Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pictures from Schloss Ambrass and Hohenwerfen in Austria Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Pictures from Schloss Ambrass and Hohenwerfen in Austria         Reply with quote

Hi all,
Our summer vacation this year was in Bavaria and the Tirol. Here are some pictures from the castles we visited.

Hohenwerfen:
https://picasaweb.google.com/106965559957094632841/July2011BigBavarianBlowout10_HohenwerfenCastle?authkey=Gv1sRgCI3878Chiur_xQE

Schloss Ambrass:
https://picasaweb.google.com/106965559957094632841/July2011BigBavarianBlowout7_Schloss_Ambrass?authkey=Gv1sRgCMnpwc2KnY2a1wE

“Men prefer to fight with swords, so they can see each other's eyes!" Sean Connery as Mulay Hamid El Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

nice.
i know ambras quite well, having jobbed there as museum-guard during my studies at the innsbruck university.
its quite interesting, typical rennaisance-castle (more like chateau than a fortress), nice armour collection. but as i recall visitors were mostly disappointed by the 3 floors of the main-keep, filled with habsburg-ancestry-portraits from top to bottom.
i mean, there are some quite exquisite portraits, by cranach, by velasquez.... but after seeing 100s of them you are quite bored, imho a 4th of them would be enough.

hohenwerfen also looks nice, more medieval than ambras, maybe i`ll have visit.
but i was quite surprised seeing the red-white-red window shutters on a bavarian castle, i`ve always thought, thats a typical feature of austrian castles.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pictures from Schloss Ambrass and Hohenwerfen in Austria
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic