Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Next NEXT Next Gens... and another contest... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next 
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Benjamin McCracken wrote:
The limits do add some pressure to those of us who have been sitting on the fence. I doubt this is entirely a coincidence. To send everyone into a complete frenzy Albion could put a counter on each page to show how many are left. Now that would be evil. I think I have to agree with Gary that this does increase the chance for more options more quickly. That is a good thing. I do also like the idea that some of their products could increase in value after they are no longer available.

Ben McCracken

Yeah. In all likelihood I'm just being whiney and slightly obnoxious just because I up till now though I could sit on my lazy a*s and quietly and slowly save up money and buy the swords at a very slow pace. This puts a little more pressure on my economic handling abilities. Happy Happy

That is how I felt. I think that when a model runs out (let us say Type XVIII) they will introduce a different Type XVIII. Since I am quite flexible regarding hilt components, I will just buy the one the is available at the time I have the money ready.

Alexi
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

I am quite interested in some of the other pieces that have the 100 piece limit. I may just have to put down 2 deposits rather than buy 1... pay them off as I can. I can say this... there are only 99 Vinlands left! Razz Use the reservation deposit and payment plans if you feel the need... I'm sure Mike will take a reservation for them now, and you'll be earlier in the backlog queue when they start producing them.

One thing that has been mentioned... if there is enough interest in a model that went out of production, it may be brought back out of retirement for another certain number of pieces. The messers are further down on my priority list, but I would like to have them. If you get them and I don't, it'll be because I focused on the Viking and Anglo-Saxons that I wanted more. I'll be OK with that.

Well, good. Then as far as I know there's still (roughly) 100 messers left. Happy Razz Anyway you're right about the bringing back of popular models. And there's really no telling as to wheteher the messers are gonna be so popular that they quickly run out or not the first time around. There's probably still ample time for me to make any purchases I want.

The payment plans are extremely tempting right now, but they will have to wait until I've sorted some other stuff out. I can't really decide on which models I want. Or rather: Which one to get first.

Guess that in the meanwhile I'll just have to take comfort in the fact that I own one of the 500 Dukes that's ever gonna be produced. Cool
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin McCracken wrote:
Joachim, don't feel bad. I was doing the same thing. I hope that my funds can come together in time to get the pieces i've been lusting over. Needless to say, I was a little upset when I saw the new limits. My first reaction was that this is just some sort of marketing scheme. Which did not make me very happy. After looking at some of the posts here I softened up and started to see some of the advantages.

Ben McCracken

Yes. While initially upset, I have softened up a bit too. Just got slightly aggravated the first time around since I have my eye on the Svante too. But then again: I have a notoriusly bad temper. So little time, so little money and so many swords.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
That is how I felt. I think that when a model runs out (let us say Type XVIII) they will introduce a different Type XVIII. Since I am quite flexible regarding hilt components, I will just buy the one the is available at the time I have the money ready.

Alexi

I will most definately try to do the same thing. I just hope I'll get my hands on a Talhoffer before they disappear (which they, in all probability won't do). I fell in love with that design the first time I saw it. Just as I fell in love with the Svante the first time I handled it.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the explanation page at Albion it said that once there are only 10 left of any model it will be announced on the particular model's page.

The museum line swords are not limited edition, which is a good thing since I will need a while to get enough money for the Solingen and Tritonia......Good thing that the Svante is too late for my period of interest

Alexi
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
On the explanation page at Albion it said that once there are only 10 left of any model it will be announced on the particular model's page.

The museum line swords are not limited edition, which is a good thing since I will need a while to get enough money for the Solingen and Tritonia......Good thing that the Svante is too late for my period of interest

Alexi

Sorry to say, brother, but yes, they are. 1000 each.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:

Alexi

Yes. And I fear for that day. Big Grin That's a good thing though. That's definately the warning one would need. One the other hand: I really have nothing to complain about at all since I love buying Albion swords and happily back them up no matter what. We'll just write my initial reactions down to shock. Happy I'm as snug as a bug if this decision means that they'll ensure their longevity as a producer on the market.

And the Svante: That's a love affair. There's just something about that sword that spellbinds me.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Limited Production Quantities         Reply with quote

I agree that it is a good idea for Albion to limit the production quantities for individual models. It is good, both for them, and their customer base, to increase the exclusivity of their product. If the demand for a particular model outstrips the production limit, well, that increases resale value of that piece. And Albion can always develop a new model that is similar, but with enough differences to make it a unique piece, in order to satisfy those who missed out with the first model. Of course, when looking at the numbers of members here at myArmoury.com (and also those at SwordForum), we must also recognize that there is a limited market for a high-end product like Albion makes. So, the limited edition quantities may not be that significant of an issue.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Sorry to say, brother, but yes, they are. 1000 each.

Nooooooo. That was added today. Yesterday, the Baron did not have a "limited edition" announcement, nor the museum line swords. Now they all do.........................Oh well, if push comes to shove, there are the always the trusty credit cards.

Alexi
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Limited Production Quantities         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Of course, when looking at the numbers of members here at myArmoury.com (and also those at SwordForum), we must also recognize that there is a limited market for a high-end product like Albion makes. So, the limited edition quantities may not be that significant of an issue.

Which is a point that's is both very true as well as something I didn't calculate into the equation. Blush
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Nooooooo. That was added today. Yesterday, the Baron did not have a "limited edition" announcement, nor the museum line swords. Now they all do.........................Oh well, if push comes to shove, there are the always the trusty credit cards.

Alexi

Yep. That's exactly why I got so... emotionally turbulent the first time I read the news, Especially since I've got my eyes on the Svante, Talhoffer, The German bastard II, the grosse messer as well as the kriegsmesser and the Danish two-hander. Guess there will come a time when I'll have to make some very important decisions. Happy
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Limited Production Quantities         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Of course, when looking at the numbers of members here at myArmoury.com (and also those at SwordForum), we must also recognize that there is a limited market for a high-end product like Albion makes. So, the limited edition quantities may not be that significant of an issue.

Which is a point that's is both very true as well as something I didn't calculate into the equation. Blush

Yup. Another point to consider... I'm 1 collector. Just me. Albion currently has over 60 different swords available. I would love to have all of them, and would if someone would just hand over that winning lottery ticket. Bottom line is, even if I bought 1 a month until I had them all, it'd take me a full 5 years. Eek! Yeah, that's IF I could afford to do that. I don't think they'll just evaporate like I think we all feared at the first moment we knew about the limited editions.

One other thing to think about... of the models that are out there, 16 (if I counted correctly) have a limit of 100. The Vinland is one of those. The Baron, on the other hand, has a limit of 1000. If the Baron is 10 times as popular as the Vinland, they will phase out at the same time. If the Baron sells 20 to 1 of the Vinland, it'll be long gone before the Vinland. Supply and demand, folks! Don't base availability or urgency on 100 vs. 500 vs. 1000. Focus on the pieces you want the most.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Limited Production Quantities         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Yup. Another point to consider... I'm 1 collector. Just me. Albion currently has over 60 different swords available. I would love to have all of them, and would if someone would just hand over that winning lottery ticket. Bottom line is, even if I bought 1 a month until I had them all, it'd take me a full 5 years. Eek! Yeah, that's IF I could afford to do that. I don't think they'll just evaporate like I think we all feared at the first moment we knew about the limited editions.

One other thing to think about... of the models that are out there, 16 (if I counted correctly) have a limit of 100. The Vinland is one of those. The Baron, on the other hand, has a limit of 1000. If the Baron is 10 times as popular as the Vinland, they will phase out at the same time. If the Baron sells 20 to 1 of the Vinland, it'll be long gone before the Vinland. Supply and demand, folks! Don't base availability or urgency on 100 vs. 500 vs. 1000. Focus on the pieces you want the most.

Yes, of course. I think my initial reaction was based on myself and on how I know I would act if I had more than decent amounts of money in my pockets: Buy, buy, buy, buy! I guess I in my short-sightedness figured that would go for everyone else too. But seriously: Some collectors, the ones that can afford to purchase maybe three or four swords at once -they scare me. Happy And this is not a stab nor a personal attack on anyone. I'm just slightly jealous of your abilities to endulge in you sword collecting hobbies. Happy

But when I win the lottery: You guys better watch out! Wink Which, in all probability, means that you can relax since I've thus far never won any substancial amounts of money. But here's to hope, right?

On second thought: The limited edition is a cool thing. A really cool thing. I know how proud I am of my Peter Johnsson hafted sword. And that's one of a kind. To my knowledge there isn't another one in existance. Can't get much more unique than that.

Last edited by Joachim Nilsson on Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Limited Production Quantities         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Don't base availability or urgency on 100 vs. 500 vs. 1000. Focus on the pieces you want the most.

Absolutely!

Another point that I should make is that I really don't think that the good folks at Albion are trying to create mass hysteria out here. I believe that they have taken a good look at the market that is out here, and set their production targets accordingly. And the "new, slightly different model" approach provides Albion with the flexibility to adapt in the event of a miscalculation of the market demand. Though, I am sure that market miscalculations only happen in my industry Laughing Out Loud.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Limited Production Quantities         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Absolutely!

Another point that I should make is that I really don't think that the good folks at Albion are trying to create mass hysteria out here. I believe that they have taken a good look at the market that is out here, and set their production targets accordingly. And the "new, slightly different model" approach provides Albion with the flexibility to adapt in the event of a miscalculation of the market demand. Though, I am sure that market miscalculations only happen in my industry Laughing Out Loud.

Yes, I know. Very sensible thoughts. I'm at a very bleak point in my personal life and thus let that color my outlook and judgement of the issue. In hindsight I think that was a bit too rash. I think they are doing the right thing. No need for my to cry wolf any longer.
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No need to worry I think.

I'm sure they will come up from time to time in the marketplace even if a much loved model sells out.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Celtic next gen...?         Reply with quote

Hello I am not an Roman fan (Hey i like the Celt's most so I look at the Romans as an enemy Wink )but I must say that I realy like the looks of this "Decurio Spatha sword"

I can't wait to see the first pictures of the real thing, especialy the blade!!
Is there a picture of that blade yet???
I quess this blade would be an good basis for an next gen. Celtic late la Tene sword isn't it??

Is there any change of purcesing this blade seperatly without the hilt???

And are there pictures (on the internet) of the "real" sword that this creation is based up on??

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
I will most definately try to do the same thing. I just hope I'll get my hands on a Talhoffer before they disappear (which they, in all probability won't do). I fell in love with that design the first time I saw it. Just as I fell in love with the Svante the first time I handled it.

Hey, one of those Talhoffers are mine so you'd better get your order in soon Laughing Out Loud

As far as the Svante, well that's just a dream I have Sad

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On a different note, the winners of the latest naming contest ( for the 2 German Bastards, the Danish 2-hander, and the Irish bastard) should be announced soon. How many of you participated? I came up with around 4 entries.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I put a few in...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Next NEXT Next Gens... and another contest...
Page 8 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: