Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th c. Bevor Question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: 15th c. Bevor Question         Reply with quote

Should the straps go inside or outside of the main plate of a northern Italian bevor of ca. 1450-1480? The rivet holes of originals make clear where the straps attached, but don't indicate whether they were mounted inside or outside. I've seen both methods on good-quality reproductions, but original examples are extremely rare (In fact, I haven't seen a bevor of this period with working-life straps). Are both methods correct? I'm inclined to mount the straps inside the main plate.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean;

This is a rather nice reproduction armet and wrapper by Stanislav Prosek in CZ belonging to a friend of mine. It has the straps on the inside, and it looks proper to me. I suspect that you're right, though I have no proof either.

Cheers!

Gordon

Attachment: 61.95 KB
Armet & Wrapper 1.jpg

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Bevor straps         Reply with quote

Hi Folks ,

I always fit my straps on the inside of the bevor for the same reason that Gordon mentioned; it gives less for a lance to purchase on. But as to the originals, well Churburg is probably the place to look for an original still in situ.
An interesting thing though concerning straps on sallets, there is always a bit of a problem with getting the sallet and bevor to stay in place relative to each other. There are many medieval images that show the nose protruding between the lower edge of the sallet and the upper edge of the bevor. And in my own experience, often the straps of the sallet are a bit in the way of the top of the bevor. Have any of you noticed the picture on the back of David Edge & John Miles Paddocks book 'Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight' ? The straps of the bevor go over and around the front of the bevor. This is the only image, of the top of my head, that seems to show how they solved the problem in the 15th century.

Regards,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, folks! I think that satisfies me. Inside it is.

I, too, noticed the tapestry on the back of Edge's book. That's the only instance of that method I've seen.

As for the fit between bevor and sallet--my set consists of the bevor and what was a visored export sallet by Patrick Thaden. I removed the SCA-type visor to create a nice open-face Italian sallet, so the protrusion of the bevor isn't an issue. I assume it fit well even with the visor, though. The bevor fits easily into the bowl of the deep sallet but it's a close fit that doesn't allow much swiveling of the head. I suspect that's appropriate, if strange to a modern wearer. I can certainly appreciate the vertical top lame of many bevors made en-suite with visored sallets. I can also appreciate why even some wealthy men preferred the open-face sallet and bevor combination. It protects very well and allows almost full protection of the face when "ducking".

I strapped my sallet with close attention to where the upper edge of the bevor would rest, but even so the bevor contacts the straps because the straps come toward the chin at an angle. This doesn't interfere with fit or motion at all. In fact, the contact against the straps probably helps maintain tension and stabilize both helmet and bevor. I'll be adding two holes near the apex of the lower lame, not because I intend to wear the piece regularly but for the sake of authenticity. If I get around to making a jack I'll secure the bevor to the jack with points and see how that affects fit and mobility. Seems like, ideally, the neck strap just keeps the bevor from falling forward, while the points or spring pins or buckles, etc. actually do the work of supporting the weight of the bevor and keeping it at the proper height. I'm aware that many bevors had no such suspension system, though.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Matt Bayley

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Sean;

This is a rather nice reproduction armet and wrapper by Stanislav Prosek in CZ belonging to a friend of mine. It has the straps on the inside, and it looks proper to me. I suspect that you're right, though I have no proof either.

Cheers!

Gordon

That particular helmet is by Thorkil http://thorkil.ovh.org/

Nathan: there's another example of the salet stapped over the bevor, i've just got to scour my archive to fin it. Sad

Matt

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th c. Bevor Question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic