Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Now, you want to go earlier, and I am thinking that I need a nice mid-15th c partial harness! Milanese, however. Although most folks love gothic armour, I just really don't care for sallets, whereas I'm a huge fan of barbutes and armets! I'd love to eventually do a full, Milanese harness in spring, but I think about the pricepoint and get a little dizzy.... Wink

I hear you. I've always wanted a replica of a particular famous Milanese piece held in Vienna (pic below). But I need to finish my gothic harness first. It's *almost* there, and a few of the pieces will need replacing eventually, and then I might start working on a second early-to-mid 14th century piece.

Attachment: 95.88 KB
small2.jpg
The one on the right is my second favorite 15th c. harness. My first favorite is the Sigismund of Tyrol piece, also in the same museum.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Gert-Jan Beukers

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this is my new outfit :

I'm at the right with the Black Sallet and my new crossbow

Close-up of my little shield I wear attached to my left arm

underneath I wear a small breastplate (more of bellyplate) and I hope you like my outfit!

Correct me if I'm wrong.... I'm dutch
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gert-Jan Beukers wrote:

underneath I wear a small breastplate (more of bellyplate) and I hope you like my outfit!

That would be a yes I like your outfit.

Would your belly plate be a bit like a Plackard like this one in principle if not in detail ( without faulds maybe ).
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...ucts_id=38

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gert-Jan Beukers

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this is the bellyplate I wear, it is made by Marek. It is very useful when I fight as crossbowman

Arek Przybylok

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What does the shield on his arm? This is a solution of the era (15th? 16th century?)
Gert-Jan Beukers

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's late 15th century, the shield on the arm is very useful when fighting with a pike, It protects my shoulder en parts of my face. I found many pictures of pikemen wearing small shields on their lower and upper arms.
Arek Przybylok

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could you show me?
I know only from the rectangular cut-out arms. I know them a little, mostly Burgundian.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
William,

Normally, like a good Italian, just mail - I really dislike spaulders. t is ironic that Italians develop the huge pauldrons, but often, even in the 1450s - 1470s, are just shown wearing mail on the shoulders.

However, I am going to ask Jeff Wasson to make a pair of a-symmetrical spaulders/early pauldrons of the kind found in the Pissani-Dossi Fiore.

Yes and no! I did not want to replicate one source/piece, but rather go with something that would have been considered a relatively fine harness in northern Italy, c.1410 but old-fashioned by 1420. That is why I stuck with the standard bascinet, not a proto-armet or a great bascinet (although I have slowly come to love those), and why it is a simple, half-cuirass and not the segemented, full cuirass of the Churburg S-18.

What I essentially did was take a look at a variety of sources c. 1390 - 1415, chief of which was the harness in the Getty and Pisani-Dossi Fiore manuscripts, the Churburg S-18 (which is particularly similar to those found in the latter Ms), the effigy of Jacopo Cavalli (1391) and a late 14th c painting by Altichiero and c..1415 painting by Pisanello. I'd say that Cavalli and the Churburg S-18 were the main influences.

There are certainly similarities with the Pistoia Altar Piece, but as I recall that is more like 1360s.

Such a pleasure to speak/write with someone who does about as much research into his kit as I do.

Great work.
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm finally getting around to uploading my harness. Funny thing, it isn't me wearing it in this particular picture. I'm also tryinh out the img feature of these boards for the first time.

Most of this is from Merc Tailor. The helmet is from Armour and Castings with an aventail from Atlanta Armoury, the spaulders are from Wintertree Crafts, the gauntlets and sabatons are from Jolly Knight, The sword is from Armoury Marek, and the arming coat is from Revival clothing.

The straps on the fauld weren't buckled up for this picture, and he's wearing our club uniform fencing knickers instead of hosen, and mail is seriously lacking.

Of course, I now want to move my whole kit to an earlier period...

Ottawa Swordplay
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Frisbee wrote:

Such a pleasure to speak/write with someone who does about as much research into his kit as I do.

Great work.

Thanks William. When I was a wee tyke (16), I joined the SCA and one of the first people I met was Doug Strong of the ARS. So besides having access to Doug's ridiculously large library, infectious enthusiasm and love of armour of this era, I'd like to think I was mentored pretty well in how to research armour.

The harness came together a bit differently than planned, as the cuirass was a literal impulse buy - it was on sale at Anshelm's Pennsic booth and it fit me almost perfectly! But overall I'm pretty happy and feel like I was able to get the overall line and look right (thanks to the craftsmanship of some really fine armourers!).

And btw, I love the way your new kit is turning out!

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

here's a part of a burgundian tapestry depicting a fight between two armoured men fighting with a vouge française and a glaive. one of them is depicted with a "targe" like they say in french or what others know as an ecranche etc

Robert Rootslane

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Decided to go birch bark hunting with my girlfriend. This is what we ended up with. Also decided to wear 12 century reenactment costume for the right "feeling" Laughing Out Loud

Anyway this is my soft kit. 12. century Estonia.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few weeks ago we did a living history event at a small castle, like we did last year.
This year I brought my camera's and we fooled around with them a bit, here are the results:

1: The living history film
A knight receives an important guest, traveling through his lands, so he has prepared a banquet for him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHjoNaLVlD4

2: The fighting film
Training various techniques, unarmed, dagger, sword and pollaxe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ijy8Ky_vrI

We didn't intend to make any specific video or any video at all, so this is just our normal bimbling around. We liked it so much, however, we put it online. Happy In the dighting film there's a small bit of a demonstration we did at the Army museum, but it fitted right in. I hope you guys like it. Happy
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben, I like your films very much! Good work! Big Grin And you are wearing outstanding clothes, too!
http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's me in my kit. I'm currently in the works of doing quite a few improvements to it, as there are few elements of it I'm entirely happy about. My ultimate goal is to do an 8th century, i.e. late vendel (or Merovingian period according to Norwegian terms) noble.

Not so much arms and armour in this picture. Unless we are to use "axe" in musical terms. Even then we're probably talking more of a frame saw than anything else. Wink

Attachment: 58.51 KB
lyremindre.jpg

Kevin Winter

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm extremely impressed with the quality and quantity of kit you fellows have.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very happy today. Maxim sent me the images of my finished leg harness for my new kit.

Brett Whinnen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a not so good photo of me in the start of my kit, taken by my wife on her iPhone, she missed the chausses and shoes as we were waiting in line to get into the Abbey Medieval Tournament yesterday Happy I still need to tailor the sleeves on the hauberk to make them, a) shorter and b) smaller diameter, as well as make my coif and integrated mittens Happy

I'm wearing a linen shirt, linen braies (from Revival Clothing), linen gambeson (made by me), alternate riveted/solid ring mild steel mail (CAS/Iberia - GDFB), linen surcoat (made by me, green also dyed by me) and linen chausses with leather norman shoes (Revival Clothing) and carrying my shield and the VA Crusader sword. I left my ring belt on the table at home (d'oh!) so had to do with just the sword belt.

The kit is going to be 12th century based in the end.

Front:

Back

Taken by my son (5 years old).

The kits in here have really been my inspiration in wanting to try and make this as good as I can afford. So I have to thank you all, and I am sure my wife is cursing you all Big Grin

Brett
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Chuck! Can you tell us about the ballock dagger on your belt? It looks wonderful in the photographs. Happy
...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 54 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: