Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sword-Less Scabbard Order: The Albion Count Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian K.
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Sword-Less Scabbard Order: The Albion Count         Reply with quote

Hello myArmoury Community,

Allow the honor of displaying my latest completed commission, which is another sword-less scabbard order, the Albion Count.

I'm really happy with the results of this one, as I accomplished a really rich tan color in the scabbard leather that really catches the eye. The double-belt setup really fits this one well too, as it rest's comfortably at your side. Ultimately, this one turned out to be one of my personal favorites.

Please feel free to comment. Also, more (larger) images can be viewed on my website.

Thanks for looking!

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Allen W

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful leather work, but it looks as though it was it built on a rather "planky", unfinished core.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The wood core is smooth as butter. Perhaps what you're seeing is the grain of the leather reflecting in the light.

Edit: not what I was expecting for a first comment. Am I missing something? I never claimed to be a expert camera man.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not a thing wrong with it I think. How did you do that shield design near the throat?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Not a thing wrong with it I think. How did you do that shield design near the throat?

M.

Ahh, thank you. I made a 'tube' persay out of wood shaped like a shield with a bandsaw. The reason for the 'tube' or length is when working with power tools it is best to keep the object larger. I then cut off 1/8" 'slices (only 2, in case I messed the first one up). I then thinned the leather around where the shield would go, and long story short, molded wet leather around the wooden shield. I followed it up with some minor tooling.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In case anyone is curious this is what all of my cores look like when ready for leather.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What really strikes me as being excellent with your work above and beyond all the excellent tooling, decorative features etc is your choice and execution of colours. This aspect is the "icing on the cake". You always execute the correct complimentary colours whether they match or contrast between, the swords components, scabbards and belt, bringing them all together successfully to complete a harmonious visual "whole".
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
R D Moore

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll echo Paul's comments, Brian. You're choice of colors and design reflect your talent! I like this one the best, too. The crosses are carried into the components, and your choice of lacing is perfect. You're in the right business for you, Brian!
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stunning as usual Brian. You amaze me with your craftsmanship and artistry. I agree that your color selections are striking and quite pleasing, being complimentary yet giving good contrast at the same time. Really top notch. Thanks for showing just how fantastic a scabbard can be when coupled with a high end production sword.

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We will have to invent some new terms to use instead of "outstanding!", "fantastic!" and such as otherwise we just have to repeat ourselves each time you post images of your latest creation Happy
I have to agree with others - colours you picked for leather seem to fit perfectly for the sword, also I do like how you always seem to choose the right amount of decorations for the scabbard - I have seen scabbards that seem to be too emblemished with too much decor, yet your's seem to compliment the blade, not to take attention away with unnecessary stuff.
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/outstanding

Let's see how quickly we get through them all Razz

M.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ace*, bad*, boss*, capital*, celebrated, chief, cool*, crack*, distinguished, dominant, eminent, eventful, exceptional, famous, far-out*, great, important, impressive, magnificent, main, major, meritorious, momentous, number one, phenomenal, predominant, preeminent, principal, special, star, super, superior, superlative, well-known, A-1

Yes, I cheated.

My Count wants one! If only my bank account understood our needs.

" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Jonathan Atkin

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to have something like that for my albion tritonia, looks realy sweet keep up the good work!
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just received this package a little while ago, and it really blew me away! I have several commissions from Brian, but this one stands out. I was a little skeptical about the possibility of a perfect fit without sending my sword. But this has me convinced. Along with this package, Brian built a much simpler scabbard for my AT1315. They both fit so perfectly that anyone examining them would never believe Brian didn't have my swords to use in building the cores.

I was so pleased with the Count scabbard/belt that I felt compelled to share this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShDDO334DE
Allen W

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response, I forgot that I had posted on this thread. When I said planky I meant that from the photos the core did not appear as well contoured as I'm used to seeing (as in your bare core photo). Maybe its the lighting but it looks kinda flat to me.The fit as shown in the video is very impressive.
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Harris wrote:
I just received this package a little while ago, and it really blew me away! I have several commissions from Brian, but this one stands out. I was a little skeptical about the possibility of a perfect fit without sending my sword. But this has me convinced. Along with this package, Brian built a much simpler scabbard for my AT1315. They both fit so perfectly that anyone examining them would never believe Brian didn't have my swords to use in building the cores.

I was so pleased with the Count scabbard/belt that I felt compelled to share this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShDDO334DE

Didn't know you were a member over here too, ShooterMike!

Congrats on your new scabbard.

M.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sword-Less Scabbard Order: The Albion Count
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic