Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Longsword vs sword and buckler video Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carlo Arellano

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Longsword vs sword and buckler video         Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNHpmNCa6mc

Dreagan and I at our last fight in the park. I haven't been able to train because of a torn ACL from MMA but here I am a year later after surgery.
Carlo Arellano

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword in the foreground is a Tinker longsword training blade that Dustin R. Reagan customized. I will post pics soon.
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Longsword vs sword and buckler video         Reply with quote

Carlo

Very very nice! I like the fast aggressive work, especially the winding and the use of the Ochs guard. I'm not sure if Dustin realizes it but he makes very good use of the Scales footwork. At 1:07 and 1.31 Dustin is in the classic Scales postion with his rear foot turned well beyond 90 degrees, giving him an extremely well balanced position. I strongly suggest looking closely at Dustin's footwork and then reading the article "Volta, Key, and Scale" (http://www.thearma.org/VoltaKeyandScale.htm).

The only negative I see is that the Low Vom Tag is not serving you well. Note the blows Dustin throws from Vom Tag at his left shoulder when using the sword & buckler vs the blows delievered with longsword from Low Vom Tag.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Job Overbeek

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Game of Thrones Rock version Big Grin
Though I would like for the camera guy to just stand still and don't keep zooming in and out...
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow, this looks really good, so speedy, dynamic...
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Longsword vs sword and buckler video         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:

The only negative I see is that the Low Vom Tag is not serving you well.

Thanks for the comments Randall. From watching the videos, I noticed that I am occasionally holding a "lazy" vom tag (not sure if you were telling that to me or to Carlo, but I think I'm guilty of it too, if you were talking to Carlo).

I agree that it can be a vulnerability, because one of my favorite targets (not shown in the video) is Carlo's lead hand/wrist. He's gotten better at protecting it, but I can usually get at least 2 solid hits on that target, per session. I think it does have something to do with holding a "lazy" vom tag.

Thanks,
Dustin
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Longsword vs sword and buckler video         Reply with quote

Dustin R. Reagan wrote:
Thanks for the comments Randall. From watching the videos, I noticed that I am occasionally holding a "lazy" vom tag (not sure if you were telling that to me or to Carlo, but I think I'm guilty of it too, if you were talking to Carlo).

Dustin

I was referring to Carlo. At 0:43 you are in Left Shoulder Vom Tag with sword & buckler. At 0:53 you are in the same position with the longsword while Carlo is in the Lower Vom Tag. From the position you are in at 0:53 you can easily cut all of the master cuts with speed and power. Carlo on the other hand would have first raise his hilt up in order to cut the master cuts, losing speed and power. To see the difference between the two versions of Vom Tag consider the following question: What usually happens in a boxing match when a boxer gets really tired and lowers his hands?

Again, I really like the fighting.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Carlo Arellano

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Longsword vs sword and buckler video         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
Dustin R. Reagan wrote:

Dustin

I was referring to Carlo. At 0:43 you are in Left Shoulder Vom Tag with sword & buckler. At 0:53 you are in the same position with the longsword while Carlo is in the Lower Vom Tag. From the position you are in at 0:53 you can easily cut all of the master cuts with speed and power. Carlo on the other hand would have first raise his hilt up in order to cut the master cuts, losing speed and power. To see the difference between the two versions of Vom Tag consider the following question: What usually happens in a boxing match when a boxer gets really tired and lowers his hands?

Again, I really like the fighting.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

Thanks for the crit I'll work on that. Your suggestions have always been really helpful.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Longsword vs sword and buckler video
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic