Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: Thank you for your supportContest
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Contest: Thank you for your support         Reply with quote

Win Big Prizes for Contributing to myArmoury.com!

myArmoury.com is in the midst of a member-initiated donation drive to help me with the cost of running this place. So far, the outcome has been pretty successful. While the number of members putting into the pot hasn't been great, the income raised has been considerable. This goes to show that there is a group of special members of this site that really care about this place and really take it seriously when it comes to helping it keep going. I really do appreciate that.

I've decided to pay back the members who have been kind enough to give their hard-earned cash to this project. I want to give back something to those who have stepped up with their generosity.

The contest has a few twists and turns and I hope it will be fun for you guys. Here goes:

Our Current Donation Drive Goal is $2,100. We're already more than half-way there. If we make this goal, I will put up as a prize a Dürer Bastard Sword made by Arms & Armor. I am the second owner of this sword, but it's in like-new, excellent condition. It's never been used for cutting. It hung on an office wall for two years and has been in a box under my bed for a year.

Click for full-sized photograph

It has the A&A black-leather scabbard included. The list price of this sword and scabbard new is around $700 US with shipping.

MORE PRIZES ADDED: CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS

HOW TO ENTER:
  1. Ensure you're a registered member of myArmoury.com

2. Only those members who have donated $10 US or more to our recent donation drive (starting on July 10, 2007) are eligible for this drawing. If you've already donated or you donate before the contest closes, you'll be entered. A list of donors for this pledge is available for your review.

3. Any members who have Purchased a Membership Plan between July 10, 2007 and the close of the contest will also be automatically entered.

That's it! You're done!

Now here's the interesting part:

When the contest closes, the names of all the participants will be thrown into a hat. Every $10 contributed as part of a donation or as the cost of a membership plan will earn that participants a separate chance to win. This means that members who donate $10 to the site will have one (1) chance to win. Members who donate $50 to the site will have five (5) chances to win. Members who donate $100 to the site will have ten (10) chances to win... and so on. The more donated, the better the odds of winning the prize!

Entrants must be made prior to contest close on Monday Sep 3, 2007. All participants will be entered into a drawing and the winning name will be randomly selected later that same day.

Domestic shipping charges are included with the winning prize, but international winners will be required to pay for shipping.

Thanks goes out to everybody who has given to this site. Good luck to everyone!!

Contest-specific rules and limitations:

1. You must be a registered member of myArmoury.com
  2. myArmoury.com moderators and Team Members are eligible to win since they have been amongst the most generous with their donations
  3. Shipping charges are included for winners located in the continental US
  4. Entries are based on the amount of contributed money, either through donations or through the purchase of membership plans, and represent the number of chances to win
  5. Should the winning entrant choose not to accept the prize, another winner will be selected
  6. Those who have donated anonymously will be given the opportunity to accept the prize but must agree to have a public announcement made regarding the contest win
  7. The contributed amounts will never be revealed to the public by myArmoury.com. Contest entrants can choose for themselves if they wish to share this with the community

Please read our detailed Rules and Limitations document for complete information and our disclaimer.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice prize and very interesting rules Wink To motivate to give and with a proportionality clause making the odds of winning proportional to the donation amount given ! GENIUS: That may be the cleverest and fair contest rules in the history of fund drives. Eek! Only half kidding. Big Grin Cool

Oh, and now I have two Topic threads I can have fun bumping every few days ! ( My first bump on this topic ).

Bonus: I don't have the Durer sword. Wink Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent... great prize for sure, so come on everyone and help myArmoury meet this donation goal!
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't feel bad if all you can afford is $10. Plenty of people shell out $400 on Powerball tickets at $1 a piece, only to see some little blue-haired lady who buys one ticket win the jackpot.

Besides, the important thing is that we are donating to help keep this site running. In that way, we are all winners.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I contributed my thank you for your thank you for our thank you. Laughing Out Loud
Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be in like flint if one of the rules had to do with having the longest name ... A pleasure
to finally be able to make a donation, win something or not. B-)
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for maintaining such a great site Nathan; I wish I could afford to give more.
www.addisondelisle.com
Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Such a wonderful site. I learn more and more every time I visit. All the members great! Thank you! Big Grin
v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Michael S. Rivet

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Huh. I hadn't noticed the donation drive when I bought my membership. I just figured that, for what I got from myArmoury.com, it was worth the price of a magazine subscription. Now here I am entered in a contest. Fun! Thanks, gentlemen, for keeping this resource going.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I happily contributed to the donation drive. Even though most of us are hobbyists, just think of all the knowledge we'd be lacking if not for this site. Or more importantly, just think of the wonderful people you never would have met.....

Nathan, not only have you created an outstanding resource for history and education, but also a resource of camaraderie and friendships. Happy

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Increased my odds a bit Wink and made it a nice round number and gave it another BUMP. Big Grin
Kyro R. Lantsberger

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael S. Rivet wrote:
Huh. I hadn't noticed the donation drive when I bought my membership. I just figured that, for what I got from myArmoury.com, it was worth the price of a magazine subscription. Now here I am entered in a contest. Fun! Thanks, gentlemen, for keeping this resource going.

This is the closer statement for me. Will donate this evening after I get home from work.

I never thought of the magazine subscription analogy. Ive definitely learned more here than from some periodicals Ive subscribed to.
Gordon Clark

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm -
How many chances should Nathan get to keep the sword, given that he has "contributed" far more than anyone else...?

Cool contest though Nathan! I have always wanted one of those swords...

Gordon
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Hmm -
How many chances should Nathan get to keep the sword, given that he has "contributed" far more than anyone else...?

Thanks, Gordon, for the sentiment. I've had a few messages to me saying the same thing. I don't mind giving up the sword, though. I think it works out well in the end and is fun to boot. It generates a bit of excitement.

I was, however, thinking of adding more prizes. I think I'll do a separate contest, though, and keep all the same participants, though Happy Same difference, I suppose!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AND IT'S ON!!

The donation drive goal has been reached and that means that the Arms & Armor Dürer Bastard Sword will be going to the home of one of you guys!

Click for full-sized photograph

Because you guys made the donation goal so quickly, I've moved up the close of the contest to Monday Sep 3, 2007. The drawing will be made September 3!!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

Since the minimum objective was reached fairly quickly maybe you could set a new target with other extra " incentives " if that new target is reached ? ( Take advantage of the momentum, as the contest/objective/fund raising is sort of fun to watch ).

I'm sure that with the target met you are in a much more comfortable position of not having to worry for the short term financing of the site but any extra cash could go for enhancements or even just a cushion or pre-payment for next year.

A minimum should just be what is needed to keep going with a small extra for margin of safety but maybe setting a rolling set of objectives would avoid the trap of people saying that since the objective has been met there is no longer a need to give ?

O.K. we are not researching a cure for cancer here so there may be a point were pulling back is just avoiding being greedy and saying that the piggy bank is full enough. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure. I can do that. Good idea. Let's see if we make $2,500.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Sure. I can do that. Good idea. Let's see if we make $2,500.

Almost afraid to say it but $3000 seems reachable. Wink Don't know if this can be equalled or surpassed every year as costs go up every year or a bad year might mean downgrading the level of " Server " service/costs instead of maintaining the level or increasing it every year.

Well, that is just longterm speculation ? But I'm really curious how high the donations will go this year ! We could almost have a pool with the winner being closest to the final donation amount. Wink Laughing Out Loud

[ ]Oh, and ( bump. Big Grin )[/?]

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

$2500 attained! Now that $3000 seems more reachable.

Jonathan
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alright! You guys just made $2,500 so I'm adding a second prize and a third prize.

Yes, that means that three people will be picked and three prizes handed out.

Keep the donations coming. All donations and memberships that come in before the contest close on Monday Sep 3, 2007are automatically entered to win. See the original post in this topic for details.

I guess if you make three grand I'll add something else!

FIRST PRIZE:

The Arms & Armor Dürer Bastard Sword includes a black-leather scabbard and is valued, new, at more than $700 US for the package.

SECOND PRIZE:

A set of Sotheby's catalogs of antique arms, armour & militaria. These catalogs have some absolutely fantastic items contained in them with great photographs. Asking prices for such catalogs are around $20-$30 apiece, making the this prize's value as much as $150.

You get five catalogs: December 15, 2004, December 4, 2003, December 5, 2002, June 26, 2003, and June 30, 2004

THIRD PRIZE:

A very good to fine copy of the 2001 Peter Finer Catalog and a very used copy of Arms and Armour by Frederick Wilkinson.

The Peter finer catalog is a hardcover edition and includes its dust cover. It's in great shape. These are getting hard to find. Several beautiful items are featured within and include stunning photographs and wonderful write-ups by renown authors. The Wilkinson book is worn and has a different cover than the one shown. It is, however, a title worth owning in any condition. This prize is worth around $75.

EVEN MORE PRIZES ADDED: CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: Thank you for your supportContest
Page 1 of 3
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: