Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Want to change my pommel on my Albion Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nicholas Shkreli

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Want to change my pommel on my Albion Sword         Reply with quote

This is my first sword i bought and was wondering where I would go to change the pommel. I want a wheel pommel and not the current pommel i have.
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While you can change the pommel, it'd be nice if you gave us a little more information like what Albion it is (There's a lot of them) why you think it needs a different pommel, what are you using this sword for, so on and so forth. Changing the pommel will effect how the sword handles so you should be aware of that. Oh, and I picture is worth a thousand words.
Winter is coming
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the best places to have this done is at Yeshuas sword -

Christian Fletcher is another.

As Mike says, changing the pommel is a delicate operation. The wrong replacement pommel will throw off the sword's balance. It should be done by someone who really knows what they are doing.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second Roger. Working with Ernie at Yeshua's sword has been a positive experience so far.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Robert B. Marks

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
One of the best places to have this done is at Yeshuas sword -

Christian Fletcher is another.

As Mike says, changing the pommel is a delicate operation. The wrong replacement pommel will throw off the sword's balance. It should be done by someone who really knows what they are doing.

And I'll second Christian Fletcher.

Robert Marks
Darksword Armory, Inc.
www.darksword-armory.com
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

changing out pummels like stated above is a little bit on the tricky side, changing a pummel a few ounces can really throw off the swords harmony. maybe ascetically your choice will look better, but a change in the weight of the pummel not only changes that POB in the sword, but also its harmonic balance. adding or subtracting weight will cause the nodes of vibration to travel up or down the blade, and its counter node, which should be at your hand, the same which may cause the sword to wiggle pretty violently in your hand if your practicing with this sword.

as long as the pommel's weight remains about the same as the one your swapping out then you probably won't notice a change at all.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Wallace wrote:

as long as the pommel's weight remains about the same as the one your swapping out then you probably won't notice a change at all.

I don't think you can stop at weight. Even if the weight is the same, handling could change if the weight is distributed differently on the new pommel. If you took a scent stopper pommel, whose weight is on the end farthest from the grip and flipped it around (so the weight is right by your hand), that would likely change things a bit, even though the weight is exactly the same.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It can be done. Albions longer XVa's the Fiore, Talhoffer, Ringneck, and Agincourt all have different pommels on the same blade, two scent stopper, and two disks. The Ringneck and Fiore even have the same cross, so other than the pommels they are the same sword. They my handle a little differently but does one or the other suffer from having a different pommel?
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Which Albion is it? If it's one that shares a common blade with several others in the line, it might be more cost effective to sell it and buy one with a pommel of the desired shape.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 07 Sep, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
It can be done. Albions longer XVa's the Fiore, Talhoffer, Ringneck, and Agincourt all have different pommels on the same blade, two scent stopper, and two disks. The Ringneck and Fiore even have the same cross, so other than the pommels they are the same sword. They my handle a little differently but does one or the other suffer from having a different pommel?

The pommels were designed to work properly with the existing blade and new guards (where applicable). Their shapes, sizes, and weights were chosen carefully based on Peter's experience. Sure, you can swap pommels and make a sword just as good (but perhaps different) or even better, but it needs to be done carefully and weight isn't the only consideration.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is true. I think that in those examples the scent stoppers weigh in a few ounces less than the disks to account for the weight being further from the center of rotation.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Want to change my pommel on my Albion Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic