Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard for the Albion Gallowglass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Scabbard for the Albion Gallowglass         Reply with quote

Well, I finally finished the scabbard for the Gallowglass. I'm happy with the end result, but you folks can be the judge of whether it's worthy of such a fine sword. I tried to stay with the theme portrayed by this particular sword with the Irish/Celtic designs, and yet not going overboard on the fringe and odd bulky shapes portrayed by a few plates. The scabbard is finished in oxblood, with the suspension and baldric colored in oxblood mixed with a bit of black to match the grip. It hangs well for such a long sword, which surprised me. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attachment: 56.6 KB
2006_1226GallowglassScabbard0001.JPG

Attachment: 37.32 KB
2006_1226GallowglassScabbard0013.JPG

Attachment: 90.29 KB
2006_1226GallowglassScabbard0022.JPG

Attachment: 79.93 KB
2006_1226GallowglassScabbard0016.JPG

Attachment: 62.14 KB
2006_1226GallowglassScabbard0015.JPG

Attachment: 67.08 KB
2006_1216Gallowglass0006.JPG

Attachment: 28.89 KB
2006_1216Gallowglass0017.JPG

Attachment: 50.34 KB
2006_1216Gallowglass0001.JPG

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My word, that is a lovely, lovely sword.

Excellent work!

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Scabbard for the Albion Gallowglass         Reply with quote

Wow, that is a great looking scabbard! I love the way you rigged the belt/baldric suspension.

Any chance of a pic showing what is looks like worn? I am curious to see how it hangs and how the suspension is arranged.

A truly fantastic job. This is a skill I would love to learn.

How long have you been making these?

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice. What guide did you use, if you've no former experience?

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great job buddy!

I like what you did with the chape. It maintains the regional look without being too ethnocentric. Those fittings work well on the baldric too. You're right about one thing: it is red!

Cool!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Scabbard for the Albion Gallowglass         Reply with quote

Terry Crain wrote:
How long have you been making these?

Terry

This is Gregs third scabbard. Here's the other two:

Albion St. Maurice.

Albion Reeve.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So many interesting choices!!! Cool

Tunnelled lacing up the back seam, Incised not carved designs, cast copper findings.... really original.

Was this inspired by any particular image of a period scabbard? It is so very different than others I've seen. Great job!

Kel
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: This is a skill I would love to learn.         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and pictures Patrick. Now its even more impressive. Doesn't even look like a learning curve. All three of the scabbards look terrific.

I would love to attend a scabbard making class (unfortunately, I don't see the subject at the local community college). I am sure hands-on instruction would be a great time saver than self- aught trial and error. I especially get confused on how the intricate integral belt attachments are done. Having never seen one in person, I only can go by various pictures.

Now I will have to search for articles on scabbard making. I am sure someone must have covered this in some threads or articles on this site.

Greg, I think you did a great job and you obviously have a talent. BTW do I see Raymond's Quiet Press historic reproduction buckles and belt ends on the earlier scabbards? They look familar....

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg, that's gorgeous!
Great details. I like the themed decoration. I'm a sucker to symbols etc, and Celtic crosses are one of my definitive favourites. And on this one it fits in perfectly.
The colour looks very nice. It has a richness to it which goes well with design of the sword.
Interesting suspension too. Do you have a picture of how the sword hangs on the body?

Great work!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very impressive work, Greg ... excellent job all around !

You'll be moving to Wisconsin before you know it ;-) Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks positively fantastic. I really like the detail elements, especially the way you dyed the baldric to match the grip. I envy your skill Happy
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg;

Really beautiful work and beautiful results: I agree with Terry " What learning curve ? " or you shot up to the top real fast. Eek! Cool

I guess improvement is always possible with anything but to do so it will have to be a question getting better from an already very high level of craftsmanship !

You could or should consider getting into this professionally ? ( Mentioned before on another related / previous Topic showing your first scabbard. )

Partime maybe and working only on projects you find interesting ? ( Avoiding the pitfalls of taking commissions and the problem of having to meet deadlines ! Always hard and sometimes just play annoying for a small business: One option would be to buy a sword, make the scabbard for it and then sell the complete package instead of accepting orders. Could work at your own pace, do exactly what you like and not have any client issues other than getting paid. Wink Laughing Out Loud )

Oh, the financial risk would be low if you only work on one project at a time, pick swords you wouldn't mind keeping anyway and not be in financial need to recoup the expense quickly. I personally think that you could sell your work much faster than you could make them ! ( One a month here on myArmoury alone on the Marketplace Forum. )

Anyway, just a suggestion. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! those are awsome! The fittings you choose realy make them "pop"!
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I appreciate them more than you know.
I used Quiet Press fittings for all three scabbards; partly because they look good (good clean castings and made of the red bronze), and because most pieces represent some historical find, plus you can't beat his prices. I wish I could say that I had found a historical reference to base this scabbard off of, but there are few plates available for the period and place of the Gallowglass, and they all show a basic blocky, straight form with no suspension and stepping-fringe on the ends. With this sword I wanted the Irish/Celtic theme, yet needed to follow the long flowing lines and form of this beautiful blade, as well as the fact that I wanted to carry it with me to ren faires, etc.....sooooo; I took elements of historically correct suspension from the continent and added it to the slim lines - with squared off copper chape - of the scabbard, threw in the proper decorations for that Celtic flair, and there you have it. Oh, the lines are incised in the leather because it is only 2.5 oz. and too thin to carve. It took a wee bit o' time to do that to be sure!

I'll see what I can do to get a picture of the sword & scabbard hanging on me. Had planned on that this weekend anyway.:}

I wish I could say that I have a lot of training in this, but how do you train for making sword scabbards??? One day I just decided to try my hand at it, and because I had a few skills that combined together to make a decent work (not to mention a lot of luck, HA!), it all came together sort of naturally. I'll have to admit that this is something I enjoy doing, and yes I am going to begin accepting a few commissions as a sideline for anyone who is interested. I've been in the gasket making business for myself for the past 20 years, and I grow tired of dealing with major corporations who quibble over a .50 cent o-ring, not to mention <shudder>employees, Surprised Eek!

And Mac..........I have but two words to say to you: BITE ME!!!! Laughing Out Loud Wisconsin my behind! Thanks but no thanks, I'm a southern boy, born and bred. They couldn't afford me anyway, hehehe.

Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg,

You know what I think about your work already, but I wanted to chime in and add to the cheers.
You did a fine job with this scabbard. It is great to see how you take the sword and build on its character, adding ideas of your own in a way that makes the sum more than the parts.
Good scabbards are rare. I am happy to see you do this kind of work.

It will be great to see what you put together next Happy

When you do start accept orders, just remember to charge for the quality you deliver. Only a few do this kind of work.
I would be happy to see customers in general develop a greater appreciation of the work of the scabbard maker. For that to happen we need more quality makers that can show what a good scabbrd is all about.
Keep up your good work, Greg Happy

Best
Peter
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice work, Gregg! I really like the incised decoration. I recently did a (non-historical) scabbard with a lot of incising, and I found curved lines to be a real pain. I'm glad yours turned out so well. Was it a pain to get the throat of the scabbard to match the shape of the guard? I've tried a couple like that, and it wasn't quite as easy as I would have liked.

Guess I better get back to the chape that is fighting with me. I can't have you showing me up too much. Cool

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Instead of doing commission, try showing off how good you are, then "Auctioning off" your time; a bit like contracting :-p

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Scabbard for the Albion Gallowglass         Reply with quote

Perhaps a dumb question, Greg, excuse my ignorance, but do all three of your scabbards have a wood core? If I understand correctly, the leather is stitched over the wood core. If so, what type of wood is best?

I would like to give this a try and guess the wood core is the place to start. And that means finding a source for the right type of wood. Guessing home depo may not be the place.

Wondering if some woods are not suitable, too acidic not cured/dryed/aged enough, etc. ,any info would be appreciated.

Assuming you used wood, what tools did you use to shape it?

If wood is not involved, how in the world did you get the leather formed so perfectly on the scabbards? I know many production pieces (MRL comes to mind) come with a scabbard that is leather only (with metal throat and chape apparently glued on) without any wood core (one exception I know of, the Paul Chen "godfred viking sword has a wood core scabbard), but I assume they use some special machinary/sewing equipment to produce them that would not be easily duplicated by hand.

Sorry for all the questions, its just that your pictures sparked my imagination and fired my interest!

Best regards,

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Instead of doing commission, try showing off how good you are, then "Auctioning off" your time; a bit like contracting :-p

M.

Greg;

I sort of agree that selling what you have already made has the advantage of you keeping full control of how much you want to keep it a hobby or a real business and keeping it fun and not an obligation.

Again, I think you should be able to sell anything you make. Big Grin

On the other hand if you feel comfortable making commitments to delivery times and avoid taking more orders that you can handle and really want to make it more than an occasional occupation then GO FOR IT. ( I suspect that you are very reliable and honourable from our earlier conversations on that small project you declined to accept that it won't be an issue. Wink Cool )

( By the way I found somebody to make that small project for me locally and I appreciated your totally upfront and honest way of declining to do it. Completely Cool Big Grin )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter - Thanks once again for your kind and helpful words, both in our private messages and on public forums. Those kinds of compliments from the designer of the sword are the most precious to me.

Jean & M. - I have a fair idea of my time available to do the work, and plan on taking a limited number of commissions, but that is the way I would like to work it. Thanks for the ideas, Jean - they have a great deal of merit. Oh, and I'm glad to hear you found someone for that other project.

Terry - The old adage of "there are no dumb questions" fits the bill here, and it sounds like you have a decent idea of how some of it works already. To answer a few: Yes they are all wood-cored. I use poplar for several reasons, and yes it is of the Home Depot variety. Aye, some woods are acidic and others are too soft, and well...lots of reasons to pick your wood carefully. I also use a number of different tools to first cut the blade form into the two halves, and then after gluing, cutting rough shape, sanding, and finishing of the wood. I then hand stitch the leather to the core and work it from there. Peter has a paper he made available at one time which gives direction for the leather-working part which was the greatest help. Hope that helps.

Grey - GET TO WORK, MAN!!!! hehe.

Later
-Greg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard for the Albion Gallowglass
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: