Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > NextGen vs. A&A Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
One thing I don't understand about the hot peening process -- What is holding the guard tight against the shoulder? Is it a tight, forced mechanical fit, or is it that fit, plus some bonding that might occur between the guard and the tang during the hot peening process? Or something else?

Check out This Article for some insights. Step Six has some answers to your questions.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Here is a previous thread in which the Albion stuff explains the guard assembly:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=865

Alexi
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hahahahahahahaha {in an evil cackle}         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:

Did I tell you what my brother got me for my fortieth bday. 40 year old port Newport 1963, a noted vintage. Saddly I am almost 41 and it no longer is with me. But it died as noble a death as any great hero of legend! It was pure nector.

Oh you sooo suck! Why didn't you share? No more Optima for you! Happy

I'd rather highjack it because I don't like these vs. threads (no offense to anyone). Happy

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hahahahahahahaha {in an evil cackle}         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
I'd rather highjack it because I don't like these vs. threads (no offense to anyone). Happy

I don't either. Though I think there's value to the comparison of pieces and even makers, I don't know if the "this vs. this" type of wording is really all that condusive to positive conversation... so far, we've been really well behaved and on topic.. another indication of how much this site's community simply.. well, rocks.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
The nice thing about a pommel nut, (A&A and ATrim) is that that pressure can be restored easily.

Which current A&A swords have pommel nuts?

A couple have rivet blocks--a very nice historical detail--but are not threaded. As Craig told me recently, and I mentioned above, they've changed to making all swords (smallsword and stage weapons excluded) with peened, not threaded, tangs.

I never said they were threaded. I guess I misspoke when I described the arrangement on top of my Schloss Erbach pommel as a pommel nut.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I never said they were threaded. I guess I misspoke when I described the arrangement on top of my Schloss Erbach pommel as a pommel nut.

Yours might be old enough to have it threaded though.. I think I have one that is.. was just wondering about the current items for prospective buyers...

Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hahahahahahahaha {in an evil cackle}         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Eric McHugh wrote:

I don't either. Though I think there's value to the comparison of pieces and even makers, I don't know if the "this vs. this" type of wording is really all that condusive to positive conversation... so far, we've been really well behaved and on topic.. another indication of how much this site's community simply.. well, rocks.

Laughing Out Loud I was mostly being silly. It is hard when, like in Craig's case, I really respect the other maker. Often these type threads are merely a pooling of opinions rather than empirical statements. Please do not read that I think this is bad, but I'm sure Craig will agree that it is often difficult to compare one maker to another...many factors to consider...some are not quite as tangible as others. Just me being opinionated again. Big Grin

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: I agree Eric         Reply with quote

I agree Eric

I just see it as a great choice for the customers as I think their money would be well spent on either product line.

Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Pommel Nut stuff         Reply with quote

Howdy All

I just wanted to clear up, or muddy up depending on the point of view, the process we use for sword assembly. Its a relatively consistant process with the swords. The tang passes through the guard, grip and pommel in the usual manner. The pommels that recieve a pommel nut will have one applied. This is where we will use threading unless the customer has requested otherwise. Then we peen the tang to hold the nut in place. The pommels that do not usually have a pommel nut are peened in place. The items are fit as tightly as possible prior to this peening so the compression needed is minimal.

If any on needs info on specific items just email me and I can give you the skinny.

Best
Craig
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pommel Nut stuff         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Howdy All

I just wanted to clear up, or muddy up depending on the point of view, the process we use for sword assembly. Its a relatively consistant process with the swords. The tang passes through the guard, grip and pommel in the usual manner. The pommels that recieve a pommel nut will have one applied. This is where we will use threading unless the customer has requested otherwise. Then we peen the tang to hold the nut in place. The pommels that do not usually have a pommel nut are peened in place. The items are fit as tightly as possible prior to this peening so the compression needed is minimal.

If any on needs info on specific items just email me and I can give you the skinny.

Best
Craig

Yay! From the horse's mouth.

Er, sorry for calling you a horse. Happy

Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wasn't really looking for opinions on which sword is better. I just wanted to know about how each was made. I personally love both makers. Each has swords types the other doesn't and exceptional quality. So I guess there really wasn't even a good reason for this thread other than an idiot’s curiosity. Blush
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For what its worth I think the question and the answers provided (by the people in question) were interesting. Its was also nice to see it discussed in a friendly manner.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Hold on just one minute...         Reply with quote

Ryan A. C. wrote:
I wasn't really looking for opinions on which sword is better. I just wanted to know about how each was made. I personally love both makers. Each has swords types the other doesn't and exceptional quality. So I guess there really wasn't even a good reason for this thread other than an idiot’s curiosity. Blush

Ryan, you have every right to start this thread, and from a customers point of view, it is very relevant. As a maker, I dislike these threads...mostly because they are hard to qualify. It is MY hang-up, not yours. I like to get along with everyone...including my comp. In Craig's case, he is a friend, which makes these threads even more uncomfortable. So I dislike any thread that could possibly unsettle my little fantasy world. Happy

You are not an idiot and your questions are relevant. I'm sorry I gave the impression that what you were doing was bad...forgive me. Please ask away... Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > NextGen vs. A&A
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: