Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Viking Movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Jason Bufkin
Industry Professional

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Leonardo DiCaprio as a viking? Does that sounds funny only to me??? Wink

Strange casting choices always make me think of a time during the run up to the release of the first Lord of the Rings movie,

This was before they had even announced their casting picks for the series and rumors were flying. At lunch that day, I mentioned to my buddy at A&A, who is as much of a fan of Tolkien as I am myself, that I had heard a rumor that Tom Cruise was to be cast as Aragorn...

I'll never forget it. He got the haughtiest, 'offended officer' look on his face, snorted in disgust and muttered with a sneer, "He's no King of Men..." It was one of those glorious shared geek moments, followed by equal feelings of embarrassment and high-five. We found it terribly funny. It is quite possible you had to be there. Happy
Martin Kocajda

PostPosted: Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think DeCaprio can even grow a beard. Razz
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Bufkin wrote:

This was before they had even announced their casting picks for the series and rumors were flying. At lunch that day, I mentioned to my buddy at A&A, who is as much of a fan of Tolkien as I am myself, that I had heard a rumor that Tom Cruise was to be cast as Aragorn...

Stuart Townsend (think Lestat in Queen of the Damned) was originally cast as Aragorn in LOTR. They soon decided it wasn't going to work out, and replaced him with Viggo Mortenson.

Attachment: 14.48 KB
townsend02.jpg
Stuart Townsend as Aragorn - what might have been :)
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks too young.
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott S. wrote:
I just hope they get the horns on the helmets right. Happy

You mean with the horns on the inside of the helmets?

"We got 'em on the cheap on what the smithy was calling the 'Olaf the Hairy Commemorative Sale', sir."
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh goodness this reminds me of a really old viking flick I can't remember the name of it or the actors names but they get attacked what I guess were apache's running through the woods and this really obese guy with a double bit axe and giant horned helmet turns and fights while the main actor goes back to the "long boat" and was given up for dead but comes bursting out of the woods in the end and swims to the boat. Lol anyone got an idea of what I'm babbling about?
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it has to be better than some of the more recent Viking movies.
www.viking-shield.com
David Huggins

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Viking Movie         Reply with quote

Jonathan,

'Your' movie sounds like the Lee Majors (Six Million Dolar Man) flick 'The Norseman'

'http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078007/usercomments

Very low budget total nonsence, car wheel hubs for shields etc!

cheers

Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Viking Movie         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
Jonathan,

'Your' movie sounds like the Lee Majors (Six Million Dolar Man) flick 'The Norseman'

cheers

Dave

I only remember it because it was 1 1/2 hours of my life I will never get back and was totally stupid and non-historical even for me at the time when I still believed in Viking helmets with cow horns .... Sad Sad Sad Razz Evil WTF?!

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of Viking flicks, the first one I saw was the one made in 1958, with Ernest Borgnine, Kirk Douglas, and Tony Curtis. It's not bad from a weapon/equipment perspective: not a horned helmet in sight, just nasals and eye protectors (ala Vendel) and your basic conical helmet. Not much mail, lots of leather. Swords were about right, too.

--ElJay
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Viking Movie         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
David Huggins wrote:
Jonathan,

cheers

Dave

I only remember it because it was 1 1/2 hours of my life I will never get back and was totally stupid and non-historical even for me at the time when I still believed in Viking helmets with cow horns .... Sad Sad Sad Razz Evil WTF?!

It was indeed horribly non-historical. But I went into it more as a comedy. And its not so bad that way.

www.viking-shield.com
Myrick J. Hethington

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did anyone see" Erik the Viking"?It was meant to be a complete joke but they got some of the equipment right!
"The name of the sword sayd the lady is Excalibur,that is as muche to say it cuts stele."
Sir Thomas Malory,Le Morte Darthur.1485
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Bufkin wrote:
Quote:

Leonardo DiCaprio as a viking? Does that sounds funny only to me??? Wink

Strange casting choices always make me think of a time during the run up to the release of the first Lord of the Rings movie,

I'll never forget it. He got the haughtiest, 'offended officer' look on his face, snorted in disgust and muttered with a sneer, "He's no King of Men..." It was one of those glorious shared geek moments, followed by equal feelings of embarrassment and high-five. We found it terribly funny. It is quite possible you had to be there. Happy

Haha, that's just awesome. But really your friend was spot on.

" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Myrick J. Hethington wrote:
Did anyone see" Erik the Viking"?It was meant to be a complete joke but they got some of the equipment right!

I always enjoy the movie. I love the scene with the magical invisibility. haha

www.viking-shield.com
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

has anyone seen Pathfinder? not too bad a movie by entertainment standards, but got a historical accuracy EPIC FAIL! now in addition to horned helmets and double-bit axes, they are running around with hand and a half swords! and indians chop their firewood with them! Laughing Out Loud and the viking R&D team is now equipping thier warriors with Muslim style plate and mail armour! and they all are now insomniacs apparently, because they've got more mascara than an emo kid! and apparantly a one-handed sword can cleave a pseudo great helm in half! and besides the background actors swearing to Jupiter and Thengel (a king of Rohan in LOTR) it didnt get any better.
"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Watch the original Pathfinder instead. At least that one is good. The one mentioned above is probably one of the worst highbudget movies I've ever seen. Wasted two hours of my life there...
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0093668/
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
Speaking of Viking flicks, the first one I saw was the one made in 1958, with Ernest Borgnine, Kirk Douglas, and Tony Curtis. It's not bad from a weapon/equipment perspective: not a horned helmet in sight, just nasals and eye protectors (ala Vendel) and your basic conical helmet. Not much mail, lots of leather. Swords were about right, too.

--ElJay

Hi Eljay!

"The Vikings"! One of my favorites! They actually did some research, and it shows. Even the horses are "accurate"!

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Quarantillo wrote:
has anyone seen Pathfinder? not too bad a movie by entertainment standards, but got a historical accuracy EPIC FAIL! now in addition to horned helmets and double-bit axes, they are running around with hand and a half swords! and indians chop their firewood with them! Laughing Out Loud and the viking R&D team is now equipping thier warriors with Muslim style plate and mail armour! and they all are now insomniacs apparently, because they've got more mascara than an emo kid! and apparantly a one-handed sword can cleave a pseudo great helm in half! and besides the background actors swearing to Jupiter and Thengel (a king of Rohan in LOTR) it didnt get any better.

Everytime I see "Pathfinder" mentioned, I cannot keep quiet about how much I detested this piece of steaming.... well, I'll stop there. No I won't -- this was a horribly acted, ludicrous, stupidly written, quasi-racist... I'm being as positive as I can be... I better stop before I really get into trouble... did I tell you how much I detest this film? Razz

It stole two hours of my life. Please, do not allow this "film" to steal any of your time!

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll be honest; I do not expect that much historical accuracy from any Hollywood movie, least of all one dealing with vikings. I just hope they manage to make one where the vikings look, dress and behave somewhat like actual vikings.

Basically, it would be nice to get a viking movie with the same high standard of accuracy as, shall we say, Gladiator or Troy? I don't think that's too much to ask.

Myrick J. Hethington wrote:

I can honestly say that Erik the Viking is easily the best viking movie I've ever seen in terms of production design. But then again, it's not Hollywood - made by the British.

I swear, there is something about vikings that makes Hollywood production designers lose all sense of professionalism, taste and common.

Then again, Beowulf wasn't that bad. (Even if it wasn't strictly viking.) So, I hope they've learned something in later years.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: new Viking Movie         Reply with quote

'The Vikings' movie is surely beloved by most Viking Age re-enactors, who can forget that memorable theme score, ' 'Prepare a funeral for a Viking ' indeed. The characters of Ragnar (Borgnien) and Ivar (Douglas) and Aella (?) are based on historical persons as well and the novel the movie is based upon is recommended.

The longboat used in 'Erik the Viking' would appear on screen again, featuring in the video for the 'Justified and Ancient' song by KLF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frd5YmSjjII filmed in the tank at Pinewood Sudios. Regia Anglorum members where hired to crew the boat and as payment that re-enactment society took ownership of their first boat, which is still going strong! The dodgy prow and stern decorations have of course been removed.

cheers

Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Viking Movie
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: