Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Small Review with Photos: ATRIM MM Type X (flared shoulders)Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Small Review with Photos: ATRIM MM Type X (flared shoulders)         Reply with quote

Stats:

Weight: 2 lbs 4 ounces
Overall Length: 36 and 1/2 inches
Grip: 4 and 1/4 inches
Blade Length: 30 inches from guard
Point of Balance: approx. 5 and ½ inches from guard
Center or Percussion: approx. 23 inches from guard
Distal Taper
At Crossguard -.60 cm
At COP - .35 cm

Initial Impressions:
Would this sword be “big enough” for the Type X crowd?

Appearance:
When I first saw the Maker’s Mark lineup, I bought the XII with flared shoulders. When this model appeared, I immediately wished I had got this one. I love type X swords, and to find a maker producing one with the aesthetic twist of the flared shoulder got me drooling. This is a very pretty sword to me. You only need one look at it to know it is the real deal, just grab your round/kite shield and you are ready for battle. Not much profile taper to the blade, just a big beefy hunk of steel with a modestly sized fuller extending almost the full length of the blade. I also like that Gus managed to give it a nice tip, that while it is not overly pointy, is also not overly spatulate! I would say the finish on the fuller is a bit rougher than the previous blades I have handled from Gus, but a bit of work with a polishing compound and some steel wool would fix that. As with the other recent ATRIM blades I have handled, the finish of the grip, pommel and cross are excellent. One comment I feel I needed to make is that it is a bigger blade in person than it photographs. I was actually worried it might be a bit “dainty” just going off the photos on Christian Fletcher’s site. Its not dainty at all, and that is a very good thing.

Handling:
I know Gus’s blades to be well made, tough and quick, if not perhaps a bit on the small side at times. That might be subjective, because I like beefier blades. I was honestly a bit interested to see if this type X would be a bit lacking in size. I am quite pleased to say it is not lacking in that department. When not in motion, it feels heavier than it is. However, once you get it in motion, it feels pretty right on. Its not a speed demon, but I wouldn’t want it to be. Its just a really nice type x, that handles on the fast side of the spectrum compared to other examples I have handled. It tracks very easy through custs and dry handling is very nice. Balance is good. I was worried I would be able to generate enough speed to cut 20 oz plastic bottles, and I was surprised to find I could, as many type x blades can be a bit slow through cutting such small targets cleanly. Now, that might reflect more on my ability than anything, but the point I hope to make is that this is a sharp, powerful blade that can get worked up to speed easily for massive cuts.

Durability:
I don’t always get into this too deeply with some reviews, but I felt a bit like working this guy through some edge testing excercises. I first went after a few ¾-1 inch tree limbs. This sword took them out with absolutely no wear and tear to the edge. I then did a pretty aggressive flex test. Blade was bent roughly 30 degrees each way and returned to true without worries.

What you should expect:
This sword costs $450 plus shipping from Christian Fletcher. I think it’s a good value. It should be well received by type X fans, and the standard comments about the ability of ATRIMs to be customized apply. A clever person could make a very cool Viking blade out of this guy. I will be considering buying this model in the future. It was a very nice piece.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for these reviews,

Does the grip seem a bit long to you- to me it looks that way but it is just a picture so this could be me. Also the cross looks like a later period one- do you know if this sword is intended to be an earlier blade re-hilted?

The blade does look nice in profile though- and I understand these have no major secondary bevel.

Jeremy
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Thanks Mike for these reviews,

Does the grip seem a bit long to you- to me it looks that way but it is just a picture so this could be me. Also the cross looks like a later period one- do you know if this sword is intended to be an earlier blade re-hilted?

The blade does look nice in profile though- and I understand these have no major secondary bevel.

Jeremy

The grip is longer than some swords I have used, shorter than others. It doesn't affect performance in my opinion. As to the cross, I guess it could be seen as a later cross. Actually, I just looked at the page on Christian Fletcher's site for this sword, and this review piece did come with a non standard cross. I would look here for the actual cross the piece somes with. http://web.mac.com/christianfletcher1/Christi...lders.html

Thanks!

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now THAT'S a rip-off ... heheh ...

Of course, just kidding. B-)

Nice pics, again, there, Mike.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy,

After reading your question about the grip I looked at some similar Albion swords and the Atrim grip seemed to be roughly 1/2" inch longer. Actually, looking at the sword I thought the grip seemed long as well. I suspect that it is the design of the crossguard and pommel that may give the haft another 1/2 inch in length.

My guess is that a different crossguard and pommel could pretty easily make this sword look like a Viking blade without ever having to modify the steel haft of the sword.

I find this sword really interesting. An excellent type X sword with an easily customized hilt. Eureka! I'm going to try to discipline myself to wait until I find out what my accountant says about my taxes but I'm not sure I can!

Ken Speed
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
Jeremy,

After reading your question about the grip I looked at some similar Albion swords and the Atrim grip seemed to be roughly 1/2" inch longer. Actually, looking at the sword I thought the grip seemed long as well. I suspect that it is the design of the crossguard and pommel that may give the haft another 1/2 inch in length.

My guess is that a different crossguard and pommel could pretty easily make this sword look like a Viking blade without ever having to modify the steel haft of the sword.

I find this sword really interesting. An excellent type X sword with an easily customized hilt. Eureka! I'm going to try to discipline myself to wait until I find out what my accountant says about my taxes but I'm not sure I can!

Ken Speed

Yeah, I would love to make a Viking blade out of this guy. Good luck waiting on it.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: The COP         Reply with quote

I know the stats don't tell you everything and can sometimes even be misleading, but that being said, I think that a 23" cop on a 30" blade is amazing. That is simply awesome for a Type X cutter. My hat is off to you Gus!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Small Review with Photos: ATRIM MM Type X (flared shoulders)Product Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic