Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Rondel Dagger made form Mosin-Nagant bayonetSOLD Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alex Indman

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Rondel Dagger made form Mosin-Nagant bayonet         Reply with quote

This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

Trying to free up space by selling some of my old hobby knifemaking projects.

This dagger started with a Mosin-Nagant (Russian WW1-WW2 period military surplus rifle) bayonet that I had no use for at all. I picked it up one day several years ago, when it struck me that it could be turned into a crazy medieval/fantasy dagger or heavy stiletto. So I dug up some leftover knifemaking supplies and tools, and a few weekends later it ended up as a sort of late type of rondel dagger with minimalistic rondels (unobtrusive enough to allow for "forward" as well as "hammer" grip.
Overall, it is of course not exactly historical (what with the blade cross section and the grip covering), but looks to me as a businesslike weapon some knight or man-at-arms of modest means could carry on a late medieval battlefield (say Wars of the Roses period). It is certainly strong enough to pound through mail or even thin plate, or push into gaps of armor and pry the pieces apart!

Pictures are in the album under this link: http://public.fotki.com/aindman/mosin-rondel-dagger/

It is approximately 18" overall, heavy crusiform blade 13.5" long (blued) and 4.5" handle.
Handle is covered in ray skin, black laquered then the high points lightly sanded (a nod to Japanese tanto handles here). In cross section it is more or less square with very rounded corners.

The rondels are 1/8" brass, 1" in diameter. The bottom one (guard) was fitted tightly over the blade and silver soldered in place. The top one (pommel) was pinned in place over an iron washer (both washer and the end of the tang are blued like the blade, for a nice contrast).

The sheath is heavy leather moulded around the blade and guard, soaked in hot beeswax for hardness. The point is covered with more or less conical brass chape (soldered on the back and bottom). The top part that fits around the guard is covered by a strip of brass held with two rivets on the back. A brass D-ring for suspension strap goes through it.

Asking $45, shipping in continental US included.
PayPal is the preferred payment method.

Feel free to ask any questions if interested.

Thanks.
Alex.

Attachment: 357.04 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Rondel Dagger made form Mosin-Nagant bayonetSOLD
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic