Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Zaporozhian Cossack Scimitar, 18th Century Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Zaporozhian Cossack Scimitar, 18th Century         Reply with quote

Below is an extremely rare antique 18th century Zaporozhian Cossack sword made in the manner of a Persian scimitar. Details: A single–edged curved wide and very heavy Damascus steel blade, decorated with silver inlaid ornaments. The hilt of the sword is made in a typical Persian style, with a brass cross-guard, wooden grips with copper and brass straps, an iron pommel cup and wire wrap. A leather-bound and stitched with spiral brass wire wooden scabbard with two iron fittings with loops for suspension primitively decorated with a stamped design of oak leaves and acorns. Many of these types of crudely made swords in the style of the Persian scimitar can be seen in museums around in Ukraine and are associated with the Zaporozhian Cossacks and are dated to the 17th-18th century. The Cossacks imported blades for swords mostly from the Crimean Tatar Khanate, Persia or Turkey, which were then mounted locally in Ukraine but in the Persian and Turkish style of mounting. This sword, except for a general scimitar pattern, has not a single detail connecting it with fine Islamic art work. All of the features of this sword such as the wooden hilt with straps and the cross-guard made of various metals as copper, iron and brass, the fittings of the scabbard made of an iron sheet and stamped with a design of oak leaves and acorns, an uneven spiral brass wire on the leather-bound scabbard, and the crude silver ornaments on the blade, indicate that this is rare example of a Zaporozhian Cossack's sword made in the style of a Persian scimitar. Condition: The sword is in good condition considering its age with minor wear and pitting except for the scabbard which is damaged with a split, a broken end, and the leather is extremely dry and fragile, partly missing.

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Sun 06 Apr, 2008 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What is a Z unpronouncable Cossack? I didn't know that there were varieties of Cossacks, I thought they were like Model T's Laughing Out Loud

Ken Speed
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm no saber expert, so this might be a stupid question but I've always wondered; how can one draw a blade that has a stronger curve on one half of the blade then the other? It seems to me like it should get stuck in the scabbard.

Ken Speed wrote:
What is a Z unpronouncable Cossack? I didn't know that there were varieties of Cossacks, I thought they were like Model T's Laughing Out Loud

Ken Speed

I'm guessing a cossack from Zaporozhia.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:

There were many ethnic sub-groups of Cossack, much in the same way that the population of the U.S. of A. can be divided into regions like New England, the Midwest, etc. this Wikipedia page is a fairly good overview of who and what the Zaporozhian Cossacks were, while for the other Cossacks you can check the general Cossacks article.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Zaporozhian Cossack Scimitar, 18th Century         Reply with quote

The etchings found on the sword's blade.
Nikolay Yermolenko

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice blade!
To nie sztuka zabić kruka, to nie sprawa dla zolnerza, ale sztuka całkiem śmieża gołą dupą zabić jeża.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette wrote,"There were many ethnic sub-groups of Cossack, much in the same way that the population of the U.S. of A. can be divided into regions like New England, the Midwest, etc. this Wikipedia page is a fairly good overview of who and what the Zaporozhian Cossacks were, while for the other Cossacks you can check the general Cossacks article."

Well Gee,

If you're going to insist on using logic and common sense! Laughing Out Loud I had no idea, I pretty much thought they were a unified bunch and that they almost all died in the Russian Revolution fighting for the Czar. There's a whole lot of history and it isn't easy keeping up with it all.

I'm constantly amazed at the things I learn here!

Thanks,

Ken
Manouchehr M.

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for sharing this. Could you please provide us with a close-up of the blade?

Kind regards
Manouchehr

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
Kelly Powell

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would like to swing that....That kind of hilt intrigues me.....would you use a "handshake" grip with that?Would the 90 deg bend like that act as a wrist support?
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Zaporozhian Cossack Scimitar, 18th Century         Reply with quote

Manouchehr,
I do have the blade's close-ups.

Attachment: 49.22 KB
suc95e.jpg

Attachment: 84.21 KB
[ Download ]
Felix Grashalmstahl

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks very similar to the shashka of the minor staff of turkmen division, Russian army, 1895
length 940 mm,
blade 810 mm,
blade width 34 mm
weight 1350 gr.

UPD: this turkmen division shashka it is not damascus, of course.
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, no one will know about it beter than Manouchehr Wink but in my opinion it's shamshir in ewery part of it, well, blade looks a little bit wider than usual, and engrawes are not tipical for persian arm, but looks like arab alfabet, so, I guess, that if saber (not scimitar WTF?! ) is not persian, it can be tatar work (doubtfully) known in Poland as "ordynka" {orda - horde}.
I mean tatars that habited eastern part of Polish kingdom. ( parts of it are in Lituania, Belarussia and Ukraine now)
Howewer tatar handles are a litle bit different from shamshirs - persian handle bends at right angle, tatar ones bend at wide angle, from 45 to 60. But ordynka's blade was wider than shamshir, it was tipicaly cavalery saber, wery popular in 18-th.
at added picture nr 1 is persian, nr 3 is tatar ordynka.

Attachment: 125.32 KB
szab.jpg

Felix Grashalmstahl

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zaporozhian Cossacks often had battles with turks and persians and many of them were victorious. So, persian arms were common among Cossaks.

Here is one of the most famous paintings of Zaporozhian Cossacks by Ilya Repin http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...ssacks.jpg (1.2 megabyte - you will like it) One can see many eastern-style weapons here. The painting describes a moment when Cossacks are writing a reply for the ultimatum by Mehmed IV.

Here one can see the text they are laughing at. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks
Shayan G

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good grief, how did those ogres ever ride horses? The ones in the painting are enormous! Certainly not the gaunt and wiry horsemen I expected...
http://www.arco-iris.com/George/images/ural_cossack.jpg
I know that's a Ural cossack, but that's always been the image in my mind's eye.

You have to be a man, first, before you can be a gentleman!
~the immortal John Wayne
Felix Grashalmstahl

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

they were not heavier than knights in armour.

And you can see that the heaviest of them were rather old - they were chief officers. And they were really strong men.

Your picture shows a Cossack of the 20th century - and these lived in the 17th. That time they were not a state regular military service, but a kind of viking-style republic. Most of the paintings describe Cossack atamans of 1600-s as rather big men.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/4/4d...9_2002.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...lnicki.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/6/6d...%D0%BA.jpg - here is the diplomatic meeting of Polish mission with famous getman Bogdan Khmelnitsky - they have similar constitution

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...Riazin.jpg - This guy being an ataman of Don Cossacks has captured many Russian and Persian cities)
Shayan G

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Grashalmstahl wrote:
they were not heavier than knights in armour.

Yes but they weren't exactly riding destriers, either! For a force renowned for lighting-fast maneuvers and tactics, I expected troops a bit more streamlined. As a horse person, I always inwardly groan at the burdens the poor beasts have to bear sometimes... But if those are generals, it would make a lot of sense! Haha. And it's always fun to have one's stereotypes laid waste!
Thanks for the info!

You have to be a man, first, before you can be a gentleman!
~the immortal John Wayne
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Grashalmstahl wrote:
Zaporozhian Cossacks often had battles with turks and persians and many of them were victorious. So, persian arms were common among Cossaks.

Here is one of the most famous paintings of Zaporozhian Cossacks by Ilya Repin

Well, Felix... It's a picture Happy
In fact, they rarely fight with Osmans, ocasionaly serving them as mercenary troops, usually they raided crimea tatars (and vice versa), more equal for there power or turkish setlements on a Black sea. in "real" batles they meet with Osmans as Polish mercenary troops. When they send this famous letter to sultan, Zaporozhie was about 20 years in russian empire.
And I newer heard about cossacks vs. Persia wars, thats a surprise for me Happy
Well, military ogranised society of all kind of outlaws from all over the East Europe, this group had rather eventful history, you can find a lot of it in Net.
Talking about cossacks stile of fight - here: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafika:Taborkozacki.jpg
is interesting picture.

Last edited by Kerim Mamedov on Thu 10 Apr, 2008 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shayan G wrote:

I know that's a Ural cossack, but that's always been the image in my mind's eye.

And he is "sotnik" what means "centurion" Happy
Felix Grashalmstahl

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Turkish city of Azov has been held by Zaporozhians since 1637 till 1641. In his famous raid (1667) Razin has captured several Persian cities. Such raids took place rather often.

Russia became an empire in 1721.
Zaporozhye formally was a part of Russia in 1676 (the date of a letter from the painting), but in fact Zaporozhian Sech' was autonomous till the end of the 18th century.

Last edited by Felix Grashalmstahl on Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerzy Miklaszewski

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually consider it one of the Cossack Shashkas. (Szaszka)
Though I am no expert: Szaszka much resembles the type of the sword that can be found at Leningrads museum - Ermitaż
here you have a a sample

Though the hilt may differ the style of the blade is much the same.
The hilt seems to derive much from the turkish and arabian(damascen) style of sabers of XVI or even XVII century.

Actually the Cossacks of Zaporoże where mostly very primitive, if not barbaric folk.
The actual cossacks that most of you would mention where more to the west, and they were wielding such things - they were mostly living in Kresy.
Or that what I think - if you want I would be glad to give you a literature to backup my words...

PS: Felix - this saber you showed, are you sure it is a shashka? I would consider that more of the Arabian damascen type saber... (because of the blade fashion)
PS2: Kerim - ordynka is rather Cherkish (or Caucasian) style of sabers - they were the precursors of the shashkas - but the hilt is totally from a different period. It is much younger...
You even showed that in the page of Zabłockis book you included in your posts.

"Work is of two kinds, first altering the position of matter at or near the earth's surface relatively to other such matter, second, telling other people to do so. The first is unpleasant and ill paid; the second is pleasant and highly paid."
Bertrand Russell

Art of the old swordmasters is back to the Castle of Kings!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Zaporozhian Cossack Scimitar, 18th Century
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: