Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: A&A 15th C. Two-hand Sword from the Higgins ArmorySOLD Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Millman

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: For Sale: A&A 15th C. Two-hand Sword from the Higgins Ar         Reply with quote

This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

Folks,

Here is a rare opportunity to own a souvenir of the sadly closed Higgins Armory Museum. This is an Arms & Armor #156 15th Century Two-handed Sword which was used in one of the Higgins' displays: it was mounted in a sliding fixture that allowed museum visitors to lift it and feel the weight of a sword. The installation was on the east wall of the sword gallery, in the museum's Great Hall. Some of you may have handled it.

This is a very large sword. From A&A's description:

Overall length: 59.25"
Blade length: 46.125"
Blade width: 2.375"
Weight: 6.06 pounds

My own measurements give:

overall length: 60.25"
blade length: 45.75" (the discrepancy may be due to the portion of the shoulders seated in the guard)
blade width: 2.375"
guard width: 9.50”
weight: 5.25 pounds on my kitchen scale, and 6.0 pounds on my bathroom scale
point of balance: 5.25” from the center of the cross-guard
pivot point: ~30.5” from the center of the cross-guard

The sword is peened, and there is no scabbard.

It is suitable for Italian spadone or Iberian montante techniques. Please note that the blade has a degree of flexibility consistent with other blades of this size. It will droop slightly (about 0.5”) if held horizontally, but remains rigid in the cut. Also, the sword, as is appropriate for one that was accessible to the public, is not sharpened. The blade's cross-sectional geometry is correct, but the edges (which are less than 0.5 mm thick, which is as closely as I am able to measure) have not been made sharp.

Finally, while the sword structurally is in as-new condition, the surface shows the patina that can be expected from having been touched by hundreds if not thousands of hands. While it has been professionally cleaned by the Higgins' conservation staff and there is no active rust, there is black staining on the blade and furniture, and some scratching of the grip leather.

I donated this sword to the Higgins many years ago, and it was returned to me in the museum's dissolution (and don't worry; I have other swords, used in displays, that have also been returned and will serve me as souvenirs). But it's not a type of sword for which I practice the techniques, and it's really too big for my apartment.

I'm offering it for $1,000 plus actual shipping (which, based on my experience and A&A's shipping quotation, is likely to be between $35 and $50 in the continental U.S., depending on location and including tracking and insurance). A&A's price for a new one is $1,250, and a check of their in-stock page shows that they don't have any on hand. So I'm offering a 20% discount compared to a new one, with no wait for production. I prefer payment via money order or personal check. I will accept PayPal, but the buyer will have to cover PayPal’s fees. And I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in trades for this.

Photos follow below. Please don't hesitate to contact me via private message if you should have any questions.

Best,

Mark Millman

Attachment: 80.78 KB
Sword-01a.jpg
side one

Attachment: 50.79 KB
Sword-03a.jpg

Attachment: 57.42 KB
Sword-04a.jpg

Attachment: 49.64 KB
Sword-05a.jpg

Attachment: 48.96 KB
Sword-06a.jpg

Mark Millman

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the photos of the sword's other side.

Attachment: 41.23 KB
Sword-09a.jpg
side two

Attachment: 56.48 KB
Sword-10a.jpg

Attachment: 54.54 KB
Sword-11a.jpg

Attachment: 52.23 KB
Sword-12a.jpg

Attachment: 54.55 KB
Sword-13a.jpg

Mark Millman

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here's the scratch on the grip leather that I mentioned.

Attachment: 43.52 KB
Sword-08a.jpg
scratch
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoops! It looks like I got confused and substituted a duplicate photo for what should be the picture of the point on the first side. Here it is.

Attachment: 34.84 KB
Sword-07a.jpg

Mark Millman

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,

Addressing one other error that I made in the original listing, I should make it clear that this sword was on long-term loan to the Higgins Armory. I misspoke when I described it as a "donation".

Mark Millman

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: A&A 15th C. Two-hand Sword from the Higgins ArmorySOLD
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic