|Posted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 7:49 am Post subject: For Sale: Customized sallet
Here's my heavily modified GDFB visored sallet for sale or trade. If you're at all familiar with the GDFB sallet, you know that they tend to be too large and too heavy. In form, it's Italian export of ca. 1450. In size, it seems more like the large German sallets of a few decades later. With that in mind, here's what I did to this piece:
• Removed the original liner and straps
• Removed the visor pivots
• Reshaped visor to reflect a German/Austrian influence of ca. 1480
• Drilled the bowl for lining rivets and straps
• Made and installed a lining band
• Hand-stitched a linen liner
• Created new straps and mounted the original buckle with a proper buckle plate
• Created and installed a spring lock mechanism
• Created and installed new floral visor pivots in the German style (tension adjusted via internal nut)
• Gave the entire piece a satin finish
You can see the final results here. The visor tension is adjusted to keep the visor up, which requires you press the visor back to engage the spring pin when you want to lock down the visor.
This makes a fantastic display but it's also wearable. Still big, but not quite as heavy as it was. It's now at the top of the historical range, as far as I can tell. The last shot below, taken just before I finished the piece, shows the scale.
This is $265 shipped CONUS. PayPal only.
I will consider a few kinds of trade. If you have a good quality breast--either one or two piece--I would consider that. I'd really like to have a good quality steel cap or burgonet of the type the Landsknechts and other light infantry wore ca. 1480-1525. I plan to get an unfinished cap and finish it myself, but I'll consider good helmets for the period 1480-1550. If you have a Best Armour helmet or equivalent, I might be interested. If I want something that's more than I'm asking, I'd be able to put in a bit of cash.
Ask questions below and I'll answer ASAP.
Attachment: 160.9 KB
Attachment: 206.65 KB
Attachment: 159.82 KB
Attachment: 162.84 KB
Attachment: 199.37 KB
Attachment: 200.65 KB
Attachment: 212.48 KB
Attachment: 154.79 KB
Author of the Little Hammer novel