Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkwood Armory rondel dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Darkwood Armory rondel dagger         Reply with quote

New toy! And it is wicked sharp! It went through it's cardboard box with absolutely no resistance! Eek!

Scott Wilson of Darkwood Armory made me this lovely rondel dagger. The dagger is about 19 1/4 inches long. The blade is just short of 15 inches. The blade has a triangular cross section with a nice stiff spine. The handle is carved from yellowheart wood and the light plays off the grain of the wood so nicely, unfortunately that does not show up in the photos. My apologies for the photos, they were taken with a disposable camera by someone with a complete lack of skill when it comes to photography. Blush

Attachment: 42.17 KB
rondel.jpg

Attachment: 18.92 KB
rondel2.jpg

Attachment: 29.03 KB
rondel_grip.jpg

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice Rondel Pamela. Cool I notice in the picture that the point comes to a small rounded tip, almost like a mini tanto point ?
Is this an accurate description or just the picture ? This would make for a less fragile point than one coming to a needle tip.

Oh, how thick is the blade at the guard and is the blade flat ground or hollow ground ?

I notice the length of blade at 15" : It this just a coincidence that my custom ordered design from A & A I am going for a 15" blade ? Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Now just a chick with a sword and a very wicked knife. Eek! Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gordon Clark

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm funny. I have 2 rondels an the way, one custom A&A and one from someone else. Both are 15" blades...

Looks nice Pamela!
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I notice the length of blade at 15" : It this just a coincidence that my custom ordered design from A & A I am going for a 15" blade ? Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Jean,
It must be that when I grown up, I want to be just like you. Razz The tip is pretty much just like it shows in the pictures. Other details will follow later.

Gordon and Jean,
Hmm, so is 15 inches fairly standard? I let Mr. Wilson pretty much do as he wished. I just requested that it be stiff, sharp and have the carved yellowheart handle. (Some of you know by now that yellow is my favorite color.) Happy

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just like 15" for a large dagger with plenty of reach, enought length to parry with as opposed to an 8" blade that is much to short to parry with unless incredibly lucky or skillful.

Anything longer gets into that hard to define zone where one isn't sure to call it a dagger or a short sword.

If I had to give a range of length according to this definition it would be between 12" and 18" with 15" being the happy medium.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice enough.

How is the whole thing assembled?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Confused
The tang and the blade seem to be one piece and the tang goes through both rondels and the grip and appears peened on the top rondel. The grip is one solid piece of wood. I don't think I can provide more details than that.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The new rondel looks great, Pamela! I especially like the yellowheart grip (though yellow isn't my favorite color).

Pamela Muir wrote:
....Jean,
It must be that when I grown up, I want to be just like you....

Ummm, I think Jean is a little huskier than you want to be. Laughing Out Loud

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Jean,
It must be that when I grown up, I want to be just like you. Razz

Oh, Pamela, I tell you to grow up all the time, and you never listen. Razz

I got to see this dagger last week. It's pretty cool! The grip is really pretty. The blade sort of has a rough, working tool finish to it that makes it look rather wicked.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

Should I? Razz
Bill Grandy wrote:

I got to see this dagger last week. It's pretty cool! The grip is really pretty. The blade sort of has a rough, working tool finish to it that makes it look rather wicked.

Besides yellow, I also love the simple utilitarian look. It's not fair that my weapons are prettier than I am. Laughing Out Loud

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Bill Grandy wrote:

Should I? Razz
Bill Grandy wrote:

Besides yellow, I also love the simple utilitarian look. It's not fair that my weapons are prettier than I am. Laughing Out Loud

Growing up ! What's that ? I have the same basic interest in swords and history I had when I was 10 years old. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Growing older does seem to be something hard to stop but slowing it down a bit exercising does help and I'm sure you are in better shape than I am aerobically: I've seen the training film clips! I do have to lay off the 900 pound leg pressed a bit as my ankles are getting sore ! ( A joke, but that weight IS my current 1 rep maximum and my ANKLES do need a break before they BREAK: No joke Eek! ) ( Oh, that's 11X45 pounds plates on each side of the 45° leg press machine. Sorry, a little bragging is good for the soul once in a while. )

Oh, the yellow handle looks great by the way, to get back on topic. Wink

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Confused
The tang and the blade seem to be one piece and the tang goes through both rondels and the grip and appears peened on the top rondel. The grip is one solid piece of wood. I don't think I can provide more details than that.

That's what I was after.

Basically wondered if it was peened or bolted.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I do have to lay off the 900 pound leg pressed a bit as my ankles are getting sore!

Ooooooh! Aaaaaah! Big Grin

Back on topic, sort of, Wink
I'm glad that I finally have a nice sharp dagger in my collection. My husband got my hopes up when he suggested I get a pair of stilettos and then dashed them when I realized he meant shoes. Laughing Out Loud

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
My husband got my hopes up when he suggested I get a pair of stilettos and then dashed them when I realized he meant shoes. Laughing Out Loud

Isn´t that a drag! I just got a few new training things and my girlfriend just nags that I should spend my money on new clothes or stuff like that. Like I need that, they are good and have been so for the last five or six years... Eek! Big Grin

Swordsman, Archer and Dad

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkwood Armory rondel dagger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic