blade, especially when drawn from a scabbard. Yet I hate making unthoughtful mistakes.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M.,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy We know a variety of treatments were used to prevent rust and/or give color. I do think a true fire-blueing looks better than modern chemical blueing though.

So I don't think blueing the hilt of the Crecy would be a problem.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, I think that a crecy with blued furniture would look great. Here is a link to Nathan Robinson's 1st gen crecy with blued fittings. Its not the same as a next gen, but should give you a good idea of what it might look like.
http://www.myArmoury.com/swor_alb_crec.html?9

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
M. Wagner

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to all for replying.
Chad Arnow wrote:
M.,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy We know a variety of treatments were used to prevent rust and/or give color. I do think a true fire-blueing looks better than modern chemical blueing though.

So I don't think blueing the hilt of the Crecy would be a problem.

Thanks, glad to be here.
As far as I've heard Albion does fire-blueing, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Joel Chesser wrote:
Hi, I think that a crecy with blued furniture would look great. Here is a link to Nathan Robinson's 1st gen crecy with blued fittings. Its not the same as a next gen, but should give you a good idea of what it might look like.
http://www.myArmoury.com/swor_alb_crec.html?9

The first gen blueing is chemical, isn't it? I really love the furniture colour of the Viceroy in this thread. This dark grey with a blue touch. Is this considered standard for fire blueing or do I have to phrase my wishes more detailed to get a similar colour on my furniture?
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Crecy with blued crossguard and pommel?         Reply with quote

M. Wagner wrote:
Please share your thoughts on an Albion Next Generation Crecy with blued crossguard and pommel concerning authenticity and aesthetics.

Compatibility with "historical authenticity" seems to be part of your original inquiry. I am really hoping others can add here regarding museum cases where there is surviving evidence of "blueing."

There are claimed instances of 13th century knights (Black Prince) "blackening" mail. As far as I know, no one can rule out that some remaining swords were not "blued" originally, but that surviving specimens have lost that finish with time and older "conservation" practices.

Fire "blueing" or "gilding" is going to be more durable and attractive (in my opinion) than chemical blueing which I have done on swords and guns. Albion offers this (~$75 U.S. I think.) It is best done as part of the initial assembly and purchase.

The Bayerishes Museum sword that the Albion Munich is based upon has remnants of "gold fire gilding" (per examination and opinion of Peter Johnson.) This has been mis-diagnosed as "bronze gilt" by some sources. If it were not so well preserved, it would probably appear to be plain steel at this point. The reason I bring it up is because there was a variety of "fire guilding" techniques from the 12th century onward.
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ght=munich

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure about this, but i seem to recall hearing that Albion uses bluing salts. I understand the shaded of blue very. I also think that Nathan said that the blueing tends to kind of set. As it aged it changed shades. Like on his it went from that aqua color to a gray, similar to the viceroy.

Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of the older threads on this same subject are worth reviewing. Confident consensus of evidence of sword blueing appears to be considered most appropriate to 15th century and later period. That could have a bearing on the decision to do it on a Crecy where historical authenticity is valued. Gilding, however, could be considered more appropriate for a much more broad era..
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ht=blueing

I have noticed a small variety of things done by Albion, Peter Johnson. One of his more spectacular projects utilized cold chemical bluing (feint, rinsed with water and steel wooled for more of an antique effect.) http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ht=blueing

The Crecy Gretes featured in the wallpaper downloads here at myArmoury are an example of the "fire blued" method (oils or chemicals applied to hot furniture.) http://www.myArmoury.com/desktop_crecy.html

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
M. Wagner

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's ordered (with bluing). I'll post pics of it as soon as it arrives in a few months.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

congrats. I'll look forward to seeing it.

M. Wagner

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently got these pictures from Søren of Albion Europe, my order will be ready for shipping soon.

Attachment: 85.63 KB
image02.jpg

Attachment: 22.65 KB
[ Download ]
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Wagner wrote:
I recently got these pictures from Søren of Albion Europe, my order will be ready for shipping soon.

That is very striking looking and congratulations are in order. What color is the grip? The whole package looks great and will have the effect you are looking for I believe. Be sure to post pictures when you get it.

Scott
M. Wagner

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grip colour is oxblood. Telling from the pictures it's not exactly what I had in mind (more red, less black), but I think I'll be just fine. Big Grin
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Once again congratulations on a great looking sword. I thought it might be oxblood but wanted to confirm it. As I said in my previous post be sure to post pictures when you receive it.

Scott
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M,

I received a Crecy myself through Albion Europe a few month ago. I must say that I like those hilt modifications, it really adds to the overall aesthetic of the sword. A far as bueing is concerned, it looks more like blackening to me on the pic above, looks almost like charcoal...but I love how it turned out. Oddly enough I like the oxblood grip as well ( I thought I didn't like oxblood...since it appeared to be close to burgundy on Albion’s color charts). Anyway I find mine a little bit plain now thanks to you! Happy

Cheers,

Julien
Rusty Knorr

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Crecy with "blackened furniture" and I will tell you it is very striking. The grip is oxblood which is a bit more of a light red rather than the dark red I would prefer but I will have it re-wrapped one of these days. Such an amazing sword...

-Rusty Knorr
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I concur wholeheartedly regarding the blued furniture on a Crecy, that's how I ordered mine which is with
Christian Fletcher right now being fitted for a scabbard and having the raised area of the pommel engraved
with an image of Jormungand, the Serpent of Midgard.

Doug G.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crecy with blued crossguard and pommel?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic