Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patrick Barta's TEMPL swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Mortimer wrote:
Patrick,
I will certainly try to do that and I am honoured that you have asked me.
Shall I contact you off list to get details of how to approach the review? I am a little new here.

Paul

I'll send you a Private message Paul.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Eek! Eek! Wow!

Will you ever dare cut with it?!?!?!

A magnificent piece. Major Congratulations to the maker and the owner.

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, as long as we're showing off.... Big Grin

Attachment: 13.29 KB
PBViking4.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pattern (blodida, right?):

Attachment: 18.07 KB
PBViking3.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pictures don't really do it justice... the fine details really make the sword....

Attachment: 20.66 KB
PBViking7.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The A10 viking on Mr Barta's site has long been one of my favourite swords. All of his pattern welded blade work is exquisite, but when it is topped off with a hilt like that on the Sutton Hoo I run out of adjectives. That isn't even my favourite period, and looking at it coldly I'd probably have to go with Mr Wilson's viking (of the two), but those garnets on the Sutton Hoo, and the metal work!! It would be a delight to own either, but just to see the pictures is a privilege. Thanks to both Mr Wilson and Mr Mortimer for sharing.
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are absolutely incredible.

Are those prices on his site correct? Or, should I say, am I reading them correctly?

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Agreed, we definitely need to see more pictures of that sword. It is a replica of the Sutton Hoo sword?

Hi Russ,

I wondered the same question and went on to find the answer. It does appear to be a replica (at lest the hilt) of the Sutton Hoo sword. I have attached two pictures of the original, that I found on the web.

Alexi

Attachment: 23.19 KB
SuttonHooSwordHilt.jpg
The Hilt

Attachment: 12.45 KB
SuttonHooCompleteSword.jpg
The whole sword
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword is not an exact replica of the Sutton Hoo -- for one thing the original sword, when found, only had two filigree clips on the grip whereas Patrick Barta has put four on my sword. Patrick's sword is also slightly longer -- as far as we can tell.

Cheers,

Paul
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Mortimer wrote:
The sword is not an exact replica of the Sutton Hoo -- for one thing the original sword, when found, only had two filigree clips on the grip whereas Patrick Barta has put four on my sword. Patrick's sword is also slightly longer -- as far as we can tell.

Cheers,

Paul

I imagined that it would not be an exact replica first of because not all a whole lot of the original sword was left. That being said, the hilts (the remaining part of the original) looked identical at brief, and not very thorough inspection. Apparently I missed the filigree clips.

Alexi
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Paul Mortimer wrote:

Cheers,

Paul

I imagined that it would not be an exact replica first of because not all a whole lot of the original sword was left. That being said, the hilts (the remaining part of the original) looked identical at brief, and not very thorough inspection. Apparently I missed the filigree clips.

Alexi

Mr Barta's addition of the two extra clips appears a rational reconstruction of the original, unless it was intended to be a single edged sword (or at least one used with a preferred edge). Although there are obvious exceptions (basket hilts etc..), symmetrical blades tend towards having symmetrical grips.
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jul, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Alexi Goranov wrote:
Paul Mortimer wrote:

Cheers,

Paul

Alexi

Mr Barta's addition of the two extra clips appears a rational reconstruction of the original, unless it was intended to be a single edged sword (or at least one used with a preferred edge). Although there are obvious exceptions (basket hilts etc..), symmetrical blades tend towards having symmetrical grips.

I read somewhere that it is possible that the clips were only on one side to make sure that the sword was placed into the scabbard in a preferred position... not sure why? Maybe the blade had a sharp edge for slicing and dicing and a not so sharp edge for heavy duty chopping.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jul, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:

I read somewhere that it is possible that the clips were only on one side to make sure that the sword was placed into the scabbard in a preferred position... not sure why? Maybe the blade had a sharp edge for slicing and dicing and a not so sharp edge for heavy duty chopping.

ks

Or maybe they were part of a 'posh' one sided grip repair. Interesting speculation. It also remains possible that the matching pair were lost before burial or during recovery (they did kind of miss the traces of the body too, if I recall correctly).
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Geoff Wood"][quote="Alexi Goranov"]
Paul Mortimer wrote:

(First of all: Stunning Work!)

It should be kept in mind that even on symmetrical styled hilts/swords, there is normally a back and front of the blade or the hilt. On a ring hilted sword there would be one obvious way to wear the sword: with the ring facing the side towards the ground when worn in a sloping angle on the left hip. Non-symmetrical mounts are not uncommon on migration era swords. To us it might seem stange at first, but it can be part of the style.

Even when there are no signifying features in a sword there is still usually one way that a blade will fit best in the scabbard. A well-made scabbard will have a fit that is tight enough to make a difference for an ever so slight sabering in the blade (not unusual to find asymmetries that are not readily recognizable by the naked eye, but will show when the sword is pushed the wrong way into the scabbard)

I do not think there were two different types of sharpness in the blade. Both edges would have been sharpened the same: second edge for back hand cutting or as back up edge.
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter...

Excellent info... as usual. I always look forward to your posts...

thanks for taking the time.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote, "Mr Barta's addition of the two extra clips appears a rational reconstruction of the original"
There is a ring sword that was found in a Lombard cemetery in Italy, Nocera Umbra - grave 32, that has very similar filigree clips to the Sutoon Hoo and it has four. The clips are so similar in fabrication to those on the Sutton Hoo that they could have been made by the same artist.
However, I don't believe that the Sutton Hoo, at the time of burial had four, and I suspect never did. I have to agree with Peter.

Paul
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Mortimer wrote:
Geoff Wood wrote, "Mr Barta's addition of the two extra clips appears a rational reconstruction of the original"
There is a ring sword that was found in a Lombard cemetery in Italy, Nocera Umbra - grave 32, that has very similar filigree clips to the Sutoon Hoo and it has four. The clips are so similar in fabrication to those on the Sutton Hoo that they could have been made by the same artist.
However, I don't believe that the Sutton Hoo, at the time of burial had four, and I suspect never did. I have to agree with Peter.

Paul

Interesting about the Lombard example. I wonder how much hilt parts were traded across europe. I'm sure you and Peter are far more likely to be correct about this. Do you know if there was any evidence for spiral wraps (e.g. leather strip) on swords of this period? Functionally, two clips would be a good way to keep the ends from coming loose.
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to bring to the top an awesome thread, I am VERY impressed with Patricks work...much so that after my Trip to the US and after I have my Bugei kat I'm ordering from him to get a precise replica made of a favoured migration style sword but then my own customiseations.

IMO I havnt EVER been as impressed with someones hilt work then I have been with that Sutton Hoo like sword...for those of you that remember my posts on SFI about the sutton hoo sword (before my posting priveledges were removed) I was trying to find a smith cabable of carving garnet and doing that type of work and now I'm VERY happy to have found one (in a sense of the word).

Great swords everyone that has posted one up, when it gets closer to me having enough to make an order I'll be sure to ask for help in the design process to keep it historical to the period of sword I'm after (since 90% of my sword knowledge is invested in Japanese swords).

Cool

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Bárta has recently published some new big and detailed photos of his Sutton Hoo sword:

Click any photo to see its full-sized version

These are highly detailed photos that show the amazing talent of this man.

Impressive work, to say the least.

-------

He's also recently completed a Celtic sword:

Click photo to see its full-sized version

This sword features a pattern-welded blade and an iron scabbard

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Mr. Barta shows amazing skill in this, and other, pieces. I especially like the inlays in some of his viking hilts- seem very historically accurate. Does anyone know if other of Mr. Barta's swords tend to be a wee bit heavier than would be desired? Do any of his swords feature inlay on the blade? Thanks Jeremy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patrick Barta's TEMPL swords
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: