Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Interesting sword I found... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

...at my brother in laws house in Hoveton, UK. I just got back from my sister's wedding and at their manor house they live in I found this sword in one of the parlors. It could be a nineteenth century knock off, but the engraving on the blade and the old hilt seem authentic. It also is pretty well balanced and handles well too.

I attached the photos I took, but you can also view the full pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bfelperin/Curious...UQVG_XhFKg

Attachment: 26.47 KB
Blade Detail.jpg
Blade Detail

Attachment: 23.92 KB
Hilt Detail.jpg
Hilt Detail
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Historic Arms Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods"

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
...at my brother in laws house in Hoveton, UK. I just got back from my sister's wedding and at their manor house they live in I found this sword in one of the parlors. It could be a nineteenth century knock off, but the engraving on the blade and the old hilt seem authentic. It also is pretty well balanced and handles well too.

I attached the photos I took, but you can also view the full pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bfelperin/Curious...UQVG_XhFKg

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like it's probably a Sudanese Kaskara.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay after a look at the link, I'm pretty sure it's a kaskara.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

Hmm, pretty interesting. I wonder where my in laws family acquired it?
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

More pics plz!
If blade is not curved, and engravings are nearly all blade long, it can be kaskara, but let us take a look.
Here I pace a pic of (unfortunately) nearly my kaskara.
I have say, that they are pretty rare in Europe or US.

Attachment: 124.21 KB
161788540.jpg
Nearly :( my kaskara
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

Hmm, pretty interesting. I wonder where my in laws family acquired it?

There's no telling, the British Army saw plenty of action in the Sudan when facing the "mad mahdi" and his followers. Additionally the British were all over Africa in the colonial period

and it was fashionable for Bristish tourists to go on safari so it could have come from any of a number of sources...

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

Kerim Mamedov wrote:

True, but I'd have to say that's probably because there's little interest in them, as with many ethnographic type weapons. They do come up on ebay fairly regularly

There's one up on ebay right now for about 21 dollars.

Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

Kerim Mamedov wrote:
More pics plz!
If blade is not curved, and engravings are nearly all blade long, it can be kaskara, but let us take a look.
Here I pace a pic of (unfortunately) nearly my kaskara.

Yep, it's not curved and kind looks like a viking sword or type X in that it is long, straight and with a fuller almost all the way down the blade. It certainly looks like a Kaskara like you guys say. I don't have any more pictures unfortunately, but I'll be going back to visit them at their house this summer and I can take more then.
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

--- There's one up on ebay right now for about 21 dollars.

---can I ask for a link???
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

Kerim Mamedov wrote:

Here it is, afraid it's bid up to 100 dollars now though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-SUDAN-SUDANESE-KA...dZViewItem

Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Kerim Mamedov wrote:

Here it is, afraid it's bid up to 100 dollars now though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-SUDAN-SUDANESE-KA...dZViewItem

Thanks Russ for your quick description and response. I guess it isn't worth as much as I thought it was, but it's still a nice piece I'm sure. I'll have to tell my brother-in-law about it when he gets back from his holiday.

Thanks again,

Bryce
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:

Thanks Russ for your quick description and response. I guess it isn't worth as much as I thought it was, but it's still a nice piece I'm sure. I'll have to tell my brother-in-law about it when he gets back from his holiday.

Thanks again,

Bryce

You are welcome sir!

Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the one on EBay have rather poor engravings,
For me most interesting thing in kaskara are inscriptions, usually from Koran.

Bryce's BiL have more interesting sword, looks like it's nearly all blade covered with inscriptions
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

Kerim Mamedov wrote:
Unfortunately, the one on EBay have rather poor engravings,
For me most interesting thing in kaskara are inscriptions, usually from Koran.

Bryce's BiL have more interesting sword, looks like it's nearly all blade covered with inscriptions

Correct, and all within the well defined fuller as well. I just wish I had taken more pictures of it. :-(
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

You better find out if he have any hobby, then you can change that sword for 28mm wargaming miniatures, first edition dollar or something like this Big Grin

P.S. that fuller is a next plus to this sword, most of kasara's I see (photos Sad ) have no fuller, and are rather example of simple smithing
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

Kerim Mamedov wrote:
You better find out if he have any hobby, then you can change that sword for 28mm wargaming miniatures, first edition dollar or something like this Big Grin

P.S. that fuller is a next plus to this sword, most of kasara's I see (photos Sad ) have no fuller, and are rather example of simple smithing

I'm working on it. ;-) I may buy it off him next time I'm in Britain this Summer. ;-) I'll have to see what he has in mind for it and how important it is for his family.

Also if his adventure park takes off this summer, he won't need the money. If it doesn't, he'll need every dime he can get. I'm hoping though for the former rather than the latter. He is my brother-in-law after all, so he's family now. :-)
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

well. it another way too.
Try to drew him in your passion, may be give him a book with something about that sword, with a little luck (after he become a krezus) you can induce him, to start an oriental weapon collection. So, cose he is a family, you can think about it as about affiliated part of your collection Happy
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting sword I found...         Reply with quote

Kerim Mamedov wrote:
well. it another way too.
Try to drew him in your passion, may be give him a book with something about that sword, with a little luck (after he become a krezus) you can induce him, to start an oriental weapon collection. So, cose he is a family, you can think about it as about affiliated part of your collection Happy

Well....thanks for the suggestion but I don't think it would work with him. He's starting up a new business that he's passionate about, newly married to my sister AND they are expecting a new baby boy this summer. So I don't think there's much room for more passions and hobbies in his immediate future. ;-) Thanks for the suggestion anyway though.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Interesting sword I found...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic