Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early 16th Century Arquebus Info Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kayla G

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Early 16th Century Arquebus Info         Reply with quote

I'm looking for more examples like this one from the Hermitage Museum. I want to recreate a German arquebus with a button release similar to this one.

Here's an image I found. The second down looks very similar to the example I found. Does anyone have any idea what book this is from or knows what the caption says in English?

Some rough info I've been able to estimate from the images:
Overall lengths for these are around 31 in/78.2cm
There is about 11 in/28.2cm of stock behind the barrel
The stocks drop about 6.25cm/2.5 inches
Barrel length is around 20 inches/50.8cm
The one at the Hermitage is about .44 caliber

I found a book which has a picture of how the side button mechanism works: Howard L Blackmore, Guns and Rifles of the World, Chancellor press, 1965.

Unfortunately I don't have the book at the moment, but the description I found online seems to match:
Snapping Matchlock, 16th century, German, in the Bern Historical Museum. Interior mainspring A works on tumbler. A spring, B lying inside the lock has stud C in the middle which protrudes through the lockplate and acts as a sear by holding down the tail of the match holder in the cocked position. This is released by pressure on the button trigger D which is fastened through the lock plate to the end of the sear spring.
I will post pictures of the lock from the book when it arrives.

I really doubt I can find anything more detailed online, but that's what I have so far in case anyone is interested in arms of this particular time period Happy
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jun, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Kayla,

The text for the second firearm says "Rifle with snap lock from 1510, Switzerland".

I don't know if this helps, but the following diagram comments a little more on the various forms of arquebus that existed. It comes from this website which no longer exists (save in archived form): https://www.oocities.org/yosemite/campground/8551/firearms.html

Attachment: 482.77 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early 16th Century Arquebus Info
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic