Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Modding my saber. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Modding my saber.         Reply with quote

The two first "real" swords I ever got a hold of (and in fact the only real one ones in my collection as of this moment) are a pair of sabers from India that my brother picked up for me on some flee market for two hundred crowns a piece. They resemble cavalry sabers but going by the etchings on the blades I suspect they have actually been Sikh procession swords. (We've found other such sabers since then but most of it was basically junk.)

Though I was thrilled to own something not made out of soft iron or stainless steel, I was never satisfied with how they handled. The grips are covered by some kind of slick synthetic and with poor ergonomy, leading to a lot of slippage of the hand when I try to use them. Plus, they twist on their tangs with strong swings, badly misaligning the blades. They also lack any sort of counterweight in the guard save a metal cap forming a sort of rudimentary pommel: made to hold the grip together more then anything. And the guards are just thin sheet metal cutouts, one of which had actually been slightly mangled during the fright when I finally got them. In other words, the hilts struck me as almost completely useless.

The blades, on the other hand, are pretty nice. They have decent geometry and seem to have been heat-treated. So today, as I was feeling a bit blue and needed something to do, I decided to go through with one of my wilder ideas: modify one of the blades and make a new hilt for it.

So I wrapped the blade in a wet towel, took my handy multitool and stuck a cutting disc on it, and went to work. It was easier then I had expected and it only took a few hours to cut away roughly two inches of metal on either side of the base of the blade. (The blade had a decimeter-long ricasso that wasn't doing anything.) This gives me a much longer tang to work with and reduced to length of the blade to a range I honestly feel more comfortable with.

Tomorrow I might find a camera and snap some photos of it all to illustrate the process. Then I'll finish off the rough edges on the tang and the shoulders with a grinding wheel or a file. After that I'll heat the tang and bend it somewhat since I intend to fit it with a pistol-ish grip. Then I should be ready to get started on the new hilt, provided I can get a hold of suitable materials.

I hope this will be an interesting project. So far it's been pretty fun. Happy

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sounds interesting, I will look forward to watching the progress.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Modding My Sabre         Reply with quote

Anders,
When your creation is finished don't forget to post its photos.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll try to snap some photos today.. (I would have done it yesterday but I hadn't slept at all the previous night and was kinda out of it.) Tomorrow I hope to go to town and pick up some materials for the hilt.

-Homer Simpson.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alrigth, here we go.

What the original hilt was like. (It's worse then it looks.)

The blade after cutting.

The new tang compared to that of the other sword. Ironically, the two blades ended up nearly exactly the same lenght after this modification.

Shot of the full blade.

-Homer Simpson.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Urrgh. The original grip looks almost like it was made ugly on purpose. Add me to the list of people cheering you on, Anders.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Urrgh. The original grip looks almost like it was made ugly on purpose. Add me to the list of people cheering you on, Anders.

Heh, thanks. I can kinda take ugly but when paired with impracticality, well, that's I where I draw the line.

As for the new hilt, It's progressing, albeit slowly. I don't really have a good workshop so there's a lot of improvising going on, and I'm kinda aquiring new tools as I need them. (What I wouldn't do for a good belt grinder. *sigh*)

-Homer Simpson.
Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

May I ask, what technique you used to do the cutting? You indicate it took a few hours, was that in lots of light passes from the side down, or going straight in, edge-on as it were?

Thanks!

-Stephanie
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephanie Maks wrote:
May I ask, what technique you used to do the cutting? You indicate it took a few hours, was that in lots of light passes from the side down, or going straight in, edge-on as it were?

Thanks!

-Stephanie

I used a small cutting disc mounted on my die grinder, plus this add-on I have -I'm not sure what it's called- that extends the die grinder into something like a pen.

Anyway, the cutting disk didn't pack a lot of bite so it did take some time, but on the other hand it allowed me some control of what I was doing and didn't generate too much heat, which I feared might mess with the temper. I basically just cut up along the blade from the tang and then in from the sides -you can see the two pieces I cut off in the two middle pictures above.

It took a lot out of the cutting discs, by the way- I had to replace the first one since i had nearly worn it down. In retrospect, I could probably just as well have used a regular hacksaw, though it would have meant more work. Oh well.

-Homer Simpson.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Modding my saber.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic