Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New 17th c. style Magyar/Polish saber Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: New 17th c. style Magyar/Polish saber         Reply with quote

Correspondingly to Matthew Korenkiewicz projects I was two busy in my own project of recreating a Magyar/Polish saber.
It is finally done. 36" overall, just under 2 pounds, POB 3.5", this is a fast saber. Blade is an old military stock, looks like of late 19th century vintage. It had been checked by a blacksmith and was found of high quality and well tempered. The spine is thick so the blade is stiff. I didn't put any effort into the blade - it retains its original somehow aged polish and the edge is semi-sharp. Hilt parts are hand forged and fire-blackened. Now, the scabbard shows a certain degree of "artist freedom", being made entirely of leather: interior thick core covered by better grade thin leather, throat & chape are from leather as well.
Check here Matthew fabulous sabers:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=15334

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=15703

Attachment: 136.1 KB
DSCN1329.JPG

Attachment: 116.93 KB
DSCN1331.JPG

Attachment: 145.83 KB
DSCN1332.JPG

Attachment: 115.3 KB
DSCN1333.JPG

Attachment: 108.65 KB
DSCN1334.JPG

Attachment: 106.96 KB
DSCN1335.JPG

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats a fine piece, Well done Sa'Ar!
inkothemgard!
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another Saber In The House ! B-)

I've been looking forward to seeing the results of your endeavor, Sa'ar, and it
looks like you're very pleased with the results ! Congratulations, kind Sir and
many thanks for sharing.

Considering where the blade originates from, and the rugged design of the
furniture, your saber has an interesting historical look. How does the thumb-
ring feel when attempting to control the blade ? For instance, do you get any
" pinchings " at certain angles ? Did you have any discussions regarding how
far back to set the thumb-ring, or how far forward ?

I like the look of the scabbard, and would really like to see it in better lighting;
front and back to see how it is put together, if possible !
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you guys Big Grin .
I like the rugged appearance indeed. I would describe it as a middle-class weapon.
During its manufacture I has several hands-on discaussion with the maker, regarding the angle of the knuckle guard and the angle and location of the thumb ring. Although it looks somewhat oblong, it is actually very comfortable to hold and adds precise control to the point. It doesn't pinch as it tapers and rounded from within, and it is best when being held by a gloved hand (single layer leather). I think the thumb ring is absolutely a personal thing. Note that in my saber, the ring is not an add-on to the gaurd, but a bent and riveted langet.
I will be glad to take more photos in daylight, as for now all my things are stored away so it may take (alot) more time to accomplish.

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
During its manufacture I has several hands-on discussion with the maker, regarding the angle of the
knuckle guard and the angle and location of the thumb ring. Although it looks somewhat oblong, it is actually
very comfortable to hold and adds precise control to the point. It doesn't pinch as it tapers and rounded from
within, and it is best when being held by a gloved hand (single layer leather). I think the thumb ring is absolutely
a personal thing. Note that in my saber, the ring is not an add-on to the gaurd, but a bent and riveted langet.

What I wondered throughout my own search and eventual commissions, Sa'ar, was whether or
not historical examples of a saber with thumb-ring proposed a " generic " mounting of the thumb-
ring. Was it " one size fits all " or did makers zero in on a near-perfect location for said detail ? I am
of the opinion that when you grip the sword the upper part of the thumb should be near and about
paralell to the formost part of the saber's L-hilt, if you follow me ...

Then there is the point you raise about the nature of creating the thumb-ring itself : Is it historically
a part of the langet -- like yours -- bent into position ? or, as with my Black Saber, a rivetted add-on
to the existing langet ? I think, if I recall photographs I've seen, BOTH tactics were used ...

Another point, too, is the shape of the ring. Oblong ? Tear-drop ? Circular ? What I believe is the
essential characteristic, however, is that area where the bottom of the thumb curls through the
ring should firmly cradle the thumb so much that one's grip " feels " anchorred in place ...
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew, you rase good questions. I'm afraid I hadn't the chance to examine enough of those sabers, so I cannot answer the matter of the "general size" thumb ring. All my sources show different rings in size, shape and technique, though the posture seems to be the same.
As for the placing of the ring in its place I've seen both in books and reality all kinds of techniques: riveting, brazing, forge-welding and even casting (silver and bronze hilts).

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New 17th c. style Magyar/Polish saber
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic