Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cold Steel 1796 Cavalry SaberProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Steel 1796 Cavalry Sabre         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
For all that it did not cost an arm and a leg, Shahril, this sword IS quite nice. It also calls to
my mind anyway, the idea that the historical sword it tries to replicate appears to be -- and I
might be over-stating my idea, since I'm far from a historical expert -- " mass produced " for
the time period in which it served. That is, as I look at this model in various places there is
a generic design, if you follow me.

Your comment strikes a note for me, as both this and a reproduction cutlass by Cold Steel are both among my favorite pieces for (what I believe to be) that very reason.
There is an "arms room issue" quality about the sword that reminds me of lining up at the arms room door to sign for weapons. It is certainly not the finest piece in my collection (Albion still holds that place), nor the most expensive (a historical original covers that nicely), but certainly touches a place for me that intersects my personal history with western martial arts history.
It certainly is a fun piece.

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Steel 1796 Cavalry Sabre         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Now Matthew, did you test your new sword? I would like to know that.

Sadly, Shahril, for all of my interest in the sword, specially the saber, I do not get to test my blades
against soft or hard targets. B-)
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Cold Steel 1796 Cavalry Sabre         Reply with quote

Matthew, I suggest you buy a chunk of meat or a bottle of soft drink from a supermarket so that you can test your own sword.
Christopher Blakey

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Harris wrote:
Right... here at last are a couple of pics of my most recent 1796.

As it now lives in Singapore, I'm afraid I can't provide any more detailed shots, and the only others I have show the scabbard, which I am not entirely happy with - it was a compromise at best.

The tip isn't quite as splayed as some examples, but not as trimmed back as others.

Blade stats are close to original, apart from the blunted edge. The only other interestibg variable is the weight, which I'll have to dig out from scattered notes.

Tim

I must apologise that I haven't had the time to check back on myArmoury for quite a while. I pleased to come across this thread though. Happy

I am the proud owner of Tim's fine work. Overall, I'm very pleased with this sword. Yes, as Tim says he had trouble with the scabbard but this is a practical sword commisioned so that I can work on LeMarchant's original manuscript, not a collection piece so the look of the scabbard means little to me. It does it's job perfectly well. Happy There aren't too many historical originals in Singapore so I'd taken a trip to Malacca afterwards to see some sabres. Most of them have been modified to suite the Malays (lightening the blade and thickening the handle) but all have a very tight fitting, pure steel scabbard. It seemed obvious (alas, too late) that the steel scabbards are formed using the actual blade as a mandrel. This has to be done before the blade is tempered if any heat is involved.

Tim's blade and handle are exceptionally good though. When I say that, one must take into account that Tim hand made every part so there isn't the machine precision that you get from some manufacturers but when using the sword, you do get the feel that you are might be holding a historicaly correct sword. It's comfortable in the hand and it literally wants to leap out to the cut.

It's a little tip heavy right now which Tim did on purpose to my specifications. As I'm learning about the manuscript, I'm learning what I should expect from the sword. Historically, some troopers lightened their blades by grinding, mostly those of rank who had exposure to smallsword traditions rather than the rank and file. Since I eventually managed to get the memoirs of LeMarchant (written by his son), my understanding of what is required of the sword has changed as there's a fair bit of control from the fingers and thumb required which I've not come across in other systems. Tim left me plenty of meat so that I can (one day) do a little hand filing to get the balance I really want.

All in all very nice work. Happy I'm very happy with Tim as a swordsmith. Happy
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris,

Thanks very much for the comments, and I'm very happy to hear that it's working for you.

I think I mentioned in another tread that I handled an original Blucher recently, and the experience left me with the impression I hadn't done badly at all with the weight of your sabre.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cold Steel 1796 Cavalry SaberProduct Review
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: