Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: Sword of Jorah Mormont (Game of Thrones) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Crusader Monk: Sword of Jorah Mormont (Game of Thrones)         Reply with quote

This was a little project I worked on for a forum friend of mine. He wanted a Game of Throne's themed scabbard based on what is carried by the Jorah Mormont characeter. Using the prop for inspiration, here is what I came up with.

Though the character in the TV series carries a hand-and-a-half blade, we opted to use an ATrim Maker's Mark single-hander for the project. The shorter length of the ATrim makes it easier to wear and carry at crowded events and conventions, while still looking good while worn with GoT-inspired armor.

After creating the scabbard, I affixed real peacock feathers to the scabbard's cover using several coats of semi-gloss polyurathane. An initial coating make the scabbard tacky enough to affix and shape the feathers. Additional coatings permanantly secured the feathers to the cover, while allowing the natural texture of the feathers to remain apparent.

The suspension on this scabbard is a combination of integrated, tied, and riveted to present a nice low-fantasy look, as seen in many of the GoT movie props. The belt has been given decorative embossing for added aesthetics.

The hilt of the ATrim was antiqued to a nice dark finish which has mild inconsistancy to look more in tune with a worn, but cared for look. The ATrim grip is an antique tan in color.

The mild steel chape is antiqued to match the rest of the package.

The cover was executed in dark brown, with the suspension being primarily black with antique tan laced elements and decorative floret rivets.

This sword is now ready for some real adventures and clothed to match! Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
After creating the scabbard, I affixed real peacock feathers to the scabbard's cover using
several coats of semi-gloss polyurathane. An initial coating make the scabbard tacky enough to
affix and shape the feathers. Additional coatings permanantly secured the feathers to the cover,
while allowing the natural texture of the feathers to remain apparent

You know, that's cool and imaginative.

Once everything dried, did using polyurathane -- even if only in the area of the scabbard where
the peacock feathers are affixed -- change the texture of the leather ?
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Quote:
After creating the scabbard, I affixed real peacock feathers to the scabbard's cover using
several coats of semi-gloss polyurathane. An initial coating make the scabbard tacky enough to
affix and shape the feathers. Additional coatings permanantly secured the feathers to the cover,
while allowing the natural texture of the feathers to remain apparent

You know, that's cool and imaginative.

Once everything dried, did using polyurathane -- even if only in the area of the scabbard where
the peacock feathers are affixed -- change the texture of the leather ?

Not really, the texture remains pretty much the same. The finish looks nearly identical to using several coats of acrylic leather gloss, but it's vastly more durable and water-resistant. It's also more flexible than the acrylic finishes. It just takes longer to dry. A lot longer.....like 2 days longer. Laughing Out Loud

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very creative, I like it. Will the feathers stand up to use?
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Very creative, I like it. Will the feathers stand up to use?

Definitely. On my test example of how this would work, I used the same method to attach a feather to leather over wood on a small scale. I threw in in my Shoppe floor and stomped all over it for a week. It was dirty, but cleaned right up with the feather still 100% intact and in place. I doubt this scabbard will ever see that kind of wear, but it will withstand considerable abuse.

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This beauty is mine... and from the pics it looks like Sarge hit it out of the park for me. Cool I'll be getting it tomorrow... and I have a feeling it may be my new favorite ren faire sword now. Razz
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent work on a really different looking scabbard and congratulations Sean.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: Sword of Jorah Mormont (Game of Thrones)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic