Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Two "Project Blades"Removed Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: For Sale: two "Project Blades"         Reply with quote

This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

In my ongoing attempt to cleanup the shop I am offering up two unhilted blades which have sat in the corner for too long and need to go to somone else.

Sword/rapier number 1. Sword number one is an antique double edged blade which was sort of the booby prize in a lot of three swords I bought at auction awhile back. It is probably 19th c. but could be 18th c or older. Hard to say. Was included in a lot with 2 other 18th c. swords. Total length is 36 inches, the blade is 30.5 (with a 1.5 inch ricasso at the forte), and a 5.5 inch unthreaded tang. The blade is 0.85 inches wide at the hilt, and 0.25 inches thick at the hilt. It weighs 372 grams. The blade is very flexible, and has dual fullers running down the length of the blade with secondary bevels for each edge. The sword has seem some abuse and there are nicks and hits all along the blade and the blade appears shortened at the tip. There is also a slight bend in the last 4 inches towards the tip. The damage doesn't look very recent but it looks like at some point someone in the 20th c. was using this old blade for fencing practice. However, the tang end is in great shape and it is an old blade that imho deserves some TLC from someone and a new hilt. No fatal flaws. I just am overwhelmed with projects at the moment. Asking 80 bucks shipped in CONUS? That would buy me some sandpaper and dremel bits. Pictures here:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/shinumo/DSC01272.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/shinumo/DSC01270.jpg

Sword #2. This is a "hall armour" blade of late Victorian or Edwardian times that I took a chance on when I bought it. It came with an incredible hilt which I have used on another project. The blade appears to be from weapons grade late 19th c steel and even has a circular cutout for a "proving brass". It looks like someone at one of the private shops in London in the late 1800s took a billet of steel and started grinding it into a broadsword blade. The sword is 41 inches total, with a 35 inch blade and a 6 inch tang which is threaded on the end. It is 1.8 inches wide at the hilt. It weighs 997 grams. The blade geometry is a long flat central area with straight bevels on either side. Unfortunately, the blade is not ground properly for a sword. The balance point is 13 inches down the hilt. So in its curent state it is a wall hanger however, the tang is in fine shape, is integral with the blade (not welded) the steel is properly tempered and this could be easily turned into a very nice sword if someone wanted to put some grinding time into it. Here is another project for you Bob Burns! Think of this one as sort of a blade that is 2/3rds finished. I doubt I will ever find the time to put in on grinding on this one let alone that my skill in that area is pathetic so please someone take this off my hands for shipping plus a burger and a few pints - 50 dollars shipped CONUS takes it. Pictures are here:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/shinumo/DSC01273.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/shinumo/DSC01271.jpg

thanks for looking. TR

Attachment: 47.46 KB
2swords.JPG

Thom R.

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: For Sale: two "Project Blades"         Reply with quote

Sword 2 is sold. Surprising to me that sword 1 has not seen any interest. It would make for a nice practice blunt especially in a Darkwood Armory hilt. Or it could be sharpened and make for a nice riding sword. Still has a good temper and although marked up, those could easily be polished out with just sandpaper. I'll drop the price to 70 plus shipping in CONUS tr
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom is a champion! I bought the longer blade, transaction was a pure joy and very fast. Thanks a lot!

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Thom R.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks and good luck with that steel!

OK I am in a good mood tonight - 50 bucks plus shipping takes the little antique rapier blade

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Two "Project Blades"Removed
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic