Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fantasy Saber from Vladimir Cervenka Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Fantasy Saber from Vladimir Cervenka         Reply with quote

Hello
Vladimir Cervenka just finished a saber for me,and sent some pics,and I thought I`d share a couple-three. i`am going to call her, "Strange Wings" as in the ,Golden EarRing, song :-)

Attachment: 115.9 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 117.77 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 116.21 KB
3.jpg

Attachment: 121.44 KB
4.jpg

Last edited by Karl Knisley on Sun 01 Nov, 2015 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Damn, that's really cool. it has just enough historical elements to look like something that is familiar but new at the same time.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seems like you're always experimenting with ideas and themes, DoubleK. That is nicely done, I've
always admired VC's work ... of course I'd like to see a little more curve in the blade, but as we know,
historically that's NOT a must; nor have I ever been a fan of wire-wrapped grips -- IF that's wire, kinda
looks like it. But that's just me. I suppose in a gloved fist the grip would feel just fine ...

Any particular reason you weren't interested in " more " curve, DoubleK ?
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like that pommel design. A restrained fantasy work, it doesn't go too far.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
I ever been a fan of wire-wrapped grips -- IF that's wire, kinda
looks like it. But that's just me. I suppose in a gloved fist the grip would feel just fine ...

Wire-wrapped grips are not rough on the hands. No gloves are necessary. They wouldn't make these things if they tore up hands.

Perhaps cheap, garbage-made swords that use huge gauge wire are rough and ridiculous, but they have about as much in common with historical swords as do a set of pliers or a wrench.

Most antique swords with wire-wrapped grips are made of fine wires, twisted and straight, often making for interesting patterns. They are smooth and comfortable and provide a fantastic gripping surface. I've seen such grips also treated with a sort of lacquer or some other type of material that stabilizes the whole grip in place and makes it even more cohesive and supple.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: wire grips         Reply with quote

First thing, congratulations on a fine fantasy design. Love the general lines and the pommel is spectacular, just looks well balanced. On the question of the wire wrap that Cervenka uses : I have similar wraps on two different swords, and they do not require gloves. They are smooth to the touch though the friction offered by the weave allows a firm grip. I don't know where
V.C. got the pattern from, but it works and is very pleasing to the eye.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that's sexy. Congratulations on the completion of a fine project.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Seems like you're always experimenting with ideas and themes, DoubleK. That is nicely done, I've
always admired VC's work ... of course I'd like to see a little more curve in the blade, but as we know,
historically that's NOT a must; nor have I ever been a fan of wire-wrapped grips -- IF that's wire, kinda

Any particular reason you weren't interested in " more " curve, DoubleK ?

Hello
He had that blade in stock,and I liked it, so, all`s well.
Justin H Nunez

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks wonderful. VC's work always inspires!
Are you plan on doing any cutting with it? I think a formal review might be in order...

Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a great looking piece Karl. The whole thing comes together very nicely and looks entirely plausible. I have to admit that I am a fan of fantasy blades that are totally within the realm of the possible like this. What is the finish on the blade? It almost looks like it is blued with only the edge being polished bare steel.
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Fantasy Sabre from Vladimír Cervenka         Reply with quote

Karl's sword looks excellent. Also I realized that its blade has a raised yelmen.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Carl W.

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
That is a great looking piece Karl. The whole thing comes together very nicely and looks entirely plausible. I have to admit that I am a fan of fantasy blades that are totally within the realm of the possible like this.

I second this comment, its Really nice. If you all hadn't said different I would have assumed it is a historical repro - and overall one of the nicest curved swords I can recall seeing. Congratulations!
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Sun 06 Dec, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I got my sword from V C a few weeks ago,although I haven`t had time to post,I`am very happy with it. He is able to make a
light but strong blade,very good spring,without being whippy. It has very good distal taper, and edge geometry .Which I realy appreciate. Too many makers just make sharpened clubs,with the edge as an after thought .His wire grips,to my mind, are as good as any in the business. His fittings,being hand made,are a tad rough in places,but nothing that detract from the character. Heres some more pics.The flex one,i got off the forum/net somewhere. Mine has the same flex,but I couldnt figure
a way to take a pic without loseing a body part.

Attachment: 67.75 KB
5.JPG

Attachment: 68.35 KB
6.JPG

Attachment: 66.58 KB
7.JPG

Attachment: 6.07 KB
images (7).jpg

Alex Indman

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may call it a "fantasy sabre", but I would say it can easily pass as an Italian XVI century Falchion / Storta. Those Renaissance pieces had all kinds of wild designs used for pommels/guards, this one wouldn't be out of place at all.
A great looking sword!

Alex.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl W. wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
That is a great looking piece Karl. The whole thing comes together very nicely and looks entirely plausible. I have to admit that I am a fan of fantasy blades that are totally within the realm of the possible like this.

I second this comment, its Really nice. If you all hadn't said different I would have assumed it is a historical repro - and overall one of the nicest curved swords I can recall seeing. Congratulations!

I'll " Third " that comment: Fantasy pieces that are well designed as plausible using pieces are the only ones I really like.

A completely wild and impractical design might still have appeal as a form of sculptural art that might be aesthetically pleasing, but not really consistent with being a usable object.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I ran across my original drawing I sent him ,of the blade he had, and the hilt I wanted.

Attachment: 91.47 KB
[ Download ]
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 29 Feb, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

REALLY like that grip treatment.......

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fantasy Saber from Vladimir Cervenka
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic