Bit of fun with Albion's Moat
Howdy folks - I decided to try my had at a DIY project using one of the Celtic period bronze blades from Albion's Moat sale. I'm not real well versed in the styles from that period, so I hope someone can tell me how I did as far as authenticity ;) The sword is just a present for an old friend who just got married, so I wasn't too worried about authenticity and concentraited more on making it look nice :D

I used walnut heartwood from a tree that used to grow in my back yard for the pommel and grip, with copper accents, and poplar for the scabbard. All the carving, cutting, and shaping was done by hand (I used predominantly a straight chisel, some rasps, and a small plane).
I also used my dremel tool to do the engravings on the scabbard throat. The copper throat and chape are nailed into place. I probably should have glued the chape in place first before inserting the copper brads, because it is a little loose - but I console myself by saying that it's a decorative piece and won't be subject to much abuse :cool:

The wood is finished in a light coating of olive oil.

The blade when it arrived

Guess it matched my plan fairly well

Finished product - ahh, shiny...

Detail

I haven't peened this yet, and know enough about bronze to not even try. My friend is one of two bronze hammer-smiths on the west coast, so I'll let him do what he wants.

Yep, I'm happy with how it turned out. [/img]
The bronze age is out of my period of interest, so I can't say much about the authenticity. But for a home-made project, I think you did a really great job! That looks great!
Thanks Bill! It was my first "big" project. I think I'm hooked now - this DIY is addicting... :D

Bill Grandy wrote:
The bronze age is out of my period of interest, so I can't say much about the authenticity. But for a home-made project, I think you did a really great job! That looks great!
Well done, David. I need to work up the courage to try something similar!
The project worked out like a pro! wow!
WOW :eek:
Very impressive!...I'm amazed at how nice that looks, this makes me want to try something like this myself.

-james
Thanks guys :D Hey, if I can sit down and do it with minimal tools, anyone can! I'm just thankful that Albion was able to provide a blade at a price this student could afford :eek:
Hmm is it really You first project?Many so called 'profesionals' can't do that :surprised: Great job!
Re: Bit of fun with Albion's Moat
David Quivey wrote:
Howdy folks - I decided to try my had at a DIY project using one of the Celtic period bronze blades from Albion's Moat sale. I'm not real well versed in the styles from that period, so I hope someone can tell me how I did as far as authenticity ;)

Well, if authenticity was the goal, not good :p But the blade in itself is not historically in the first place. Celts were iron age for starters. There were tanged bronze swords in the late bronze age in Scandinavia, but other then being tanged bronze swords, that's where the resemblance ends. If you look cross-eyed from a large distance, you may recognize a british Ewart Park (see this example: http://1500bc.com/bronzeage/bronzes/ewart_par...2004_1.jpg ) sword in yours, as it's got a similar outline. But as for a first fantasy or just non-historical blade, you did a good job :)
Re: Bit of fun with Albion's Moat
Ah, thanks Jeroen - that's exactly the confirmation I was looking for. I'm looking at it cross-eyed from the other end of the room, and... well... they're both leaf shaped! :cool: I figured it was hopeless authenticity-wise as soon as I saw the tang, but what the heck :-D Good practice if nothing else...

Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
Well, if authenticity was the goal, not good :p But the blade in itself is not historically in the first place. Celts were iron age for starters. There were tanged bronze swords in the late bronze age in Scandinavia, but other then being tanged bronze swords, that's where the resemblance ends. If you look cross-eyed from a large distance, you may recognize a british Ewart Park sword in yours, as it's got a similar outline.

Thanks Michal - now I need a shop and time :cool:

Michal Plezia wrote:
Hmm is it really You first project?Many so called 'profesionals' can't do that :surprised: Great job!
Still very impressive work even if very " fantasy ": Lots of potential there to become an industry professional or a very serious hobbiest. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Well, the celtic la tenč period dates back to the fifth century B.C., I have seen some originals in museums, rather absent-mindedly I must admit, it does seem a rather correct handle for that period, or a not too great miss with respect to originals.

This sword does look very nice indeed, maybe the engravings on the blade are a bit fantasy with respect to the real celtic swords I saw a couple of summers ago.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: