Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fascinating swords from the Hermitage Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Fascinating swords from the Hermitage         Reply with quote

I found these over at bladeforums.com one of the guys there recently made a visit to the Hermitage in St. Petersburg and came back with these pictures.

Both of these swords appear to be rapiers with pistols built into them. Also note that one appears to have a flamberge type blade and also note the interesting enameled (at least that's what it looks like) cinquedas in the pictures. I thought the cinqueda was pretty much an exclusively Italian sword but...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's interesting... I wonder what the pistol might to to the balance of the blade?
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wondered the same thing. I wonder if these were actually usable or if they were more along the lines of curiousities like the ones with the watches in the pommel that Nathan posted earlier.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I wondered the same thing. I wonder if these were actually usable or if they were more along the lines of curiousities like the ones with the watches in the pommel that Nathan posted earlier.

Russ, I think that you're pretty much on the money with this statement. Although I have no doubt that the pistols work, still, they would be fairly awkward to use in a real fight. Might be handy on occasion but I would suspect that overall, it would cause more problems (i.e. clumsiness in the handling of the sword) than benefits. In general, from what I have seen, most of these "Combination Weapons" throughout history are pretty much complete failures. The socket bayonet is about the only time when combining two completely different weapons types actually worked, and it took a while to figure that one out!

I would venture to guess that this was more the sort of thing you wore to Court to show your friends, a "Gee Whiz, lookie this keen new gizmo I got! Ain't it COOL???" than a serious weapon. It would work, but so would the "Rambo Memorial Hack'em Slash'em Megadeath Bowie Knife Machete" kind of thing that floods the market now and again. That there are fairly numerous examples is probably more due to the salesmanship of the makers, and the fashion-consciousness of the buyers than any good sense or usefulness.

As the Irishman said: "Beautiful it is, but damned useless in a fight".

Hmmm, am I too blunt here?

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The other thought that occurs to me is what sort of fight would it be used in? On the battlefield? No, a rapier like this would not have been part of military dress (or so I've been lead to believe). In a duel? No, I suspect shooting your opponent in a sword duel would be considered rather bad form and get you executed for murder. Hunting? No, this is a rapier not a hunting hanger. On the street? Well maybe.... surprising a gang of street toughs by shooting one of their number when you draw your sword might be something... but as you say a pistol would be a heck of a lot more effective in that regard. Like you said I think what we have here is a period rambo death dagger...
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It doesn't surprise me at all to see a cinqueda-type weapon. Peter the Great (Czar 1682-1725) made a massive attempt to "europeanize" Russia during his rule. Aside from the technical and social advances it brought to Russia, it also resulted in an often slavish imitation of western fashions, and I imagine that applies to the weapons of the period as well.
Now it's be very interesting to see some native designs prior to that.

Brian M
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
also note the interesting enameled (at least that's what it looks like) cinquedas in the pictures.

Russ,

I was at the Hermitage last year and saw these weapons. The cinquedea hilts are actually pieces of lapis lazuli and carnelian set into a gilt frame, and are absolutely gorgeous in person. You can't see it in this picture but each stone is carved in relief too!

Last edited by Ruel A. Macaraeg on Thu 16 Dec, 2004 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow so rather then an impressive example of enamelling it's an impressive example of inlay. Not very tasteful by today's standards but impressive nonetheless. Gollnick has promised to post other pictures he took at the hermitage and if he does so I'll be sure to post them here as well.
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Not very tasteful by today's standards but impressive nonetheless.

Well I thought they were very tasteful, but then again I swim against the tide here in that I'm definitely on the "bling" side when it comes to my weapon preferences. Cool

Quote:
I thought the cinqueda was pretty much an exclusively Italian sword but...

These are Italian. They're displayed in the Hermitage's "Knight's Chamber" (Ritsarskii Zal), which contains arms and armor from Renaissance Italy and Germany (16thc.-ish).

Last edited by Ruel A. Macaraeg on Fri 17 Dec, 2004 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah I think someone else mentioned that they were Italian too probably brought in as part of Peter the Great's attempts to Europeanize Russia in all matters including fashion. Don't know if that's true or not (could be just don't know) but the consensus is definitely that these are Italian swords.

Not to worry Ruel if you are all about that sort of decoration you are probably being more historically accurate then most of us. Our ancestors would have doubtless been appalled at our simple tastes since ostentation seems to have been the very definition of what made good taste in the past.

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

Not to worry Ruel if you are all about that sort of decoration you are probably being more historically accurate then most of us. Our ancestors would have doubtless been appalled at our simple tastes since ostentation seems to have been the very definition of what made good taste in the past.

Just remember: "Poor Taste DOES cost more!" Big Grin

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I mentioned earlier that I wondered what the pistol did to the balance of the sword. Now I want to look at it from the other end. How did the sword affect the funtion of the pistol? Probably not for the better but I think before we write it off as a simple novelity we should consider the possibility that the sword was meant as a backup for the pistol. I assume it's a single shot with the pistol so having a blade, even a badly balanced one, might have been nice in a dangerous situation.

That said I actually do agree with you guys that this is probably a novelty. I would cite as evidence for this that such gun-swords are rare. I've heard of others but it never seemed to me that they would serve any funtion better than simply a seperate gun and sword would. I think that if the combination offered a great tactical advantage we'd find more swords with guns attached.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would assume that having the pistol barrel pointing at you would sort of put one off balance mentally as even a superior swordsman might hesitate as to what kind of attack to use. That slight hesitation might give an extra reaction time advantage to the one using the combination weapon: This might be enough to affect the outcome even if the handgun was not fired or unloaded! (As long as the opponent couldn't be sure if it was loaded or not.)

It might be possible to design one of these so that the balance of the sword would not be so bad as to become a liability if it was designed from the ground up and not just an add-on to a normally balanced sword.

I guess if would be more informative if an experienced sword handler at least got a chance to handle one.

Bottom line I agree that it must have had a "COOLNESS" gimmick appeal.

An Axe/Wheelock or Spear/Wheelock might be more usable at least as a special weapon for a bodyguard.

If we advance to the 18th century a Flintlock/Boxlock small sword combination might be practical as the lock might be more reliable, less fragile and could be small and compact, also a short barrel/reasonnably large caliber could be made without excessive weight or bulk.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fascinating swords from the Hermitage
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic