Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ohio/Midwest Gathering aka Round Table IV Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Gentry wrote:
I won't be able to make it next weekend, somethign has come up.

Sorry was looking forward to it.

Jeff,
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully we'll see you at the next gathering.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Gentry wrote:
Hey Chad

I won't be able to make it next weekend, somethign has come up.

Sorry was looking forward to it.

Jeff

Jeff,

Safe to assume I will not be meeting anybody in Columbus to drive down?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mark Weldon

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only Albion sword I own is the Migration type D, which I'll bring. Don't know how helpful that will be since Albion discontinued their 1st generation line.

And yes, I'll have 50 some pool noodles and some plastic milk jugs.

Mark
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've sent out more info to the attendees. If you didn't receive it, please let me know.

Looking forward to this weekend. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank everyone for a good time. We had 9 people show up, and it was a lot of fun.

Thanks everyone who attended and to Albion for sending the box of goodies!

Attachment: 89.09 KB
Group1.jpg
The group, minus Mark Mattimore.

Attachment: 92.96 KB
carnage1.jpg
The carnage.

Happy

ChadA

Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

The group, minus Mark Mattimore.

I guess that's what I get for leaving early. Sad

Thanks to Chad for another great event. Thanks to Albion for lots of great toys. Big Grin

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Mark Weldon

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A good time was had by all--except possibly the unfortunate pool noodles.

We tried to find some peasants, but they all went into hiding.

Thanks again, Chad.

Mark
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like it was a good shindig! Nothing brightens a day like seeing the pool noodles litter a stricken field.

So.... tell me about that Crecy. I have already ordered mine, but even once it gets shipped, it is going to my family in Colorado, and I won't get to visit it until Christmas. While I'm waiting, I have to live vicariously through slightly more fortunate souls.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for another great RT party Chad! The weather was far better this time than it was in March. A smaller group than last time, but at least we weren't stepping over each other's persons and swords. Wink -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
So.... tell me about that Crecy.

It was well-received and someone placed an order for one. People generally seemed to like it.

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good gathering, good weather, a good time.

Now for the opinion part of this post. This is my opinion only and is colored by my preferences. It idoes NOT represent the opinion of anybody other than me!! :-)

The Crecy...

...I think its a bit of an oddball. I also think it represents on of the best values in the Next Gen line. Especially for a beginner who is working to difine sword preference. It is a solid value and an ideal starter sword. The Crecy is not a single hander and it is not a longsword either. It sits on the fence between the two, with all the benefits and drawbacks of being there. That's why I think its a good starter sword. If you're not sure what you like this is an affordable Albion to start with. I think it will grow with you no matter what direction you ultimately go, for a while. However, when I used it as a single hander I wanted a bit less sword. As a Longsword I wanted a bit more sword. Unfortunately it does not mesh with my preferences NOW. I want something distinctly single handed, or distinctly Longsword. A year or two ago this sword would have been a dream for me though.

Many people are going to lovethe Crecy though for very good reasons. It does a reasonable job addressing requirements that are usually met by very different and distinct tools, at a reasonable price point.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe,

Thanks for the opinion. What you say seems very valid and thought out, but does raise a question in my mind. Namely, to what extent will the size of the person using the sword affect how they view it? As a small guy (5' 7", 140 pounds), I might find it to fit into the longsword catagory more. I know that very small people can comfortably use very large swords, but I have found that I have a personal preference towards swords of a more moderate scale.

Either way, I know I will like it for what it is, and when the time comes to get a sword that is more definatively single- or two- handed... well, that is why they have the collector's club.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Good gathering, good weather, a good time.

Now for the opinion part of this post. This is my opinion only and is colored by my preferences. It idoes NOT represent the opinion of anybody other than me!! :-)

The Crecy...

...I think its a bit of an oddball. I also think it represents on of the best values in the Next Gen line. Especially for a beginner who is working to difine sword preference. It is a solid value and an ideal starter sword. The Crecy is not a single hander and it is not a longsword either. It sits on the fence between the two, with all the benefits and drawbacks of being there. That's why I think its a good starter sword. If you're not sure what you like this is an affordable Albion to start with. I think it will grow with you no matter what direction you ultimately go, for a while. However, when I used it as a single hander I wanted a bit less sword. As a Longsword I wanted a bit more sword. Unfortunately it does not mesh with my preferences NOW. I want something distinctly single handed, or distinctly Longsword. A year or two ago this sword would have been a dream for me though.

Many people are going to lovethe Crecy though for very good reasons. It does a reasonable job addressing requirements that are usually met by very different and distinct tools, at a reasonable price point.

I appreciate your evaluation Joe and thank you for your input. However, I feel like nit picking Wink

-The Crécy *is* a Longsword.

That category is very broad. I respect your impression of the Crécy and I think I understand your standpoint. By wanting more distinct sword types you can appreciate aspects that move towards the more advanced, and that is a fine thing. *But*, the Crécy is dedicated in its own way. As you´ve said yourself: it performs in a way that normally smaller *or* larger swords would. That is what it is all about. There are of course some compromizes to be made to achieve this, but that is true for every single type of sword ever constructed.

The Crécy might be a good beginner sword, because of its handling. It does however represent an authentic class of swords that were developed for their own merits. There are quite a few surviving originals sharing the same specific characterstics of the Crécy: weapons built for specific purposes. Light and handy, but still powerful weapons.
The Crécy is a longsword belonging to the rather nebulous group of bastard swords: an important group. To disqualify these swords since they do not fill the same criteria as shorter single handers or bigger weapons is a mistake.
The Crécy is agile enough to be wielded with one hand (but as you pointed oput: it will never perform in a way that a dedicated single hander does: that is of course obvious) and it is large enough for use with two hands (although it is not as large as a great sword of war: it is meant to be quicker and lighter than those.)
The NG Crécy was designed to represent those light & agile longswords reaching towards bastard sword character.

I also think one should avoid calling this a civilian sword (I have a feeling this is something that is going to be used to describe this sword:) ). That is a name or classification that is being used often today in a way I feel confuses the understanding of swords in general.
I have seen swords clearly intended for battlefield use that are crisper and more acutley defined than moslty anything available on the market today. Blades are finer and lighter, edges thinner than most realise. That does not disqualify these swords from serious use, but you need to know how to use such a weapon or it will not serve you well.
War swords do not all have to deal with armoured combat, even if many splendid types were developed for just this purpose. There are many situations where a nimble and murderous wepon is well at hand in the press of a battle.

The NG Crécy is a very different sword from the first Albion Line Crécy. They only share a name and *some* aesthetic aspects. The Albion Line Crécy filled many niches, that now are represented by many different swords in ther NG line.
Charles Adams

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that I had a really great time at my first Albion round table. Thanks to Chad and the guys for making it a truly awesome experience. Also, if there really is a number of people in the eastern ohio, western pennsylvania area that are looking for a round table event, I would love to learn how to put one together. If I was to do so, it would not be until next summer, but I know it would be a lot of fun. Thanks again guys, Aaron and I had a lot of fun!
Charles
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Joe,

Thanks for the opinion. What you say seems very valid and thought out, but does raise a question in my mind. Namely, to what extent will the size of the person using the sword affect how they view it? As a small guy (5' 7", 140 pounds), I might find it to fit into the longsword catagory more. I know that very small people can comfortably use very large swords, but I have found that I have a personal preference towards swords of a more moderate scale.

Either way, I know I will like it for what it is, and when the time comes to get a sword that is more definatively single- or two- handed... well, that is why they have the collector's club.

-Grey

I was probably at 6'1' 227 the day of the event. So the size of the user certainly will matter in the individual impression. Still its really not what I've come to visualize as a Longsword or as a single hander. I think it is designed to fit in the middle, and it makes some compromises to get there. However, I think that's the whole point of this sword and in the respect it is very well done.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

I appreciate your evaluation Joe and thank you for your input. However, I feel like nit picking Wink

Peter...please feel free to nit pick all you like since this one generated quite a bit of discussion Saturday and a professional perspective is helpful! I tried to be very careful to state that this is all just my opinion and preference in action. Mine is a hobbiest view at best, not a professional one.

Peter Johnsson wrote:

-The Crécy *is* a Longsword.

I should have been a bit more careful on my sweeping "not a longsword" generalization. :-0

It would be more correct for me to say its not what I look for in a longsword (right now). :-)

Peter Johnsson wrote:

The Crécy might be a good beginner sword, because of its handling.

I think this is a good starter because the price is right and because it can be applied in a variety of ways. While I've come to appreciate certain personalities in my tools, a few years ago a larger Longsword Happy would have been too much for me to handle and I would not have liked it. Finding something that would fill several roles was the order of the day. Now I'm in a different place. I don't really know what comes next!

Peter Johnsson wrote:

It does however represent an authentic class of swords that were developed for their own merits.

I assumed that was the case or it would not be in the line. :-)

Peter Johnsson wrote:

To disqualify these swords since they do not fill the same criteria as shorter single handers or bigger weapons is a mistake.

Never was my intent. Its just not what I want right now and for some of the folks I play with from time to time its not going to be the right fit either. I really hope that my post did not come accross as negative towards this sword. As I continue saying, I think it is an incredibile value AND I think that anybody looking for a first sword or a first Albion Next Gen should really take a long look at this one, unless their collecting preferences are very well defined. I can't really speak with any intelligence to its historical application and role, so I did not and will not try too. All that said, for me, its not at a place where I'm collecting right now. Cool

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 08 Aug, 2005 11:41 am; edited 4 times in total
Mark Weldon

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As the attendee who ordered the Crecy, perhaps I should weigh in with my impressions.

First, I would not discount Joe's opinions at all. When he talks about a beginner, I would fit that category. Joe has done some training with the longswords, and of course that will color his opinion on any piece in that category. I have not had the benefit of any training, so all my impressions come down to subjective, uninformed feel. This sword felt good to me, and I cut with it as well as I could cut with anything (my technique seemed to involve beating, rather than cutting, the pool noodles).

I am also shorter than Joe, at 5'8, so we can assume that enters into the preference to a degree. I also prefer a somehat lighter sword than Joe does, but this is because as the old man of the group I have some issues with tendonitis. This makes the heavier swords, or those with extreme blade presence uncomfortable for me to wield.

The other sword present that I liked, and considered ordering was the Laird, but most of my other swords are single handers so I opted for a hand and a half style. The price point was the final deciding factor.

The other attendees had good impressions of this sword also, so it should make a good seller for Albion.

Mark
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Weldon wrote:
As the attendee who ordered the Crecy, perhaps I should weigh in with my impressions.
First, I would not discount Joe's opinions at all. When he talks about a beginner, I would fit that category. Joe has done some training with the longswords, and of course that will color his opinion on any piece in that category.
Mark

Regarding the training aspect, I'm very much a beginner or as I prefer a hobbiest. So please be careful giving me any authority based on my "training"!! Eek!

To be clear, when I say beginnner I mean a somebody new to the hobby, as either collector or practicioner AND I'm not trying to pigeon hole the Crecy as a beginner sword. Based on my limited experience and introspection, this is what I wanted my first sword to be all those years ago. Unfortunately, my first sword was not the Crecy, and its long gone from my collection now. I also want to emphasize that the price point on it cannot be beat, especially with the current discount.

Mark, you're right about my very limited training influencing my opinion. Training has changed my preference and since my training is very incomplete, many of my opinions are incomplete as well. Since I can only speak from the context of my experience I try to make sure that what I share is assessed in that light and I hope people recognize that everyone will have a different experience than me. Because of my limited training, I struggle with some of the shorter blades because they throw my distance and timing off, they're just not comfortable for me. The Crecy was not comfortable for me (which was unexpected), so I cut with it once and never really went back to it. However, I could learn to use it and other people perform well with shorter and lighter blades.

I have not worked hard to learn a broad base of techniques so I try to force the tool to fit the technique I know. Since I fight with some of the tools instead of working with them, I like some of them a bit less. If I trained more I would be able to overcome my limitations and my preferences would probably change. But swords are just a hobby. They don't pay my bills so they don't get the lion's share of my time.

Mark Weldon wrote:

The other attendees had good impressions of this sword also, so it should make a good seller for Albion.

Mark

I agree, I think its an incredible value, just not for me! Cool

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 08 Aug, 2005 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
First, I would not discount Joe's opinions at all.

I don't think anyone's doing that. The sword's designer is simply elaborating on Joe's statement, which could have been a bit better worded in the Joe's initial post. I also think Joe's done a good job of clarifying his opinion is proceeding posts.

Since I first handled the Crecy I've described it as a "jack of all trades" kind of design. I think this is a better descriptor than the "neither fish nor fowl" approach that Joe initially used. This latter approach tends to give the reader an impression that the sword is lacking in these areas, which I don't think the Crecy is.

I think theCrecy is an ideal sword for someone who is small of stature, but that doesn't mean it's too small for a larger person. At 5'11" and 225 pounds I'm not exactly small, but I found the Crecy to be an adequate longsword for me. While I prefer my longswords to be in the size range of Albion's Baron or Regent that is only a personal preference, not a definitive statement. The NG Crecy would work well in any number of scenarios. There are probably specific designs that might serve better in specific circumstances, but the Crecy seems to be an excellent all-around design. I don't need one since I already have enough longswords, but I appreciate the Crecy's versatility and I was tempted to buy one becasue of this.

I still think this will be one of Albion's most popular designs simply because of it's broad appeal.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:
First, I would not discount Joe's opinions at all.

I don't think anyone's doing that. The sword's designer is simply elaborating on Joe's statement, which could have been a bit better worded in the Joe's initial post. I also think Joe's done a good job of clarifying his opinion is proceeding posts.

For what its worth, I did not feel like my opinion was discounted, although I am surprised I generated so much discussion.

Sometimes subjective things like opinions ARE hard to communicate clearly on the first attempt. Big Grin There are assumptions that go with opinions that are easy to overlook when posting. Without adding them all, everyone views the opinion post through the lense of their own opinion, which seems to cause quite a bit of confusion.

I guess its nice to see my simple amatuer opinion even blip on anybody's radar. Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ohio/Midwest Gathering aka Round Table IV
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: