Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Small Buckler Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Small Buckler         Reply with quote

I am interested in the CAS Iberia / Hanwei small Buckler. there is an example featured in Bill Grandy's collection page on this site. Here Bill describes it as a "Hand-cup Buckler".
It is only 7 inches in diameter and is perhaps best described as a boss with a rim !

Has anyone any historical references to small bucklers like this ? and does anyone know of a surviving example ?

Richard
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you look carefully in this page (sword and buckler article from the Arma) you can see a few examples of bucklers of very small diameter :

http://www.thearma.org/essays/SwordandBucklerP2.htm

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the last couple of images are examples of bucklers that were merely illustrated a bit undersize by the artist, rather than being actual "small bucklers". This is particularly true in my opinion for the final image.
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are more than probably right. However the first two images shows clearly bucklers that are not much wider than a boss with a handle. Wink

What's interesting in my opinion is the similarity of the method of suspension on the first two. I wonder if the buckler was suspended on a hook attached to the scabbard or the belt or something like that...

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
You are more than probably right. However the first two images shows clearly bucklers that are not much wider than a boss with a handle. Wink

What's interesting in my opinion is the similarity of the method of suspension on the first two. I wonder if the buckler was suspended on a hook attached to the scabbard or the belt or something like that...

Or directly on the handle of the sword maybe ? Depends on how quick, secure or efficient this might be ? I would tend to want a separate hook if one wanted to draw just the sword quickly.

Although having the buckler in hand first might be good defensively and then pulling out the sword ?

Then again I haven't read much emphasis about speed of drawing with WMA swordsmanship ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:

AFAIK the handle of the buckler simply went over the sword hilt. I've seen a few reenactors carrying their bucklers the same way.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
Hugo Voisine wrote:

AFAIK the handle of the buckler simply went over the sword hilt. I've seen a few reenactors carrying their bucklers the same way.

That what I thought but wasn't sure. Cool I wonder about the right way or best way to get the buckler and sword into play and I would think that this would work best with one handers as a long handle might slow thing down considerably.

Maybe not an issue if longswords were rarely used with a buckler ? Now that is a question maybe for a new Topic in itself so as to not derail this one.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

I thought about it but wasn't sure it would work if the buckler's handle wasn't somewhat curved.

On the other hand, with a simple leather strap, like on this one, the problem is solved.

Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Quote:

I thought about it but wasn't sure it would work if the buckler's handle wasn't somewhat curved.

On the other hand, with a simple leather strap, like on this one, the problem is solved.

The only issue i can see with the leather straps (of any kind) is: how can you undo the strap quickly?

The situation won't always allow you to take your time in undoing a knot or whatever, sometimes you'll need the buckler in your hand a second ago, not a few seconds time.

"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Small Buckler         Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics Hugo. The first two certainly look to be pretty small.I'm sure they were intended to be drawn as such

and it does look as if the common attachment method is looped over the sword. A leather loop would work well.

I am not a martial arts expert. How were they used ? It seems to me they would require considerable skill and accuracy

not to mention confidence. The small buckler is more solid than an armoured fist but how much more ?

The surviving bucklers I've seen are all larger and mostly are steel. Leather and wood examples certainly havn't survived

as well though there are some. A buckler of the size we are talking about would only conceivably work if it was steel, yet I

know of no examples. Is it possible that some surviving bosses have been wrongly identified and were in fact complete

bucklers. If not then I can only surmise these small bucklers were pretty uncommon.

Richard
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there,
I don't know about European bucklers but I have in my collection an antique, 18th/19th cent, steel/iron example from India called a Madu. This particular example has a diameter of 8 inches, 25 inches including the antelope horns. As you can see it also has a spike protruding from the centre for about 2 1/2 inches which I think is unusual so it is certainly an offensive as well as a defensive weapon. Similar items formed using the horns only were carried by Holy men in India as they were forbidden to carry regular weapons. Sometimes the ends of the horns were tipped with brass or steel spikes. I have attached a few photos to give you a better idea of its construction.
Regards,
Norman.
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Small Buckler         Reply with quote

Hi Norman,

That's an impressive weapon, but the horns on each side would suggest a totally different technique to the small

European buckler. I have seen small Indo - Persian bucklers 7 or 8 inches in diameter so the techniques of use could be

similar. Perhaps the small buckler was more offensive than defensive i.e. could be used for punching ?

We need some help from you sword fighters. How would you use a small buckler.

Richard
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
Going on the premise that attack is the best form of defense it would be probable, even desirable, that any equipment carried by a soldier/fighter, if possible, would be utilised as appropriate i.e.in this case to punch or parry. Even if an item was designed for a particular purpose any self respecting soldier regardless of time frame would I'm sure find unlimited uses for items of equipment especially if it gave him an edge in combat or comfort. India in the 18th century was still to all intents stuck in the medieval period as regards personal weaponry e.g. swords, spears, bows, maille armour etc. long after Europeans had taken to the gun so maybe Madus with their spiked bosses and sharpened horns are just a logical progression that the European buckler didn't have time to achieve or for that matter need to achieve as plate armour would probably have negated any advantage that the pointy bits gave as it negated to a degree swords and daggers in favour of warhammers and poleaxes. Sikhs I believe, still, as part of their martial arts spar with buckler sized dahls and tulwars therefore maybe, given the idea that there are limited ways to optimise the use of particular equipment, there may be an insight into the way they were used in the past. This is all conjecture of course but maybe an interesting possibility.
Regards,
Norman.
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Small Buckler         Reply with quote

Hi Norman,
I think you are right, The 'small' buckler allows a punch or whatever as well as the ability to block or deflect a blow. It is definately conjecture on my part as I do not practise any martial art with swords. For an offensive move the buckler works better if it is smaller - it concentrates any force or blow. I hasten to add thats my theory.
In a defensive mode it does seem small and I wonder if some sort of sword catching hook would have been common ,perhaps on the edge. In the middle would have presumably got in the way of a punch. Similarly a spike at first sounds a good idea for the punching but a 2 or 3 inch spike may have been more trouble than it was worth - you don't want it to stay stck or jammed in something or somebody. Also I suppose military or civilian use is pertinant.
It would really help to see an original as we are theorising here.
If I was cynical I would suggest they were not at all common and size in a medieval illumination is not necessarily accurate.
Cheers
Richard
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the main advantage of a small buckler would be the easiness of transportation. Apart from that... well, I would definitely prefer a larger one, more practical in the bind, and for striking your enemy at the throat with the rim of the buckler, while binding with the sword. Of course this is only my personal opinion. Wink
Alberto Dainese

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wilkinson wrote:

The only issue i can see with the leather straps (of any kind) is: how can you undo the strap quickly?

The situation won't always allow you to take your time in undoing a knot or whatever, sometimes you'll need the buckler in your hand a second ago, not a few seconds time.

AFAIK you are not required to untie the knot, the leather loop would be around the sword blade (maybe under the hilt so you can draw the sword without the buckler hanging from the handle).
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Small Buckler         Reply with quote

Richard Wells wrote:
. A leather loop would work well.. How were they used ? It seems to me they would require considerable skill and accuracy not to mention confidence. The surviving bucklers I've seen are all larger and mostly are steel. Leather and wood examples certainly havn't survived Is it possible that some surviving bosses have been wrongly identified and were in fact complete bucklers. If not then I can only surmise these small bucklers were pretty uncommon.
Richard

Hi Richard........... I have always known these as " Fist - Bucklers ". I only know that there is plenty of Artwork evedince for them....small, that is. Mabye you're right, mabye they did start off as modified Shield bosses.....or old shield bosses. In medieval times labour was cheap and materials were expensive and so I think they were especially good at re-cycling !! ....so that might be what they were in fact.....old shield bosses, which they wouldnt have thrown away just because they were old - fashioned, but re-cycled into fist bucklers in the 14th - 15th C. ?? I know that there was an order given that the "ancient maille hauberks be taken henceforth up to Oxford, and there be cut up for gussets for harness".....so they certinally did reuse and modify items. Perhaps this is why we find some bucklers small and some of bigger proportions. I dont know of any regulations stipulating the making of bucklers which is why there is almost every type imaginable that has survived........have you seen those amazing Norweigen wood and steel ones ? And the Talhoffer ones are very spikey. Eek! When we train with bucklers from the manuals, we punch-parry away the the opponants blade.......but you could also punch the opponant with them too............which is why some of the bigger steel ones are too slow and heavy for this technique, but fine for use in battles. ( I now have a whole file of art showing the Buckler used in battles)
Cheers

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I prefer a small buckler. My sparring buckler is 8 inches and made out of a stove-top drip pan Wink . It is essentially just a boss with a metal rim. I find it to be light which makes it fast. It doesn't passively cover as large of an area as larger bucklers with a wood rim such as depicted in I.33. However, I have been taught to use the buckler by extending by arm out all of the way. See, the buckler does not just cover the area behind it, it creates a cone of coverage and the farther out you hold it, the larger the cone is. But then again, with a buckler you move it to the opponents blade. A sword edge isn't very wide so 7-8 inches is pretty sufficient.

Just because it is smaller doesn't mean the force is more concentrated when punching or anything. You are either punching with the boss or punching with the edge and neither vary enough by size if the buckler is that round classic shape. F=MA. If you double the mass then you double the force. So a heavier buckler hits harder than a lighter one, all other things constant. But if you keep it light so you can punch twice as fast then you quadruple the force. This isn't perfect but I mean to show that a smaller buckler works just fine.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg,
Good points about punching - now you explain, it is clear a boss regardless of rim size does the work - also the cone theory.
Thanks.
I think Merv has a interesting point about bosses being recycled and used as a small buckler.
My query was around the perception of an artifact today. Would we tend to describe an artifact as a boss,just because it was more common or likely, rather than describe it as a small buckler.
It does seem that no one knows of an actual surviving example. How much does that weaken the case for them. I recall having seen references to small bucklers but I think they were flat or had small bosses.

Are there any other weapons or armour types that exist only in pictures or descriptions without a surviving example. Thats probably a new thread !

Richard
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Small Bucklers.         Reply with quote

Thought I'd add a few shots of original bucklers...........these all clearly show the use, or perhaps re-use , of a traditional Viking / Norman shield boss. Some have decorative flanges added, some also added spikes too. We already know that they cut the tops off kite shields in early medieval times. Bucklers probably developed also for the use of the traveler and pilgrims who didnt want to drag soething big around with them.
So whether they were small or bigger, many seemed to have at the center, the standard round shield boss that we all know.........I think its highly likely that these were re-cycled from earlier use. It would be very hard to tell because they would have used the same rivet holes too, I assume.
Cheers

Attachment: 66.63 KB
Leeds.2.jpg

Attachment: 96.07 KB
Mus. of london, late 1300's.jpg

Attachment: 83.34 KB
PICT0403.jpg

Attachment: 97.61 KB
rundskjoldegrey.jpg

Attachment: 89.35 KB
[ Download ]

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Small Buckler
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: