Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Three Musketeers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: The Three Musketeers         Reply with quote

Hello
I saw the new,Three Musketeers,movie today.I realy liked it. It was "allmost" as good as the, Richard Lester,version.But in a different way.I kinda like steam punk stuff.I`d like to see more like it. Any thoughts?
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good to hear someone liked it. Haven't seen it yet myself but it got horrible reviews from what I saw.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't seen it, but considering that some critics have noted that it's even poor by the standards of director Paul W.S. Anderson's other films, and that the plot is supposed to be riddled with holes and incoherencies, I'm not too optimistic about it.
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Going to see it this weekend. It has been in the theatres for barely a week here and already one of them stopped showing it. Not a good indication of quality...
G K Vaughn

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It wasn't a great movie, but there was a lot for sword fans to enjoy - the fight choreography is well-done (if not particularly realistic): there's none of that "close-up & fast cuts" nonsense that makes it impossible to tell what's going on that a lot of action movies go for these days. Plus Porthos carries a rather nice schiavona.

The script is rather dire, though. It's pretty clear that all the filmmakers cared about was excuses for fight scenes, eye-candy and putting Milla Jovovich in tight-fitting outfits.

"The rifle is no more than the grip of the bayonet."

--Giuseppe Garibaldi
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah... like the preview where a woman spins in the air with the rapier held backwards and presumably cuts with it that way (after the clip stopped). WTF?! WTF?!
Moses Jones

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was a lot of fun, It was not a great movie nor was it a work of art, but my son and I had a really good time watching it.
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
Whats wrong with, Milla Jovovich,in tight outfits???:-) Dont go see a movie,based on what reviews you read.The critics hated ,"The 13th Warrior",and that was one of my favorite movies ever.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Coming out of the theatre and thinking about the film later I was surprised how much some of the main characters where just " non-entities " and didn't impress me much ( Can't help replaying in my mind the Shania Twain song ).

Or rather the fact that some of the main characters left me cold but others where interesting as they " chewed the scenery ".

D' Artagnan who is usually in 3 musketeers films the main character has no presence in the story i.e. as if Indiana Jones was uninteresting in an Indiana Jones movie ? Very odd.

Constance is usually an important character but here she just banters a bit with D'Artagan and there are really no sparks.

Mila Jovovich is wicked fun as lady the Winter.

Christophe Waltz is menacing as Cardinal Richelieu.

I could go through all the rest of the cast but lets just say that Louis the XIII is a foppish hoot, the 3 musketeers are also mildly amusing etc .....

Now, all of the above should normally mean that I really didn't like the film, but strangely enough it was good mindless fun with the almost steam punk anachronistic technology.

The visuals are superb eye candy, the costuming is both at times period accurate(ish) and at times leathers that would work better in a biker bar or a fetish club than in the early 17th century. ( One could almost expect to see zippers and wrist watches. Eek! Razz Laughing Out Loud ).

Some of the armour also looks consistent with the period generally, excepting some of the main characters more impossible for the period gear !

Lots of very nice looking wheelock pistols. Big Grin Cool

The story has very big plot changes i.e. Happy endings not consistent with the classic story.

Oh, if one abandons all hope of it being historical and views it as happening in a Parallel Universe it actually can be a fun movie.

Bottom line I had fun watching it, it's only later while thinking about it that all the contradictions between the main character being bland and the secondary characters being interesting sort of struck me. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I plan on seeing it. I heard to wasn't great but fun enough to watch if you're not going in there with too high expectations.

G K Vaughn wrote:

The script is rather dire, though. It's pretty clear that all the filmmakers cared about was excuses for fight scenes, eye-candy and putting Milla Jovovich in tight-fitting outfits.

Well, yeah, but I could sorta tell it was that kind of movie just by watching the trailer.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the new Three Musketeers, i'm waiting for it on netflix. i liked the sword play in the older movie versions more than what i even saw in the trailers. but if it's got damsels and cool swords i'll probably like it. i'm not going to knock directors for not keeping to making it more period accurate their looking to make something fun and enjoyable for everyone.

and yes i must second the 13th warrior, i know it was just another dirty dozen style movie but it's by far one of my favorites i especially like the idea of how the arab was shown to have learned the northmen's language through those transitional scenes.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Wallace wrote:
the new Three Musketeers, i'm waiting for it on netflix. i liked the sword play in the older movie versions more than what i even saw in the trailers. but if it's got damsels and cool swords i'll probably like it. i'm not going to knock directors for not keeping to making it more period accurate their looking to make something fun and enjoyable for everyone.

and yes i must second the 13th warrior, i know it was just another dirty dozen style movie but it's by far one of my favorites i especially like the idea of how the arab was shown to have learned the northmen's language through those transitional scenes.

I do not hear good things about the Three Musketeers. I think I will wait until it is on TV.

Any way, I will echo the comments about the 13th Warrior. I read the book way back in 1978 and found it well-done and very interesting. The movie, while the authenticity of the armor and weaponry - wait there was NO authenticity there - , was exciting and entertaining. Daniel, if you haven't read the book do so. However you will find that Ahmad Ibn Fadlan never learned any Norse in the book, relying on one of the Vikings to translate for him the whole time. The plot device in the movie was a clever way to avoid the need for a translator.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"...the historical Musketeers, not the version sailing around on airships in the new film, which, as far as I can tell from the previews, seems to have more in common with the candy bar than the Dumas novel..."
-Ben Thompson, at http://www.badassoftheweek.com/lollonais.html

Me thinks it funny...

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Peter Busch

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Three Musketeers         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello
I saw the new,Three Musketeers,movie today.I realy liked it. It was "allmost" as good as the, Richard Lester,version.But in a different way.I kinda like steam punk stuff.I`d like to see more like it. Any thoughts?

Yes I was wondering when someone would mention the film .. I saw the shorts and I was appalled Worried .. (having always favoured the Lester version).

I thought; gee I'm glad I won't have to see that one ... here we have a film made for generation Y .... Sad

Then my wife says 'guess what film we're having for our fundraiser?' Worried

Oh dear .. now I know what I'm watching on Monday night ..... Wink

http://www.swordforum.com/fall99/1865.html
http://www.oakeshott.org/1831art.html
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why 'Steampunk-ify' a classic like the Three Musketeers? Another example of Hollywood tiredly pandering to the lowest common denominator. It doesn't cost any more to 'do it right', it just doesn't sell as many tickets, popcorn and soft drinks.

I dislike this in the same way I prefer The Unforgiven over Wild Wild West. A historical epic, done well, is escape enough for me without adding a load of bad acting, CGI fakery, ludicrous plotlines and hilariously pitiful costumery.

One to miss,

Julian
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They shoulda' just called ir " Resident Evil VII " ... or whatever, and have done with it ...
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm just waiting for the inevitable:

Introducing the “Sword of the Musketeers”TM – this exclusive licensed product is hand assembled by our master craftsmen in China, and comes with an authentically styled steel-effect hilt and stainless steel battle-ready blade, and comes with a certificate of authenticity and a signed still from the movie showing one of the stars with a similar looking sword.

Ugh.

Julian
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Coming out of the theatre and thinking about the film later I was surprised how much some of the main characters where just " non-entities " and didn't impress me much ( Can't help replaying in my mind the Shania Twain song ).

Just came from seeing this movie and I must agree with this statement. They really failed to sell the characters.

I liked the movie as an action flick, but I would have liked to see more adventure and better characters. Also, better period accuracy would not have hurt, but I don't really have high expectations in that regard from any movie.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Three Musketeers         Reply with quote

Peter Busch wrote:

Yes I was wondering when someone would mention the film .. I saw the shorts and I was appalled Worried .. (having always favoured the Lester version).

Never really liked the Lester version that much, but that is because to me the 1948 version with Gene Kelly is the Gold standard I use when judging a real 3 Musketeer movie.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5c4_1316642708

The current one is only fun if one forgets about real history and forgets about the original story.

There is one problem with Classics when they are made into films: One already knows the story, the plot turns and who ends up dead at the end of the story, the good thing, and the ONLY good thing about a movie that doesn't respect the original material is that one can now be surprised by things turning out differently. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Actually if the film was re-titled " The Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Musketeer in An Alternate Universe with a Different Ending ", the movie was somewhat entertaining even if the characters where badly developed to the point we don't care a bit what happens to them.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, the problem with that is that a lot of young people these days don't know the plot. Hell, I don't, and I know a lot more about this sort of thing than the average person (though I know enough not to trust Hollywood and can spot the obvious modern bastardizations).

So even if someone utterly butchers the plot there will be plenty of people walking away thinking they were more or less faithful to the original, even to the point of trying to correct someone who offers the real story.

That's the real scary thing here...

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Three Musketeers
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: