Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Sword/ Christian Henry Tobler Gathering Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Todd M. Sullivan

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have placed a websection of who's who coming to the event. Faces to names. Even if you couldn't make this year you can send me a photo, if you like, and I'll add it to the "Who's Who In Spirit"

http://www.viciouscirclemc.com/whoswho.htm

Cheers, Todd
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: New vendor         Reply with quote

New Vendor added to the Event: Pete Kautz and Alliance Martial Arts.

New Guest Interested: Dan Maragni
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd! Great to see you here and still studying! Good luck on this event.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,

Steal a car or a plane and come. I would love to see ya Happy

Dan Maragni is giving a hot forge demonstration. Not sure of what exactly the demo theme is but I will post here as soon as I find out.

With Respect,

Todd

Sean Flynt wrote:
Todd! Great to see you here and still studying! Good luck on this event.
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a quick update on the Christian Tobler Gathering on August 18th and 19th.

The event, at this point, is pretty much full for instruction with Christian, 30 scholars. Special considerations will be made to those who have managed to clear their life schedule at the last minute.

Dr Lee Jones and Master Bladesmith Dan Maragni will attending as special guests offering lectures, demonstrations, and a look at historical peices.

Dan is presenting a hot forge blade smithing demonstration and a new lecture on how swords were made around the world and throughout time. Including ore extraction, laminations, differential heat treatment, etc. and including techniques used in Europe, the Middle East, South and Central Asia, China and Japan.

The ringing of the Mercenary's Tailor anvil with it's familiar tune will be a welcomed ambiance.

Pete Kautz of Alliance Martial Arts will be attending as well. I'm looking forward to finally meeting Pete.

Many are excited about making new contacts and new friendships. Sharing in their knowledge on the Historical Fighting Arts from around the United States and Canada. Many different organizations are looking forward to exchanging knowledge such Jason Smith and his students of Les Maîtres D'Armes as well as Michael Edelson and his members of the New York Historical Fencing Association.

A full report of the gathering will be presented after the event.

My only regret is not being able to attend WMA07 this year

With Respect,

Todd Sullivan
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alot of folks are still on the road home from this , we just rolled in a bit ago and what a GREAT time it was. Meeting Jason and the guys from Quebec, Allen and Addison and crew from Maine, Michael Edelson and students from NYC was a blast! Christian Tobler is a true scholar and gentlemen. Dr. Jones brought three swords that are in Records of the Medieval Sword for all to examine and handle. We'll post pics when we sort through everything, but sure can't wait to do this again next year!
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All I can say is "wow, what a great time!" The whole experience was wonderful. Todd and his wife displayed an incredible level of hospitality hosting and feeding such a horde. Mr Tobler's German Longsword seminar was excellent and I feel even more inspired to attempt to start a club at the high school where I am currently the SRO. (Sure there will be liability issues to investigate, but it really isn't any worse than LaCrosse! Happy) I can't even describe the feeling I got when handling the 4 swords that Dr Lee Jones brought; just amazing! Dan Maragni's lecture and demonstration were very interesting, and I feel even more respect for the ancient smiths that created swords in the distant past. Last (but not least) Allan and the Merc Tailor road crew were awesome. I learned so much about armor and got to enjoy watching as a pair of Wisby gauntlets slowly emerged across the course of the weekend. I was also the lucky winner of a door prize that allowed me to order a pair of their mitten gauntlets that I have been coveting for quite some time. I didn't take a lot of pictures, but I did take one of the "Maine Contingent" which I will send to Addison to post here since he is better able to do so.

Again I just want to say thanks to all those who made this such a memorable weekend. I would whole heartedly encourage any and all to attend such an event in the future!

" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for an awesome weekend! It was great to meet you all, and I hope to see you again. I would also like to thank Todd for his unstinting generosity over the weekend. Here is the image promised:

from top left to bottom right: Justin Kirk, Addison de Lisle, Kenton Spaulding, Jill, and Allen Andrews

www.addisondelisle.com
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm still too tired from the event to think coherently, but I'd like to let everyone know how happy I was to be able to share the experience with all that attended. Thank you all for coming and contributing to what turned out to be a weekend I'll never forget. To all the new friends I made, I look forward to meeting you again all in the hopefully not to distant future.

I'd also like to express my deepest gratitude to Todd Sullivan and his family. Todd seemed to be everywhere at once, making sure that everyone had everything they needed. He is a gracious host and a genuinely nice guy...I am very proud to have him as a member of our group and as a friend. I would also like to thank Christian Tobler, my teacher and friend, for his tireless efforts and dedication.

Now I'm going to go sleep for the rest of the day. Happy

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too must chime in and thank Todd for his great hospitality and generosity throughout this event, as well as thank his wife Tracy for all the work she did (not the least of which putting up with all of us for the weekend!). It was just a great weekend, learning from Mr. Tobler, getting to handle the original pieces that Dr. Jones and the folks from Merc. Tailor brought, and just getting to meet fellow enthusiasts.

Kenton
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that I'm awake again I'd like to mention one of the highlights of the event for me personally. For the first time in my life, I got to handle several antique European swords. Holding each one was like a glimpse into the past, like the pages of a history book brought to life. Thank you, Dr. Lee Jones, from the bottom of my heart for your generosity and your trust. Not only did Dr. Jones allow me to handle the swords, but I got to (gently) test their harmonic properties. This was a unique opportunity and a singular pleasure. I will never forget it.
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My turn to chime in! I want to thank Todd Sullivan and his wife for their singularly excellent hosting skills - royalty is treated no better, I'm sure. I'd like to thank Mr. Tobler for his time, patience, effort and instruction over the course of the weekend, and his assistant for the weekend, Michael Edelson, for the tips and pointers. Thank you to Dr. Jones for his input; Dan Maragni for his efforts; thanks to Allan Senefelder and the Merc Tailor crew for putting up with my badgering and for bringing the absinth, and thank you to everyone we met there for being simply excellent to work with. I look forward to repeating the experience. I'll be sending pics out to everyone there, for what they're worth!
Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason G. Smith wrote:
My turn to chime in! I want to thank Todd Sullivan and his wife for their singularly excellent hosting skills - royalty is treated no better, I'm sure. I'd like to thank Mr. Tobler for his time, patience, effort and instruction over the course of the weekend, and his assistant for the weekend, Michael Edelson, for the tips and pointers. Thank you to Dr. Jones for his input; Dan Maragni for his efforts; thanks to Allan Senefelder and the Merc Tailor crew for putting up with my badgering and for bringing the absinth, and thank you to everyone we met there for being simply excellent to work with. I look forward to repeating the experience. I'll be sending pics out to everyone there, for what they're worth!

Hey Jason,

It was great meeting you guys. I couldn't help but notice the intensity and precision with which you guys practiced and be impressed by it. And you let me crack all my Canadian jokes without kicking my butt. Happy I look forward to training with you again.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Everyone who came to the event were just wonderful. Jason and his boys from Les Maîtres D'Armes were fantastic. It was 3 days friendship and scholarship. It was nice to walk out at 7 a.m. and see Paul Suda with his waster and I-Pod drilling in the morning mist. Jason as soon as you want let me know and we'll come over the border. Here some pics to enjoy, a full report will be NYHFA.

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Todd et. al.,

It was a magnificent time for me. A true "Sword Faire", not just one of my seminars. Dr. Jones and Dan Maragni were fantastic guys, both for their vast knowledge and because they're such fine gentlemen. It was great getting to know the folks from Mercenary's Tailor better, and all the students, to a one, were attentive, disciplined, and enthusiastic. Plus, it's always a delight to see an old friend like Christian Darce' of Purpleheart Armoury, who ventured all the way up from Texas.

Todd and Tracy epitomize the words 'hospitality' and 'graciousness'. They kept us fed, watered, and healthy and happy throughout the event.

Folks, it doesn't get much better than this...

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a blast, and I'm already trying to talk all my friends into going next year!

There will be a next year, right?

I know it's already been said, but thanks and kudos go to the Sullivans for being gracious hosts, and to Mr. Tobler and Mr. Edelson for the education and training they imparted!

Jim
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes there will be. Big Grin
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Full Report         Reply with quote

For a Full Report on the Christian Henry Tobler Gathering by NYHFA Director Mike Edelson: http://www.newyorklongsword.com/chts2007.html

Cheers,

Todd
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Full Report         Reply with quote

Todd M. Sullivan wrote:
For a Full Report on the Christian Henry Tobler Gathering by NYHFA Director Mike Edelson: http://www.newyorklongsword.com/chts2007.html

Cheers,

Todd

It looks like all had a great time. It's tough for me to make it to gatherings like that from remote Mickey Mouse land.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys - I finally got around to updating the website - still some bugs to iron out, not to mention it's still partly under construction, but you can see a bunch of photos from the event here:

http://70.81.74.161:8000/media.html

And yes, Todd - I made thumbnails. :-)

Cheers!

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Sword/ Christian Henry Tobler Gathering
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: