Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swiss Dagger? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
François L'Archevêque

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Swiss Dagger?         Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a reenactor( Swiss, 1475), and I'm interested to have a Swiss dagger like this one:

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/2053.html

Did someone know if this exact shape of swiss dagger is good for my reenacting period?

Thanks!

François L'Archevêque
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In a word yes. It's my understanding that Holbein daggers were in use from the second half of the 15th century through the 16th century. You should be fine.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is some minor discussion in this topic about this.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mathieu Harlaut

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The shape of this one is clearly XVI th century. The overall look of a Swiss Dagger in the XVth century is more simple. Usually the handle is straighter and the "guard plates" thinner or plainer.

I have a couple of pictures at home on books, but they are fairly small and not very clear. I'll try to see what I can do with a scanner.

There are good examples of Swiss daggers of various size in the Osprey book : The Swiss at War 1300-1500. p23.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 May, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mathieu Harlaut wrote:
The shape of this one is clearly XVI th century. The overall look of a Swiss Dagger in the XVth century is more simple. Usually the handle is straighter and the "guard plates" thinner or plainer.

I have a couple of pictures at home on books, but they are fairly small and not very clear. I'll try to see what I can do with a scanner.

There are good examples of Swiss daggers of various size in the Osprey book : The Swiss at War 1300-1500. p23.

I would think that regional variation could account for that but perhaps not, I suppose it depends upon how fanatical his group is.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 03 May, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss Dagger?         Reply with quote

François L'Archevêque wrote:
Hi,

I'm a reenactor( Swiss, 1475), and I'm interested to have a Swiss dagger like this one:

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/2053.html

Did someone know if this exact shape of swiss dagger is good for my reenacting period?

Thanks!

François L'Archevêque

I see you have been a member since 2004 so welcome is a bit late, but a welcome first post.

I just found a picture of a Swiss like this dated to around 1550: Doesn't prove that one like this is too late for your period but it does show that they were some 75 years later. Source: Armes et Armures de Charlemagne à Louis XIV, par Paul Martin,
Conservateur du Musée historique de Strasbourg, © 1967 page 171 image 127 et 128

Note: For those curious, here is a Ballisar made by François
http://cf.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/francoislarc...mp;.src=ph

And I met him this weekend and admired a couple of his Sallets as well as this Ballisar. I started this topic on his armour
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6727 Just trying to get him some well deserved attention, even if I risk embarrassing him a little. For those looking for Living History high quality armour have a look. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
François L'Archevêque

PostPosted: Wed 03 May, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found these two replicas of XVth century pieces, but I don' t know their sources:

http://www.armabohemia.cz/imgnew/epees/poignards/swissd.jpg

http://www.armabohemia.cz/imgnew/epees/epees/EP30v3.jpg

The first one seems, to my eyes, very similar to the Holbein dagger of the 16th century. I would like to find an original XVth century dagger of this shape as a real proof. Because my reenactment group is a fanatical group : )
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 May, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sadly, this form of a dagger was also used by Hilters SA (see picture below, taken from "Messer" by Pat Farey). The inscriptions were filed out after 1934.
It is a "little" off topic, but i thought it might be of interest.

About the real baselard you can find a short article in Wikipedia, even with two nice pictures of original finds. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baselard

Attachment: 75.79 KB
messer017.jpg
Pat Farey, Messer, Zürich 2004. Page117

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 May, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a picture of such a dagger from 1564, but this form of dagger was also used a century before so the date of 1475 should be ok.

Attachment: 78.4 KB
messer018.jpg
Picture taken from
Heinrich Müller: Albrecht Dürer, Waffen und Rüstungen. Mainz 2002, Page 44.

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swiss Dagger?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic