Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms & Armor Cup Hilt and Italian Rapiers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Arms & Armor Cup Hilt and Italian Rapiers         Reply with quote

Does anybody out there own either of these swords? I am comtemplating the Italian and would like to hear your impressions of it. I was contemplating the cup hilt but it appears to have an Epee blade WTF?! . Is this true? If so why is this type of blade being used?

Thanks,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did a review on an Italian rapier here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_ni.html

As said in the review, though, that mine was modified from the normal version with a wider, longer, and heavier blade.

I have not handled the cuphilt at all, though I seriously doubt the blade is an epee blade. For starters, the listed length is way too long. Secondly, they would probably say so, as in the case of their smallsword. You should give them a call and find out for certain.

I'm sure you'd be pretty happy with it regardless. I've been very happy with all of my A&A pieces.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Cup hilt         Reply with quote

Hello Nate

The blade on the cuphilt is one of our narrower rapier blades. I will say that this item often has more variation in the blade per customer request than our other products as those using it for WMA are looking for some particular characteristcs in the action of the piece. I actually have about four variations that I do for different individuals with this piece.

Best
Craig
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cup hilt         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Hello Nate

The blade on the cuphilt is one of our narrower rapier blades. I will say that this item often has more variation in the blade per customer request than our other products as those using it for WMA are looking for some particular characteristcs in the action of the piece. I actually have about four variations that I do for different individuals with this piece.

Best
Craig

Hi Craig,

Out of curiosity, what sort of variations?

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Jon C. Webb

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate, I've never handled the Italian rapier, and would also appreciate anyone's comments about the light version. I have been fortunate to recently receive the Dresden set, and can attest to the exquisite craftsmanship at A&A. Craig is friendly and very accessible, so I agree direct communication is a good idea. Happy
"So I opened my door to my enemies
and I said 'Can we wipe the slate clean?'
They told me to please go @*$% myself:
You know, you just can't win."
Pink Floyd
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Custimizing blades         Reply with quote

Hello Geoff

Well it mainly has to do with blade dynamics. The weight to length ratio needed for the style of combat and the geometery desired. Some may pefer the actual shape of the blade to be adjusted and others may need a forged tip for their respective regs on use. The cup hilt is a very maximized type of weapon. It needs to be tuned to a specific purpose as the blade to hilt ratio can be quite extreme.

Regards
Craig
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Custimizing blades         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Hello Geoff

Well it mainly has to do with blade dynamics. The weight to length ratio needed for the style of combat and the geometery desired. Some may pefer the actual shape of the blade to be adjusted and others may need a forged tip for their respective regs on use. The cup hilt is a very maximized type of weapon. It needs to be tuned to a specific purpose as the blade to hilt ratio can be quite extreme.

Regards
Craig

Thanks, Craig!

Sincerely,

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Brock H

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own the Italian and the 2-ring from A&A. I did a review on both a while back on SFI. As a quick summery--the Italian has a shorter, narrower and lighter blade with the point of balance closer to the hilt. As a result, it feels livelier in the hand and is faster. On the other hand, the 2-ring has more blade presence and would be harder for an opponent to move out of line and conversely with it it would be easier to move an opponent's blade out of line. I believe the difference in weigh is only about 4 oz.

Of the two, I prefer the Italian for its quicker handling. It was also my first really good rapier, which also probably has something to do with my preference for it. But the 2-ring is also great and I would not part with either. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

I have not handled A&A's cup hilt, so can say nothing about it. I hope this has been of some help.

Oh, you might also ask Russ Ellis of Tritonworks Custom Works about these two. He made scabbards for both and had them at the same time. He also had my permission to handle them and do some testing with them--thrusts, etc. So he can give you some comparison on them as well.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms & Armor Cup Hilt and Italian Rapiers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic