Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Regent, Viceroy or AT from Christian Fletcher ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Wow..........

I vaguely remember that sword..........sure looks different today, I like.......

Thanks and I'm very glad you like it and I'm sure I will like it even more when I can handle it and not just drool while looking at the pics. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Hope you are past the bad luck, I think you had a very bad March with equipment problems, I read about somewhere!
( The blog on your site I think ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well, a bit of an update as the sword and scabbard is almost finished and ready for shipping.

That is wonderful! A most impressive work.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now we only have to wait for the long review full of hi-res pictures Wink
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Now we only have to wait for the long review full of hi-res pictures Wink

Well maybe not a full " official " review as I STILL haven't bought a digital camera but Christian has sent me some very high resolution pics that I will be able to make some nice close-ups using Photoshop, so there will be some nice pics to look at but maybe not the whole package of angled and side views one gets in the official reviews. Oh, the pics look great by the way but I'm waiting until I have the sword and can write more about it to post.

Also, I may be able to give some statistics like POB I'm not to sure about how to define (find ) the center of percussion with any certainty ( i could guess at it maybe).

In any case I can still give my rough estimates and my personal impressions about craftmenship/ design etc ...

Oh, the sword is ready for shipping so it's just a question of how kind the UPS and Canada Customs GODS are in getting the sword and scabbard to me. Wink Laughing Out Loud

At a guess a week to 10 days usually depending on the type of shipping used. ( Theoretically faster expedited shipping ? ).

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean;

Well, when you get tired of that one, let me know... that's a NICE sword!

I'm supposed to start putting together my 15th Century kit soon, so that would make a nice start on it! ALL my good swords are either 16th or 19th Century, so I have to do something drastic to solve that problem... Big Grin

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well. it's on it's way so the looking out the window checking for a DHL truck begings. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Oh, and the compulsive checking the tracking " OFTEN " ......... sigh ..... but a happy sigh. Big Grin

Oh, Gordon if, IF, I ever sell this one I'll ask you first if you want it. Wink Cool

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well. it's on it's way so the looking out the window checking for a DHL truck begings. Wink Laughing Out Loud ....

Any sign of the truck yet? Wink

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well. it's on it's way so the looking out the window checking for a DHL truck begins. Wink Laughing Out Loud ....

Any sign of the truck yet? Wink

Well I'm waiting for the tracking to tell me that it has cleared Canada Customs. Sad The usual waste of time !

Not worried yet since this can happen in one day or drag on for 3 or 4 days based on previous experience.

Funny it took only two days for the package to get to Montréal but as usual it's taking much more time to move the last couple of miles. Sad Confused Cry

So I'm checking the DHL site every 15 minutes to see if there is any activity !

Just getting the " Clearance delay " message for now: I may break down and give their 800 number a call if nothing happens today. I guess it's part of the FUN. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I should be picking up my Christian Fletcher sword tomorrow: That's the good news, less good is that the shipper he chose DHL won't act as my customs broker and I had to take a taxi to the nearest airport cargo terminal to get the package cleared through Canada Customs myself ( paperwork ).

That was yesterday and then I thought I could just wait for DHL to deliver the package ........ Well, NO ! I have to go back tomorrow to pay the customs Taxes since DHL won't pay it themselves and charge me later. In other words: They have no procedure for me to pay them by phone with my credit card or with CASH AT MY DOOR !

I hope this isn't too confusing for you because it was for me ! Anyway I have a friend who can give me a lift to and from the place(s) Canada Customs building and the DHL warehouse.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my first trip there and back to just fill in the customs clearance papers cost me $75 in taxi fares: YIKES ! ( Oh, and I couldn't pay the tax at that time because the package hadn't been inspected yet ).

( Note; Christian really feels bad about the " SNAFU " and I also thought DHL would be fine also, but they don't seem to do the custom's clearance the way UPS or FED EX or USPS would i.e. Do it themselves and charge me later. Confused Sad .

Oh, another point there was no information in the tracking or the FAQ page telling me I would have to take care of the Custom clearance, so if I hadn't called after 3 days of reading " CLEARANCE DELAY " nothing would have happened and I would still be wondering why it was taking so long.

Last note: I did get a lot of help from Laura at the DHL office who helped guide me through the customs clearance process. She just didn't have any way to adapt their normal way of doing things to my needs Sad
I should also mention that the Canada Customs guy even called me the next day to tell me the sword had cleared Customs Big Grin Cool The situation was annoying and frustrating but the people I dealt with were all very nice and helpful.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Went with a friend who gave me a ride to the airport cargo terminal and everything went well.

Now that I know how to do it and where to go it was much easier today: So, with DHL the problem
is just that I had do do the customs clearance and the fact that the location of the airport is 15 miles
away. Obviously I much prefer having packages home delivered and not having to spend a lot
on taxis or having a friend drive me there.

Will put together those pics soon and post an informal review sometime this weekend.

Oh, DHL would be fine for someone who lives close to the airport terminal and has the time to do the customs clearance themselves: Just a bad match of services offered and the services I needed or expected but the DHL people were very helpful. Don't want the two previous messages to unfairly blame them.

Well, sorry for the detour into my shipment problems but the information might be useful to somebody else if they run into similar issues. ( Hope it was somewhat informative & entertaining. Laughing Out Loud ).

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No car, huh? Smart move if you can get away with it, since a car is just a hole in the pavement, into which one must throw money. I wish I could get rid of mine! That would make a lot of room in the budget for swords and armour Big Grin . Unfortunately, then I would have to walk 10 miles to work Sad .

I look forward to your review of the sword!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So here are my impressions and opinions and sort of a review;

First, I am very pleased with the sword and the level of communication from Christian was very good: My e-mails were usually answered within a day or two and my questions answered. The total time from order to delivery was close to a year and maybe about 3 months later than expected, but Christian is careful in not giving hard and fast deadlines so the delivery time was well within the approximate estimate.

The scabbard is nice and thin and very attractive with a moulded thickening at the top where it matches the curves of the guard. The antiqued finish on the guard, pommel and grip ring has a nice darkening and aging one would expect from a sword exposed to the elements on one's sword belt but that has received daily cleaning but no polishing or a blued type of finish that has seen some wear. Oh, the fullers are reflected in the treatment of the scabbard and is very elegant.

The blade has a brushed finished a bit coarser than one sees on an Albion or A & A but the finish is even and has no deep or prominent scratches. The fullers do have a bit of machine tool marks but one has to look closely to see them.

The blade grind looks very regular with no noticeable rippling if one looks with one's eyes close to the blade.

The only minor flaws are that the last section of blade past the fullers and the point have very subtle asymmetry in profile shape and in width of the secondary bevels: I only mention this for those who would be unhappy with any geometric imperfections. The edges were very paper cutting sharp as I got them but are even sharper with just a little careful use of a ceramic hone and the burnishing of the edges with a very hard but smooth steel.

The blade is very stiff as it hardly bends at all if held on it's side when compared to my A & A 15th century twohander.
( not that the A & A bends so much as to be considered whippy, its just that the AT1435 is stiffer in comparison ).

Total length: 49"
Blade length: 37 3/4"
Blade width at guard: 2 5/16"
Blade width at mid point: 1 7/8"
Blade thickness at guard: estimated at 1/4"
Blade thickness about 3" from the point: 1/8"
P.O.B. 6"

General handling impressions/ comparisons:One handed it feels to me like my Gaddhjalt in blade presence but heavier in actual weight. My Tritonia feels a bit faster and is a little lighter. The huge A & A 15th century twohander is heavier but with just a little less blade presence.

Now twohanded the Christian Fletcher/ AT 1435 feels very fast and responsive and not at all ponderous.

In conclusion, to me, its a great sword for twohanded use at the very limit of onehanded usability if rapid recovery is not critical. My A & A twohander is barely useable one handed except under very special circumstances where one would use one hand for an extended thrust or cut and transition back to twohanded use as soon as possible.

Take the handling opinion with a grain of salt though as this is from just holding and slow swings with my swords and not true test cutting or practice swordplay. ( rooms to small in my house for that ).

This sword is for me a using cutting blade dressed up in really nice sword furniture and scabbard and very much what would be true tool of the trade for a period warrior. ( very much a using grade sword ).

( edited once for better clarity as I noticed a few awkward sentences reading it later: Trying to say to much with too few words I guess. Blush Laughing Out Loud )

Attachment: 60.8 KB
CF01.jpg

Attachment: 51.75 KB
CF02.jpg

Attachment: 60.35 KB
CF03.jpg

Attachment: 52.32 KB
CF04.jpg

Attachment: 54.34 KB
CF05.jpg

Attachment: 61.92 KB
CF06.jpg

Attachment: 58.92 KB
CF07.jpg

Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, I think it turned out very nicely. I like the look of the total package, the antiquing of the hardware, the contrast of the black sword belt to oxblood scabbard, etc.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Definately one to be proud of in the looks department, Jean. Sounds like it handles has you had hoped. Congrats on a very fine purchase. I'm with Allen on the fact that the overall package just seems to fit together very well. Thanks for sharing the pics and overview.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I hope you like the sword for a long time........... I think that's going to be the last one I make............

There's no other one just like that one, so...... its kind of unique..............

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I hope you like the sword for a long time........... I think that's going to be the last one I make............

There's no other one just like that one, so...... its kind of unique..............

Thanks, yes I like it more every time I pick it up. I think one has to give it some time getting used to a sword before one can really say that one knows what it will do well and how to use it best. ( strengths and weaknesses as far as handling is concerned. )

That it's probably the last one does make it special. Cool

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Regent, Viceroy or AT from Christian Fletcher ?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: