Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: L&R Foot Officer's SwordSOLD Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: For Sale: L&R Foot Officer's Sword         Reply with quote

This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

This is my favorite "project" sword. It's a Windlass Steelcrafts Confederate Foot Officer's sword, now inexplicably discontinued. It began life as a good reproduction of a Leech & Rigdon foot officer's sword of ca. 1862-1863 (Memphis, Tn., Columbus, Ms. and Selma, Al.), complete with distinctive L&R design of the C.S. ("Confederate States") casting on upper inside surface of guard. I completed extensive filework on the brass hilt to clean up some clumsy hand-chasing and generally make the hilt match originals of this type as closely as possible. I then completed my most thorough antiquing to date, using photos of original swords as my guide. You can see below that I succeeded to a remarkable degree.

I left the synthetic grip core in place in order to discourage misrepresentation of the weapon's age if/when it leaves my hands. As you may know, Confederate swords are among the most valuable American edged weapons, with an example of this type commanding prices most of associate with fine medieval and renaissance swords. Put this piece over your mantle and let friends believe you have the means to drop $7,000 on an antique sword.

DETAILS
The sword is lightweight and well-balanced, unlike many Civil War-ear reproduction swords.

In addition to the cast foliate design typical of foot officer's swords of this period, the hilt of Leech and Rigdon's version bears a distinctive "C.S." casting in an oval on the inside upper face of the guard.

This reproduction is very true to original Leech & Rigdon swords of this pattern. Casting of the brass guard is detailed and crisp, with intricate foliate designs on both top and bottom of the guard created by casting, openwork and some hand-chasing.

The blade is of very good quality. It is stiff, but can flex enough to indicate that it is appropriately heat-treated. It features a long, broad "unstopped" fuller typical of Confederate blades. The blade has a robust spine almost .25 inch thick at the guard and tapering to the false edge 6.5 inches long.

Weight: 1.75 pounds
Overall length: 36 inches
Point of Balance: 6.5 inches from guard

BOTTOM LINE
I just added a new sword to my collection, so I need to do a bit of trimming.

$150 firm, and that includes shipping within CONUS.
PayPal preferred (no extra charge,) but money order is o.k., too.

Attachment: 59.69 KB
1inspiration copy.jpg

Attachment: 57 KB
2inspiration copy.jpg

Attachment: 55.78 KB
4inspiration copy.jpg

Attachment: 76.01 KB
sale.jpg

Attachment: 79.71 KB
under copy.jpg

Attachment: 70.8 KB
bladeant copy.jpg

Attachment: 118.84 KB
[ Download ]

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

Hi Sean...

PM sent...

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink