Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Sword Cast Blow compared to Spear Overarm Slide! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thrand Godfrey

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: The Sword Cast Blow compared to Spear Overarm Slide!         Reply with quote

I did a video comparing Roland Warzeca's Historical researched Cast blow with Viking age and Migration period sword designs to my concept of the Overarm throwing slide with one handed spear. The techniques are very similar in generating power from weapon acceleration and extreme power at that. If anyone has references to these techniques historically through ancient text depictions art work or even modern surviving combat forms that or historical based please post here.
Here is the Video of my test cutting and thrust comparing these too reconstructed techniques That I and Roland believe were commonly used historically.

Roland Warzecha's Cast Blow Sword Technique Similar to Thrand's Overarm Slide Spear Technique?
https://youtu.be/y8tmoTu_8AA

I am a arms and armour tester and experimental archeologist trying to rediscover ancient and medieval combat methods and tactics.
Thrand Godfrey

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has any one else tested these techniques or have references to their use historically?
I am a arms and armour tester and experimental archeologist trying to rediscover ancient and medieval combat methods and tactics.
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Thrand. Here's a link to an old thread that you might find interesting

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2478

Éirinn go Brách
Thrand Godfrey

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Hey Thrand. Here's a link to an old thread that you might find interesting

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2478

Thanks I will check it out now Big Grin

Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is not really new. There is pictorial evidence, some of which you showed yourself in your video.

It is, however, only part of the story. We know from later sources that you change your grip constantly when using a sword. This is equally true for one handed swords as for swords gripped with both hands.

Unfortunately we don't have any Fechtbücher for the early middle ages when these swords would have been in use.
So we really don't know how they used it, all we can make are educated guesses.

I think that this way of holding the sword and "throwing" a strike was done but it was only one of the many ways it was gripped and used, as in later periods.

But it is good to have at lease one, isn't it.

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
Thrand Godfrey

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Herbert Schmidt wrote:
This is not really new. There is pictorial evidence, some of which you showed yourself in your video.

It is, however, only part of the story. We know from later sources that you change your grip constantly when using a sword. This is equally true for one handed swords as for swords gripped with both hands.

Unfortunately we don't have any Fechtbücher for the early middle ages when these swords would have been in use.
So we really don't know how they used it, all we can make are educated guesses.

I think that this way of holding the sword and "throwing" a strike was done but it was only one of the many ways it was gripped and used, as in later periods.

But it is good to have at lease one, isn't it.

I my self use many different grips and proficient with all of them. This is not about one grip but how the sword was designed to be used and what was most common for the era and sword types. I believe all cuts and grips were know but only a few would be most commonly used with certain sword types and shield types, although all will work or can be applied. The Large center grip flat round denoted a certain type of use so the sword would have to comply with that fighting style. It changed as shields and styles changed to more of a sword fencing style. the early shields were the primary defense. I will do a video of other common grips that can be useful in transitional cuts with Viking and migration era swords and I believe were used as well.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Sword Cast Blow compared to Spear Overarm Slide!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic