Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Late 16th Century Flamberg Bearing SwordSOLD Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean O'Sirin

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 29 Feb, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Late 16th Century Flamberg Bearing Sword         Reply with quote

This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

Picked up this little guy as an investment during lockdown. It looks like an original to me. Patina is right and age on the wood and leather on the handle is about what you'd expect. Blade is quite edgy and even though it stands about 6' 2", the weight is surprisingly manageable at about 9 pounds. A not uncommon hilt style, you can see a famous similar sword located at the Cleveland art museum https://www.clevelandart.org/art/1919.71
I would like to sell this, but the handle has extensive damage. It's loose and moves about hence the guard is loose as well. The leather that is left is falling apart. One of the side rings have a couple cracks, but is still in place and not going anywhere.
On the upside the blade is in great shape and the subtle ornamentation on the guard and pommel is very nice and is also tight, no wiggles.
75 1/2" overall, 57" blade, guard is 20 1/2 wide, POB is 8" or right at the parry lugs.
Here is a a response to a different post about this sword I received from Neil (author 'The Two-handed Sword) .
N Melville:
"Hi Sean, this is an interesting sword - the style is North German, c.1580-1600, intended for parading, ceremonial and possibly guarding the ensign but not for real combat which is why so many 2-handers like this survive. It is also the style frequently copied in the 19th century for people who wanted a 'bit of history' to hang on the wall. Whether yours is an authentic 16th century sword or one of these replicas I cannot tell from a photo. But the poor condition might suggest that it is 400 years old."

A great opportunity to get a centerpiece for your collection. You can tell that this is a domineering piece in an already impressive display by the pic I included.
Price is $4000 CONUS. I'll cover shipping as I don't want anyone to get a heart attack after seeing actual cost of shipping this monster.

Attachment: 51.92 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 57.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 34.39 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 35.04 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 41.26 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 135.16 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 75.27 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 135.21 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 136.88 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 84.67 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Late 16th Century Flamberg Bearing SwordSOLD
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic