Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Really OT : Battle of Midway reunion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Really OT : Battle of Midway reunion         Reply with quote

Hello:

This is the "Off Topic" section so here's something really off topic I just had to share with the myArmoury folks. In about a week I get to fly to Washington D.C. to attend a reunion of the U.S.A.A.F.'s 5th Bomber Group. This includes a bomber squadron - the 31st BS - my grandfather flew in as a B-17 pilot in the Pacific theater during W.W. II.

My grandfather survived the Pearl Harbor attack and later flew in the Battle of Midway from the island itself. He is mentioned in several books about Midway. He later helped defend Australia from places like "Iron Range" and Townsville. His name was Capt. Cecil Faulkner and he flew with some pilots who helped establish Strategic Air Command after the war.

I never knew him. Ironically, he was killed stateside towards the end of the war in a flying accident from Miami to Cuba during a navigation training flight. I guess someone missed a checkpoint because they flew into a mountain. However, a man who was his crewchief before and during the Midway period will attend this reunion too.

A visit to some of the Smithsonian museums are part of our itinerary. I don't suppose any medieval stuff is contained in any of the Smithsonian museums, but it's not everday one gets to meet veterans who experienced events most of us only read about in books.

We can't meet any medieval veterans, but I am happy to meet at least this one gentleman who actually flew with my grandfather after years of getting nowhere with the Air Force historical people despite being a blood relative. My grandfather received the Air Medal, the Distiguished Flying Cross, and a Silver Star. Perhaps I will learn why at this reunion. I wish I had known this heritage when I was in high school and trying to decide what to do with my life. I would have joined the Air Force too.

Putting politics aside for a moment, if you know a veteran of a war, I encourage you to become acquainted with them, and learn of their experiences (if they are willing to talk) before they die. It seems to make them feel appreciated at the very least. We will be the ones to pass along their history ... much like we at myArmoury.com work to preserve the knowledge of the "fechtmeisters" of medieval times.

I just had to share this. Now ... go kill some watermelons with your swords!

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Really OT : Battle of Midway reunion         Reply with quote

Dustin Faulkner wrote:

if you know a veteran of a war, I encourage you to become acquainted with them, and learn of their experiences (if they are willing to talk) before they die. It seems to make them feel appreciated at the very least. We will be the ones to pass along their history ... much like we at myArmoury.com work to preserve the knowledge of the "fechtmeisters" of medieval times.

I had two grand-uncles and one grandfather serving in the wehrmacht, but they did not often talk about their experiencies.
my grandfather was somewhere on the eastern frontier or the balkans, but he luckily never had enemy contact, and did not talk about the rest.

the grand-uncles were more communicative,
one always told a story, which seems to have concussed him, where a guy next to him accidentally burned and killed himself while experimenting with a panzerschreck-rocketlauncher.
the other also mostly told me his same story. when he was patrolling in a wood at night, he wanted to take a rest, and watched out for a proper seat. he saw an adequate shape in the darkness and took place, but jumped up with horror, when he suddenly realised it was a corpse he was sitting on.
Philip C. Ryan

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Grandaddy drove a halftrack in the Army, fought for the Allies on the German front in WWII. He was at the Battle of the Bulge (Ardennes Offensive) in 1944-45. I have several pictures of him and Germany that he brought back, as well as a German swasticka flag he pulled off a building in some city they took (still has char marks/ dirt on it). i don't know any stories as he died in 1985 when I was only 11 years old. However, I do have many fond memories of the only "father figure" in my life, and have even named my son after him.

I envy you, Dustin, that you get to meet someone who actually knew your grandfather. Enjoy your trip and give them all a "Thank You" from me!

Skjaldborg Viking Age Living History and Martial Combat
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip C. Ryan wrote:
My Grandaddy drove a halftrack in the Army, fought for the Allies on the German front in WWII. He was at the Battle of the Bulge (Ardennes Offensive) in 1944-45. I have several pictures of him and Germany that he brought back, as well as a German swasticka flag he pulled off a building in some city they took (still has char marks/ dirt on it). i don't know any stories as he died in 1985 when I was only 11 years old. However, I do have many fond memories of the only "father figure" in my life, and have even named my son after him.

I envy you, Dustin, that you get to meet someone who actually knew your grandfather. Enjoy your trip and give them all a "Thank You" from me!

Small world... my dad was a tank crewman in the 3rd Army. He was part of Patton's relief of Bastogne during "the Bulge".

He also brought back a German battle flag, swastika and all... and some other things, including a sword (an unmarked WKC Solingen dress saber, of a pattern that they still make)! The sword is hanging on my wall. The flag... isn't.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Really OT : Battle of Midway reunion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic