Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Howard Clark O-tanto in folded1086/ wrought ironRemoved Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
L.S. Lawrence

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: For Sale: Howard Clark O-tanto in folded1086/ wrought iron         Reply with quote

This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

I have some expenses coming up and need to pass this on...

Howard Clark created this Hira-zukuri style O-tanto / wakizashi by folding his well known 1086 with antique wrought iron taken from an anchor chain. Nagasa measures a whopping 14”, truly putting it in the “buffalo killer” class. Finish polish on this blade is by Brandon Thell. Silver habaki and shirasaya are from Fred Lohman.

I don’t know how many others like it were made, but I have the feeling that the nature of the 1086/antique wrought iron combination, taken along with its sheer size, make it rare if not unique among Howard’s work.

(A similar 1086/wrought iron Clark tanto, though smaller with a more conventional sugata, but from the same period is currently for sale on Keith Larman’s site. That one has a 10” nagasa. You can check it out here:

http://www.summerchild.com/consign_mk_tanto.htm

Among his many talents, Keith takes very good photos, and you may appreciate his close-ups better than my humble attempts.)

Anything that could possibly cause disappointment? The blade itself is superb. Same for the habaki. The only thing I should mention is that the shirasaya was dinged on one side at some point before I acquired this. A dent basically less than a cm long on the ura side, invisible if the piece is on a stand, but you will see it on closer inspection.

I’ve been privileged to own this one for a while. My only hope is that the next owner gets it mounted. I guess we’ll see.

Price is $2300 firm and includes shipping and insurance. No trades please. CONUS ONLY. Paypal or USPS money order. First firm offer takes it. PM me with questions/ inquiries.

Thanks for looking!

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Howard Clark O-tanto in folded1086/ wrought ironRemoved
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic