Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Scarce American Rev War sword w/ wood scabbardRemoved Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Mercier

Reading list: 6 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 07 Oct, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: For Sale: Scarce American Rev War sword w/ wood scabbard         Reply with quote

This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

This is a American revolutionary war sword cataloged in Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution #377S on page 187. Mine is a little different than the one pictured in the book because that one is listed as a cutlass while mine is longer by 7 inches or so and completely straight.

Neumann describes his as:
Quote:
377.S American Cutlass
Circa 1750-1780
This example is a departure from the normal cutlass, but a second one has been found with the same hilt and double-edged blade- including its slight bend below the tip. The upper end of its knuckle bow passes through the wooden grip under the semidomed pommel, and is visable on the other side. Opposite the blade the rectangular slots have been cut to create a psudo side branch. Note the round qullion and 3/4" base ferrule. Its slightly curved double-edged blade holds a medium ridge on both faces.

This one has a straight double edged blade with a diamond cross section and measures 30 1/8" in length for a total length of 36 3/4". It does not have the "slight bend" Neumann describes. There is some patina discoloration throughout but no damage or corrosion or pitting. It weighs about 1lb 15.5oz It has its original wood handle that is solid and free of any damage and the most amazing part is the original wood scabbard remains as well. The scabbard is quite simple with two sandwiched pieces of wood with the drag, throat and two suspension rings holding it together. I have only ever seen one in person (at the Museum of History in Raleigh, NC)

I previously consulted James D. Julia Auctions about a possible consignment and told me "At this time, even with our questions, we would probably estimate this in the $3500-5500 range and it might possibly be much more"

I am asking $2500

Although I will ship overseas, I will need to quote the exact cost for insurance purposes and I cannot imagine how high the potential customs fees will be so in the US would be preferred.

Mike

Attachment: 82.19 KB
rev1.jpg

Attachment: 103.24 KB
rev2.jpg

Attachment: 117.76 KB
rev3.jpg

Attachment: 86.69 KB
rev4.jpg

Attachment: 64.24 KB
rev5.jpg

Michael Mercier

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about a drop to $2000 shipped in the US.
Michael Mercier

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If anyone has interest in this sword PM me and we can discuss. I am more than willing to work with a future buyer with payment plan, etc.

Mike

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Scarce American Rev War sword w/ wood scabbardRemoved
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic