Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Edward III Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: A&A Edward III         Reply with quote

I posted this on *ahem* some other forum, but didn't get many good answers.

Does anyone here have any opinions on this sword by Craig and the boys?

Here are some stats Russ took off one he was scabbarding:

Overall length: 42.5 inches
Blade Length: 32.75 inches
POB: 3.5 inches from cross
Weight 3.6 lbs

Thanks!

Sorry the pic is so huge. Is there a way to cut it down in size? This is the actual size of the image on A&A server, but it appears smaller on the webpage...

Attachment: 34.58 KB
157detail.jpg
Edward III by A&A

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sized the photo down for you in Photoshop.

I absolutely love this piece. It's so much larger in-person than the photos and stats would indicate. In fact, a quick look at the photos on A&A's site as well as those of the original really would make one think that it's a fairly typical single-handed sword. The proportions are the same as much smaller swords, but it's simply considerably scaled up to a much larger overall weapon!

The detail is quite nice and worth every penny of what A&A is asking for it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've not had the pleasure of handling this fine looking A&A piece , but from what I see, and knowing A&A's excellent reputation ..... it's awesome !
'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A quite impressive sword, which would be nice to see IRL. I would expect that the A&A guys are less than happy with Hanwei ripping off the design. I find it hard to believe that the Chinese guys went to Europe and researched the original piece...
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
A quite impressive sword, which would be nice to see IRL. I would expect that the A&A guys are less than happy with Hanwei ripping off the design. I find it hard to believe that the Chinese guys went to Europe and researched the original piece...

Yeah, the Hanwei looks like a copy of a copy of a copy.....

Here's a pic of the Hanwei hilt and a full pic from ancient-east.com. (Just for Nathan, I've attached one pic and linked another in from the outside)

Attachment: 40.36 KB
[ Download ]

Happy

ChadA

Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's not my style at all, however I can certainly appreciate the beauty of it. And to see the Hanweii model in the same post really brings out the quality of the A&A piece. Some fine work.
Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Evenin folks good to type at yea         Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. It realy is an impressive sword. I think the element that doesn't come across is that it is sized like a "Great Sword of War" as Ewart was so found of describing them.

Chad I think you where wondering on the useable vs state sword issue. I would say it is quite useable but obviously a Royal Sword if the ED III connection holds true. There is an indication of this on the sword according to Ewart. He describes the grip actually having signifigant wear patterns coresponding to the areas where the fingers and especially the thumb would land, if I remeber correctly. This would be a detail that I doubt a faker of the period when the sword came to light would have added and kept the rest of it so pristine.

There is said to be an accompanying dagger as well but I have only seen a very blury sales card showing the two items, so it is difficult to tell how good it is.

The porticullus detail on the blade is interesting as it is described as being just the gate in books and such but when one realy gets close in, I felt, there was signifigant remains of the chains depicted as well, so included them on our replica.

It is interesting to see the Chinese piece. It is not to bad. The details are a bit off as they missed the caps on the ends of the crossguard and some other bits and I think I remember their size being smaller.

Well best to all and exquise the color I had to try out some of the bells and whistles
Craig
Laughing Out Loud

PS OH cool spell ckeck now I can look smirt two. -- ohhh
Corse now I have to upgrade my browser
Patrick Hastings
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Evenin folks good to type at yea         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. It realy is an impressive sword. I think the element that doesn't come across is that it is sized like a "Great Sword of War" as Ewart was so found of describing them.

Chad I think you where wondering on the useable vs state sword issue. I would say it is quite useable but obviously a Royal Sword if the ED III connection holds true. There is an indication of this on the sword according to Ewart. He describes the grip actually having signifigant wear patterns coresponding to the areas where the fingers and especially the thumb would land, if I remeber correctly. This would be a detail that I doubt a faker of the period when the sword came to light would have added and kept the rest of it so pristine.

There is said to be an accompanying dagger as well but I have only seen a very blury sales card showing the two items, so it is difficult to tell how good it is.

The porticullus detail on the blade is interesting as it is described as being just the gate in books and such but when one realy gets close in, I felt, there was signifigant remains of the chains depicted as well, so included them on our replica.

It is interesting to see the Chinese piece. It is not to bad. The details are a bit off as they missed the caps on the ends of the crossguard and some other bits and I think I remember their size being smaller.

Well best to all and exquise the color I had to try out some of the bells and whistles
Craig
Laughing Out Loud

PS OH cool spell ckeck now I can look smirt two. -- ohhh
Corse now I have to upgrade my browser

Craig, is that hilt Gold plated or is it a polished alloy? Is the pommel decorated and enameled on both sides?

Patrick Hastings Happy
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Howdy Patrick         Reply with quote

Yes the guard and pommel are gold plated, this conforms to the original. The pommel is not decorated on the back side. The original has a stone (now quite cloudy) that probably has a religous artifact behind it. Possibly cloth if I remember correctly.

Craig
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,
Are the rings on the grip plated as well? It's hard to tell from the photo.

Also, would you consider just doing a bronze version with no plating?

Chad

Happy

ChadA

Patrick Hastings
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy Patrick         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
The original has a stone (now quite cloudy) that probably has a religous artifact behind it. Possibly cloth if I remember correctly.

Craig

very interesting, I wonder what exactly is in there?
thanks.

Patrick Hastings Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy Patrick         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
The original has a stone (now quite cloudy) that probably has a religous artifact behind it. Possibly cloth if I remember correctly.

In your reproduction, where did you guys get your supply of religous artifacts? Wink

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy Patrick         Reply with quote

Patrick Hastings wrote:
thanks.

IIRC, it's part of the shroud of Edward the Confessor.

Happy

ChadA

Patrick Hastings
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy Patrick         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Patrick Hastings wrote:
thanks.

IIRC, it's part of the shroud of Edward the Confessor.

what does "IIRC" stand for?

Patrick Hastings Happy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy Patrick         Reply with quote

Patrick Hastings wrote:
what does "IIRC" stand for?

If I Recall Correctly.

Happy

ChadA

Patrick Hastings
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy Patrick         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Craig Johnson wrote:

In your reproduction, where did you guys get your supply of religous artifacts? Wink

they just need a supply of dirty crystal so you can't see that its an old gym-sock piece Happy

Patrick Hastings Happy
Joshua Hemingway

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man that thing is just stunning....

Of swords out there that is I realy want for my own little colection.

J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Hello All         Reply with quote

Yes the bands are plated as well. I am not sure what has been deciphered on the original I need to go check me notes. Its very hectic here of late so it maybe a bit till I can do that.

Actually we go through Chuck's Artifacts new and used :-)

Keep well
all
Craig
W. Patrick McGuigan

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always been impressed with that Arms and Armor Edward III sword. I really hope to buy it some day Happy

By the way, does anyone know if there is an original scabbard for this sword? Hanwei didn't seem to do a bad interpretation of it. Do you think the scabbard would have looked like that?
Robert Grant Gomm

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what is the grip wrapped in? Oakeshott says the original is probally adder skin, but I imagine that might be a bit difficult to come by. but is it some other exotic skin (like ray skin or something), or just leather? Also, is the pommel piened on or screwed on?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Edward III
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: