Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about Wallon sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Question about Wallon sword         Reply with quote

Hello.
I'm not native english speaker, so, sorry for my english.
I have a firangi sword (india arm with european, usually belgian blade) and I can not identify origin of a blade.
it's flexible (!), straight, blade is 98 cm, whole thing is about 130 cm tip is not sharp, but blade looks "hard used", cross-section is a triangle shape, but on the last 20 cm its double-egged. at the beginning of the blade it has a 3 grooves, wit one going to the tip. may be it's a wallon sword? can somebody take a look on the attached pic, or send me a pic/link to good quality photo of wallon sword (especially a blade)
Thanks

Attachment: 105.48 KB
162668090_4.jpg
firangi
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It sounds like some sort of backsword blade; but I cannot see any detail at all in the photos which have been posted. Do you have any other pictures of the blade?
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a blade Happy so I can make any pics, what part of it do you want to see?
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, too bad. The sword in your picture doesn't seem to be a Walloon sword. Its hilt does resemble any Walloons that I know of--not closely, anyway. The disk pommel actually makes the Indian provenance of the hilt rather obvious. These threads have pictures that may help you get a better idea of what a "Walloon" sword is:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ht=walloon

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ht=walloon
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well, tanks for links.
Indian provenance of a hilt is not what I'm asking about, i now it's indian, but hilt form (and seller info) is a FIRANGI - they used to use european blade for it, and I'm trying to find out what kind of european blade can it be. Unfortunately, most descriptions of wallon sword talks about it's hilt, and I need info about a blade. Pics of Your link shows that wallon was become narrower, and my one is straight nearly all it's length.
But seller agreed to take it back - there are remains of welders work inside a hilts basket
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The name "Walloon Sword" defines the hilt type, not the blade type. Walloon swords were equipped with many types of blades.

Please help us by giving us a top-down undistorted photo of the blade so that we can see the actual shape of it and see how it is sized in proportion to the hilt.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

'Walloon' is a description of a hilt form, not of a blade. So if the blade is European, then it could have been mounted with a walloon style hilt. But it could also be put with any hilt that is commonly associated with a long, straight cavalry sword blade. I don't think there is any way to determine an exact sword form that this blade would have belonged to, nor is it necessary. I think that the most that can be discovered about the blade is perhaps a country of origin, or at the very least that it is European.

Best,
Jonathan

Added: Posted at the same time as Nathan!
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...'Walloon' is a description of a hilt form, not of a blade...

Cry

I supposed that it's some type, like "broadsword", "rapier" or "sabre" ... Sad
i'll try to make some pics today.

Jonathan, in your gallery "JGH Collection 6" on a photo DSCN0975.1

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jgileshopkins/alb...75277639/4

the highest sword looks like the one I'm asking about.
What is it?
Thanks.
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kerim Mamedov wrote:

... i now it's indian, but hilt form (and seller info) is a FIRANGI - they used to use european blade for it, ...

I've always thought the hilt type shown is called a Khanda. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The Firangi (note Gene Roddenberry's lack of imagination here Wink Razz ) name applied to certain indian swords I believe refers to the blade being of Eupopean manufacture. I could be wrong but what made me think this is that Firang or Farangi is indian slag for westerners, especially white europeans. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Khanda is wider and more massive, double edged and usually rhombus.
my one is one edged, triangle and flexible from the hilt to the tip.
It can be some other type of indian sword, (no one can count all ways they curwe any pice of metal they grabbed Happy )
but most probabely it is a firnagi sword, and you are right, that means "european".

Attachment: 84.84 KB
162668090.jpg

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kerim,
The sword in the photo is an English basket-hilted dragoon sword from c.1740. Here is a thread about that sword with some better photos: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...asket+hilt
Scroll down for more detailed pics and information. As I said in that thread, I believe that the blade is of German manufacture as it is stuck with what appears to be a king's head mark.

Jonathan
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Firangi"--a corruption of Portuguese--roughly means "white," "European," or "Western." It's a relatively common root among the people who had experienced extended contact with Portuguese colonists--Malaysians use the word "Peringgi" as a somewhat pejorative term for Westerners down to this day. However, I live in Indonesia--in Java, to be precise--and our former colonizers were Dutch so the colloquial Javanese term for Whites is "londo" from "Holland."
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That one looks pretty much like my one!
next question - is that english dragon sword flexible?
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kerim Mamedov wrote:
That one looks pretty much like my one!
next question - is that english dragon sword flexible?

I would say yes, it seems like it would be flexible, but I am not going to do any type of flex testing with it. But yes, it seems like it would flex well if I tried to do so with it.

Jonathan
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
"Firangi"--a corruption of Portuguese--roughly means "white," "European," or "Western." It's a relatively common root among the people who had experienced extended contact with Portuguese colonists--Malaysians use the word "Peringgi" as a somewhat pejorative term for Westerners down to this day. However, I live in Indonesia--in Java, to be precise--and our former colonizers were Dutch so the colloquial Javanese term for Whites is "londo" from "Holland."

That's really interesting. I never knew that.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

when I say "flexible", I mean it's bending a little bit, but I'm not trying to brake it Happy just a little try, 1-3 degree. just to see that it can bend.
another thing - something in copper color shows under metal (nearly unreal, I now) and it's not a rust.

BTW, I want to place a little note about yatagan, this weapon have an interesting story line, where to post it?
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
Kerim Mamedov wrote:

... i now it's indian, but hilt form (and seller info) is a FIRANGI - they used to use european blade for it, ...

I've always thought the hilt type shown is called a Khanda. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The Firangi (note Gene Roddenberry's lack of imagination here Wink Razz ) name applied to certain indian swords I believe refers to the blade being of Eupopean manufacture. I could be wrong but what made me think this is that Firang or Farangi is indian slag for westerners, especially white europeans. Just a thought.

Cheers,

I'll take that even further Firangi is derived from the Arabic 'Ferenjah', used in the 11th-14th century AD to refer to Crusaders, the term itself is derived from 'Frank' as in Charlemagne's 'Franks'.
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kerim Mamedov wrote:
when I say "flexible", I mean it's bending a little bit, but I'm not trying to brake it Happy just a little try, 1-3 degree. just to see that it can bend.

Yes--any good cutting sword should be able to do this. Without this kind of flexibility, it would break upon striking the object to be cut. The exact amount of flexibility (actually elasticity, since you'd want the sword to spring back to the original shape) varies depending on the desired balance between cutting and thrusting ability, though.
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My one is elastic - up to 15 degree with out any problem, and you are right - I can bend up to 3-5 degrees other blades (yatagan, chespot bayonet, kyu gunto) but this "probabely dragon sword" is much more elastic than others

Attachment: 49.51 KB
a.jpg

Attachment: 99.21 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about Wallon sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic