Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bit of fun with Albion's Moat Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Quivey

Reading list: 21 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Bit of fun with Albion's Moat         Reply with quote

Howdy folks - I decided to try my had at a DIY project using one of the Celtic period bronze blades from Albion's Moat sale. I'm not real well versed in the styles from that period, so I hope someone can tell me how I did as far as authenticity Wink The sword is just a present for an old friend who just got married, so I wasn't too worried about authenticity and concentraited more on making it look nice Big Grin

I used walnut heartwood from a tree that used to grow in my back yard for the pommel and grip, with copper accents, and poplar for the scabbard. All the carving, cutting, and shaping was done by hand (I used predominantly a straight chisel, some rasps, and a small plane).
I also used my dremel tool to do the engravings on the scabbard throat. The copper throat and chape are nailed into place. I probably should have glued the chape in place first before inserting the copper brads, because it is a little loose - but I console myself by saying that it's a decorative piece and won't be subject to much abuse Cool

The wood is finished in a light coating of olive oil.

The blade when it arrived

Guess it matched my plan fairly well

Finished product - ahh, shiny...

Detail

I haven't peened this yet, and know enough about bronze to not even try. My friend is one of two bronze hammer-smiths on the west coast, so I'll let him do what he wants.

Yep, I'm happy with how it turned out. [/img]
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The bronze age is out of my period of interest, so I can't say much about the authenticity. But for a home-made project, I think you did a really great job! That looks great!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
David Quivey

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Bill! It was my first "big" project. I think I'm hooked now - this DIY is addicting... Big Grin

Bill Grandy wrote:
The bronze age is out of my period of interest, so I can't say much about the authenticity. But for a home-made project, I think you did a really great job! That looks great!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done, David. I need to work up the courage to try something similar!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The project worked out like a pro! wow!
Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW Eek!
Very impressive!...I'm amazed at how nice that looks, this makes me want to try something like this myself.

-james
David Quivey

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys Big Grin Hey, if I can sit down and do it with minimal tools, anyone can! I'm just thankful that Albion was able to provide a blade at a price this student could afford Eek!
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm is it really You first project?Many so called 'profesionals' can't do that Surprised Great job!
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bit of fun with Albion's Moat         Reply with quote

David Quivey wrote:
Howdy folks - I decided to try my had at a DIY project using one of the Celtic period bronze blades from Albion's Moat sale. I'm not real well versed in the styles from that period, so I hope someone can tell me how I did as far as authenticity Wink

Well, if authenticity was the goal, not good Razz But the blade in itself is not historically in the first place. Celts were iron age for starters. There were tanged bronze swords in the late bronze age in Scandinavia, but other then being tanged bronze swords, that's where the resemblance ends. If you look cross-eyed from a large distance, you may recognize a british Ewart Park (see this example: http://1500bc.com/bronzeage/bronzes/ewart_par...2004_1.jpg ) sword in yours, as it's got a similar outline. But as for a first fantasy or just non-historical blade, you did a good job Happy
David Quivey

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bit of fun with Albion's Moat         Reply with quote

Ah, thanks Jeroen - that's exactly the confirmation I was looking for. I'm looking at it cross-eyed from the other end of the room, and... well... they're both leaf shaped! Cool I figured it was hopeless authenticity-wise as soon as I saw the tang, but what the heck :-D Good practice if nothing else...

Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
Well, if authenticity was the goal, not good Razz But the blade in itself is not historically in the first place. Celts were iron age for starters. There were tanged bronze swords in the late bronze age in Scandinavia, but other then being tanged bronze swords, that's where the resemblance ends. If you look cross-eyed from a large distance, you may recognize a british Ewart Park sword in yours, as it's got a similar outline.

Thanks Michal - now I need a shop and time Cool

Michal Plezia wrote:
Hmm is it really You first project?Many so called 'profesionals' can't do that Surprised Great job!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still very impressive work even if very " fantasy ": Lots of potential there to become an industry professional or a very serious hobbiest. Cool Cool Cool
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the celtic la ten่ period dates back to the fifth century B.C., I have seen some originals in museums, rather absent-mindedly I must admit, it does seem a rather correct handle for that period, or a not too great miss with respect to originals.

This sword does look very nice indeed, maybe the engravings on the blade are a bit fantasy with respect to the real celtic swords I saw a couple of summers ago.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bit of fun with Albion's Moat
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic