myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Militaryheritage.com swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cold Steel swords are made either in India or China, depending on the model. Knowing how Indian businesses are structured, I strongly suspect these swords are made in the same facilities, whether they're sold under the banners of Universal Swords, Military Heritage, etc. As an example, Indian mail is only made in one place, no matter what moniker it's sold under. Nothing wrong with any of that really, but it does make it confusing for a potential buyer.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm. Well from my experience and what I have gathered from various forums, Universalswords's swords often look the part but handle rather poorly. Usually as the result of very very little or non existent distal taper.
P. Frank

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few month ago I had the pleasure of handling and measuring an original Prussian M1811. It was one of the early models, so basically just an imported P1796 LC. It was certainly a "working"-sword, but still very nice to handle. I could dig up the photos and stats if people are interested.
I was impressed with the craftsmanship that went into the distal taper and I must admit that would actually be surprised to see it reproduced in a factory piece at the price-point of CS, MH or US.

I haven't yet had the change to inspect one of the CS sabres in person, something I hope will change soon-ish, but looking at the photos in this post on SGB (http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/thread/185...ber-review) it seems to have a decent amount of taper. At least that is the impression one could get looking at this photo in particular: http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/Brian_Page/Saber2.jpg
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Frank wrote:

I haven't yet had the change to inspect one of the CS sabres in person,

I have, it's the same sword you'll buy from any of the other vendors that have been mentioned.

There really aren't any high quality replications of military sabers on the production market, at least not regarding the finer points of blade geometry. All of the swords being discussed are made in the same factories, by the same workers, but are sold under different banners. Just pick the one that offers the best price.

Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
P. Frank wrote:

I haven't yet had the change to inspect one of the CS sabres in person,

I have, it's the same sword you'll buy from any of the other vendors that have been mentioned.

There really aren't any high quality replications of military sabers on the production market, at least not regarding the finer points of blade geometry. All of the swords being discussed are made in the same factories, by the same workers, but are sold under different banners. Just pick the one that offers the best price.

Patrick,

One thing I've noticed is that the CS light cavalry sabers used to be secured by a nut, something which seems to have changed recently. The Military Heritage swords have always been peened as far as I know. So, that makes me wonder if the Cold Steel swords are, or have always been, made by the same outfit.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Patrick,

One thing I've noticed is that the CS light cavalry sabers used to be secured by a nut, something which seems to have changed recently. The Military Heritage swords have always been peened as far as I know. So, that makes me wonder if the Cold Steel swords are, or have always been, made by the same outfit.

Here's my last comment on the subject and I'll bow out and let the rest of you continue on.

In the past I've had phone conversations with representatives from Cold Steel, Military Heritage, etc. They've confirmed the statements I've made in this thread. That's not internet speculation. It's not unbelievable, underhanded, nor is there any conspiracy going on. It's just business on their part. There isn't a huge demand for these kinds of swords in comparison to other replicas, as such it's just better economics to let the Indians produce them for everyone. As hard as it is for some to believe, the product isn't better because Cold Steel is selling it, often it's the opposite.

Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Ian Hutchison wrote:
Patrick,

Here's my last comment on the subject and I'll bow out and let the rest of you continue on.

In the past I've had phone conversations with representatives from Cold Steel, Military Heritage, etc. They've confirmed the statements I've made in this thread. That's not internet speculation. It's not unbelievable, underhanded, nor is there any conspiracy going on. It's just business on their part. There isn't a huge demand for these kinds of swords in comparison to other replicas, as such it's just better economics to let the Indians produce them for everyone. As hard as it is for some to believe, the product isn't better because Cold Steel is selling it, often it's the opposite.

Of course, it makes sense and I recall hearing the same in the past. I was simply trying to account for the differences in assembly that used to be seen (but aren't anymore it seems).

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Christopher B Lellis

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The perception seems to be that these swords aren't crap but could be better.

I might actually have one of these universal blades, I have a cold steel shamshir. I don't particularly like it so much, the steel seems to be good quality but the blade feels too thick and weighty as if you could shave a couple ounces off of it in the right places and it would be a replica more true to the historical ones.

Not very impressed with the hilt either, I have a feeling this has a threaded connection inside Worried
P. Frank

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 27 Aug, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if you go for it do let us know how you like it.
I myself am pondering getting the CS P1796LC.
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher B Lellis wrote:
I found this video, here are Universal swords being made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqU8ThjzIZA

URL does not work.

hehe, these videos are great.
actually i think, their production methods resemble the way the original swords were produced 200 years ago. (no pun intended)
there clearly is a high grade of organisation, but many steps are manually done by individuals who specialize in their part.
it must have been the same in a workshop at wilkinson, solingen, klingenthal in an that era, pre- or early-industrialized, at least pre-henry-fordian.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Militaryheritage.com swords
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: