Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale or Trade: Maille shirtsRemoved Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Luke

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: For Sale/Trade: Maille shirts [REMOVED]         Reply with quote

This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

I am currently pulling together a Viking costume. I am looking for a 9th century helm. Should be accurate in appearance; look nice (middle to high end) and have complete leather suspension system and chin strap. I would prefer a spectacle type but will consider a conical type with leather-lined avantail. Must be made from Stainless Steel but since it’s for costume 18ga or 20ga will be fine.

I am selling several maille shirts that I have made over the years to offset the cost. I would also be willing to work out a trade. I am open to suggestions.

First shirt,
Butted mail T-tunic style with integral sleeves. Made from 14 gauge bronze wire the square neck, sleeves, and bottom edge are trimmed with 14 gauge nickel-silver wire. (Ring size ID approx. 0.210 in.) Woven in a standard 4:1 pattern, it contains approximately 50,000 rings and weighs around 41 pounds. It is sized to fit a 50" chest with a length shoulder to bottom of 37”and.
$350 plus shipping. I will work with you on the shipping, as this will be expensive to ship.
Second shirt,
Made from polished stainless steel split rings. The 4:1 European weave tunic-style expands to a maximum of 54". Length shoulder to bottom is 37”.
Inside ring diam. appx. .428"
Outside ring diam. appx. .542"
Wire diam. .051"
Weight appx. 23 lbs.
Approximately 12,700 rings
$350 plus shipping

Third shirt (Vest),

Knitted in the Dragonscale weave it is both dense and labor intensive to create. Again, I used polished stainless steel split rings because of their strength in the construction. As far as anyone on the mailing forums can figure out this weave dates to around 1998. Vests made in this style are low in number and are made using butted rings. Materials used are generally steel, stainless steel, Aluminum and Titanium. As far as I know this is the only example using SS Split rings.
Suitable for both combat and fantasy.
Description:
Side buckling (3 buckles per side) and sized to a 49”chest with no overlap at the sides.
Can be adjusted to fit smaller chest size with overlap.
Length shoulder to bottom 23”.

Stainless Steel Polished Split Ring (Small):
ID. .288" (7.31mm) OD. .380" (9.65mm) Wire Diameter .040" (1.016mm)

Stainless Steel Polished Split Ring (Large):
ID. .428" (10.87mm) OD. .542" (13.76mm) Wire Diameter .051" (1.29mm)
Approximately 20,000 rings total weight 25lbs.

Cost USD $450.00 + shp

Fourth Shirt,
This is my personal shirt. I have been fighting/jogging in it for the last couple of years. Condition is still perfect no signs of wear. You gotta love Stainless steel.

Made from polished stainless steel split rings. The 4:1 European weave tunic-style expands to a maximum of 58". Length shoulder to bottom is ~37”.
Inside ring diam. appx. .242"
Outside ring diam. appx. .334"
Wire diam. .040"
Weight appx. 26 lbs.
Approximately 41,000 rings
$450 plus shipping

Pictures can be found in the “Mail Armor” album at the below url.

[url]http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/borsofblackheath/my_photos [/url]

I would be happy to mail additional pictures to those seriously interested.

Thanks for looking.

I have decieded to to hang to the shirts and just order the helmet.
Thanks for looking.

There is no man worth a leke,
Be he sturdy, be he meke,
But he bear a basilard.

Last edited by Mike Luke on Wed 18 Aug, 2004 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Enlil O. Ball

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Iron Mail?         Reply with quote

You make any cheap iron or non-galvanized steel chain mail? Need a few more for some legionaries. I cant use lorica segamenta because Im reinacting in 9 A.D. =(
I cant believe you can make an armor that weighs 41 pounds... Ill stay with my 15 pound 16 gauge brass breastplate =)

Does any one know where I can buy a set of plain authentic centurion greaves?....

Enlil O. Ball
XIX Legio Germanica Centurio
Http://www.geocities.com/XIX_Legion
Si Vas Pacem, Para Bellum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mike Luke

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry I don't bother with the cheep stuff theirs just to much of the cheep indian stuff in the market place. Also the cheep mail is just not that strong. Ebay has lots of cheep mail or you might be able to find someone on one of the mailling forums. 41lbs is not that heavy besides it was my second shirt. My first SCA armor (scale) tipped the scales at 95lbs and served me well through practice, tournament and war for about 3 years. Just grow stronger Wink.

There is no man worth a leke,
Be he sturdy, be he meke,
But he bear a basilard.

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale or Trade: Maille shirtsRemoved
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic