Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Sword/ Christian Henry Tobler Gathering Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Albion Sword/ Christian Henry Tobler Gathering         Reply with quote

I hope this is the right place for this. Just wanted to let you guys know that the weekend of August 18-19th Eric Nower, we folsk from the shoppe and Todd Sullivan will be hosting a weekend long event August 18th and 19th in Sandy Creek NY. There will be a variety of things going on including classes both days with Christian Henry Tobler, Albion Swords, original swords and armour from Dr.Lee Jones as well as our collection, pool noodle cutting ect. There is a fee for classes w/ Mr. Tobler but the rest is free. Details are at http://www.viciouscirclemc.com/wmaevent.htm or you can of course give us a yell. We'd like to know a week before if you are planing on comming.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally can't go but my WMA teacher is considering it but is not at the moment sure. ( Mostly financial considerations,
not the price of the event, just general travel expenses added to the total ).

I'm sort of hoping he can make it as he would bring back some good information and get be able to pass on to his students what he would learn or refine.

In any case I hope that there will be some pics to see and maybe some reporting of the event including any recent interpretations or discoveries about techniques.

Since the participants might vary in experience from beginners to advanced and teachers of the art I wonder if there will be time for formal or informal practice and discussions between those who teach others ?

For the advanced practitioners being able " duel " at their own skill level with peers and with a real master of the art would seem to me as very valuable: Local teachers, even if very good, usually have only their more advanced students to challenge them and as it is very very useful for beginners to practice with advanced students it should be very useful to teachers to practice with the best.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This seems like a wonderful opportunity, and I would love to be there. Unfortunately, the press of business and other considerations will keep me away.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, assuming we can work out the logistics, there will be a small contingent from Maine! (Addison Delisle and me Happy )
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes indeedy! I will be there!
www.addisondelisle.com
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, assuming we can work out the logistics, there will be a small contingent from Maine! (Addison Delisle and me )

Theres a number of hotel/motels within a few miles of the site. You can find them listed on the site on the left hand side under accomodations. Looking forward to putting some names to faces.
Allen Andrews

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I plan to camp, it is more making sure I can get time off and figure out who will take care of my dog while I'm gone Happy
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Event         Reply with quote

Yes there will be time of formal and informal instruction. The event is geared for not only spending the time during class instruction itself but afterwards, spending time together, getting to know each other, one on one learning, handling both original weapons and armor, free play, test cutting etc.

For those blade/armor ethusiasts attending just the Albion Round Table, I will spend time with them, if they wish, to learn more on master cuts, wards, history etc., as I have done in the past for Mercenary Tailor.

The websection contains all information. The tuition fee also covers food and drink.

To attend just the round table it is free, if you wish to eat & drink, lunch and dinner, we ask for a nominal charge of $10.

Lots of room for camping, shower available.

Christian, Saturday night, after dinner or during, will be presenting a powerpoint presentation on the Liechtenauer Tradition as well.

Door prizes for regestered guests. Lots of testing cutting.

Just a great time with great people.

I'm available for any questions or concerns.

Cheers, Todd
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish I could go, but my wife is forcing me to go to her friend's wedding.

And I don't even like her friend.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll be happy to write you an excuse note!
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This event is sure to have a fantastic turnout. I look forward to meeting those of you I have not yet had the pleasure to meet.
New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh how I wish I could attend this seminar of classes by Christian Henry Tobler Exclamation Sad
Someday I surely hope to attend his classes.
Congratulations to all those able to attend this golden opportunity!

Sincerely,

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a suggestion: I wonder if it would be possible for this event to be covered by someone and turned into a detailed feature article with supporting pics and interviews of the main presenters and participants ?

This could be very organized or more informal " blog-like " report(s) from one or more participants.

The main point would be for it to be a useful and informative overview of the whole event for those of us not able to go. Sad

At the very least Albion and Mercenary Tailor's could use the opportunity to do a Video project / DVD that could have some marketing value for them or even SOLD ? I realize that cost and the very small lead time to organize something extensive is a limiting factor.

In theory a small film crew of camera man ( person ), grip/lighting and an interviewer could do something like this fairly cheaply. In a previous life I worked for 25 years in corporate video for a large Insurance company and we could do one of these in pinch with a week of lead time, a very small budget and a tiny crew. I know it's possible but only with a good crew and a shooting plan ( Time/places/people to interview. )

Well, that is the " Cadillac " version. Wink Laughing Out Loud A simple text article would still be nice. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Report         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

There will be a complete report with all photos after the event. I'll let you know as soon as it is complete and posted.

The event is being filmed by a friend of mine who is involved in film production. It will not be for sale and only available to those who attend. A video event yearbook...so to speak.

This event will take place annually. So if you couldn't make it this year, hope to see you in 2008.

With Respect,

Todd
Shawn Henthorn

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This looks exciting and really makes me wish I still lived in NH so I could go Cry .
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hopefully I will be joining the aforementioned Maine contingent! Sounds like a great opportunity. Handle an original sword? Now that is an opportunity I've been dreaming of.

Kenton
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton,

I will tell you it is amazing to handle an original piece, as many will tell you. Funny Story: I was at Lee Jone's home. There was a particular sword he wanted to show me. A 14th Century Long Sword that was captured as war booty during one of the crusade expeditions. It has a gold mark islam placed into the blade to designate whom had captured it. He brought the sword to me but before I could handle the sword he made me drink my Ice Tea (wetting my fingertips) and then told me to eat some cheezy poofs and then some peanuts. Orange, salty finger tips and all. Then he handed the sword to me. He said something to the effect that she is tired old girl, a used piece, and that she has experienced more hardship in life than I ever will (I liked the fact he calls them "she"). The sword was very light, less than 2 lbs if I remember correctly and to my amazement it was still sharp with slight edge damage indicting she had seen some fights.

Not to sound like a drama queen but one can only imagine when handling swords of these types...what was the man like who held her in his hands? How he fought? How he died? I mentioned the white gloves and he said something to the effect of handling a polished sword yes but these old swords..no...just respect them and their history.

Allen's, at Merc Tailor, 15th Century Sallet is a marvel to look at, not a museum piece but a german knight's helm. The visor is bent to left from being constantly raised and lowered. When I first studied the helm Allen ask me "looking at the helm tell me if the man who wore it was right handed and left handed?" It's these moments in WMA that I live for.

All the best,

Todd

Kenton Spaulding wrote:
Hopefully I will be joining the aforementioned Maine contingent! Sounds like a great opportunity. Handle an original sword? Now that is an opportunity I've been dreaming of.

Kenton
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd,

Wonderful sentiments and stories.

I was in the west of Ireland not too long ago and looking at a stone with an outline of a viking ship on it. Sitting there quietly looking at the stone and across the bay I realised that the man who carved it had been there and had probably been looking at a longship while he carved. - These things bring tingles to the back of your neck ! It makes it all worthwhile.

Richard
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to see a picture of that.

Have you had a chance to read the thread about Paul McDonald and Rob Roy's sword on Sword Forum?

Here is the thread: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=80548

Cheers,

Todd

Richard Wells wrote:
Todd,

Wonderful sentiments and stories.

I was in the west of Ireland not too long ago and looking at a stone with an outline of a viking ship on it. Sitting there quietly looking at the stone and across the bay I realised that the man who carved it had been there and had probably been looking at a longship while he carved. - These things bring tingles to the back of your neck ! It makes it all worthwhile.

Richard
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd, I've just read it !! Thats amazing - there's a thread in the making here for such tales.

Thanks for making me aware of it.

Best wishes from over here for your weekend.

Richard

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Sword/ Christian Henry Tobler Gathering
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: