Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The wait... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: The wait...         Reply with quote

I have recently ordered an Albion Senlac, and will be ordering a Reeve next paycheck. These will be my first Next Gen Albions (I own a 1st Gen Hastings already), so I am extremely excited. But I have been informed that there is a 16 week wait. I know that isn't long compared to most custom smiths, but its still long enough. Anyway, I wanted to know what other people do when they're waiting for new blades? Do you find yourself reading the site over and over again? Do you search the web for any passing reference in the forums about your new toys? What helps make the wait more endurable?
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Occasionally, I would email or call the maker and ask for an update. Every now and then, I would read forum posts that discuss whatever sword I ordered, though I'm far more likely to do this before I decide to invest hard-earned money into it; there's only so much you can do short of actually being able to "try before you buy."

If the sword is so expensive that I wouldn't feel comfortable paying for it in one lump sum, I would put a deposit down for it and then (while waiting) figure out how I'm gonna pay the remaining balance. Last August, I ordered a much sought-after sword (I think by now, we all know which one! Cool ) that I put a deposit down for initally. Over the next few months, I would send smaller payments to the maker to alleviate the remaining balance which had to be paid in full before the sword was sent to me.

Finding a place in your home to display it is always fun too. Happy

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you find yourself reading the site over and over again?

Yeah, all the time.

Quote:
Do you search the web for any passing reference in the forums about your new toys?

Yup. Wink

Quote:
What helps make the wait more endurable?

Playing with my other toys helps. A good cutting or fencing session is excellent to relieve to constant itch caused by swordlust. Cool

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm aware of the wait, and deal with it by trying to schedule things to I get something new for delivery every few months, even if its not the thing I most recently ordered. Truth be told I usually find the anticipation great fun.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An alternate hobby helps too.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 25 Mar, 2007 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Trent Stevens

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: The wait~         Reply with quote

The Wait sucks!!!

i know, not the most itelligent choice of words, but truly the best way to describe it.

I find that i order more blades when im waiting for others...its a vicious cycle. ive recently decided to just buy from the classifieds so they come quickly....

what ive found is most smiths get angry when you call and check on your order...even as polite as i try and be.

ive been waiting over a year for my sword from Gus.....he just keeps telling me next week..next week. Sad

i could just smack Pavel neuman from armart Eek!

Trenty!
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The wait~         Reply with quote

Trent Stevens wrote:
I find that i order more blades when im waiting for others...its a vicious cycle. ive recently decided to just buy from the classifieds so they come quickly....

Tell me about it. The idea of the wait for the Senlac has driven me to order a Reeve next paycheck. It's fiendishly clever... Eek!

Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Robin, I have the Albion Vassal and the Berserkr and 10 swords from Arms & Armor plus 10 of their polearms and 4 of their daggers. So I understand all about the "Wait" and it's something that has become a very important element of this most passionate hobby for "me".
We live in this instant gratification society today, which is also known as a "throw away society". Order and receive these swords too quickly too often and before you know it, the whole value, especially the "spiritual value" will go down the drain. Especially, given the extreme high end quality production swords made by Albion and Arms & Armor!
What happens when we lose our appreciation of the high end craftsmanship of swordsmiths who love what they are doing, working in companies like Albion and Arms & Armor?
I sure would not want my sword made in a hurry! In a production shop, more than one sword at a time is going through a certain phase, there could be several. For instance, recently I received my Edward III Sword from Arms & Armor in early February I think it was, and the order was placed in September. Mine was one of five Edward III Swords being produced, though this particular sword takes longer than other swords on the production list as was told to me, therefore I knew this one would take longer than usual. Sure, I could have gone over to a very fine vendor near me and bought a Hanwei version of the Edward III Sword for something around $230.00, but I was by far and wide happier to wait four and a half months and pay $855.00 plus shipping to get a stunning and exceptional version of the Edward III Sword.
Just like I had to wait for nearly a year I think it was from the time the concept art came out for the Albion Vassal, until the time that my sword was actually produced and I believe that I got the very first Vassal made, because the owner of the vending company near me by coincidence had placed an order for a Vassal the very day the concept art went up on the internet! I've written a few posts on what the Vassal means to me and yes the wait was long and hard, just like it was on the Edward III Sword, but that "Wait" in the end, added to the whole spectrum of the value of these truly exceptional swords to me Exclamation

Patience is a virtue and the sword is symbolic of the virtues, so for me, the wait for a sword is truly character building!

I hope this helps. Please feel free to private message me if you want.

Sincerely!

Bob

As in the beginning I had a hard time with waiting, but as time went on, my patience and tolerance grew, thanks much to other members of this website who helped me grow! That's another important matter of substance, the incredible value that myArmoury and it's members have been to me!

Much Thanks To All of You Exclamation
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: The wait~         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Trent Stevens wrote:

Tell me about it. The idea of the wait for the Senlac has driven me to order a Reeve next paycheck. It's fiendishly clever... Eek!

Part of the trick is not ordering a bunch of stuff from the place that already has you waiting IMO. Bottom line, when I can't stand the wait somebody quotes me for one item, I don't get in line for it for two, three, or six items from them at the same time.

As a practical guide, I won't order another item from any given vendor until a currently ordered item is delivered, although I may order something else as soon as UPS leaves the door. This is not something I have always done, but I've found that putting to much money and investing too much waiting in any one place at any one time increases my perception of risk, stains trust, and reduces my patience. There are to many good vendors out there for me to waste angst getting into all the eggs in one basket situations that end up driving me crazy. A nice side effect of this is that I get to see a wider range of pieces, and learn a bit more about the whole market because of the diversity in my collection.

In truth firms like Kult of Athena can also really be of help in cases of wait overload since they tell you what is in stock and what they can ship immediately (worht noting A&A does a good job of this too). When I just can't wait no more, even an occasional quick ship Windlass product purchased for the sake of curiosity can break things up a bit.

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 25 Mar, 2007 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In following up on Joe Fults post, I should mention the "Vendor near me" is in fact "Kult of Athena"!

Bob
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Part of the trick is not ordering a bunch of stuff from the place that already has you waiting IMO. Bottom line, if you can't stand the wait somebody quotes you for one item, don't get in line for it for two, three, or six items from them at the same time.

Its not that I can't stand the wait that makes me want the Reeve in addition to the Senlac that is already ordered. It's the Reeve that makes me want the Reeve. Before I settled on the Senlac, I did alot of debating and studying over which one I wanted more. I really couldn't settle on one. There were things I wanted on both sides. I knew no matter which I got, I would still lust after the other. So ultimately I have decided to avoid the "grass in always greener" desires, and upgrade my collection in one fell swoop. Two birds with one stone (or two swords Big Grin )
Quote:
As a practical guide, I won't order another item from any given vendor until a currently ordered item is delivered, although I may order something else as soon as UPS leaves the door.

I think I would be more patient about the Reeve if it wasn't one of Albions more popular and limited to 100. If I had ordered it first, I could probably wait till I recieved it to order the Senlac. But as it stands, I ordered the Senlac first, and have alittle bit of spare cash right now (tax returns).
Sad thing is that I have my eye on a CF/AT1211 (seeing a pattern in the swords I'm interested in yet?) after the Senlac and Reeve arrive. Anyone know how long the wait is from CF ? Laughing Out Loud

Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The wait~         Reply with quote

Trent Stevens wrote:

ive been waiting over a year for my sword from Gus.....he just keeps telling me next week..next week. Sad

Shhhhh... you're making my hands shake again... Eek! Wink
I am currently waiting for a DN1506... and I am experiencing most of the "symptoms", you guys mentioned.

I've looked at the pics of Michael Edelson's 1506 a hundred times, bothered Gus with mails every couple of weeks, and when "withdrawal symptoms" were hardest, I found myself browsing Cult of Ahena with urges like "it's less than 200$, come on, just the Hanwei side sword they have in stock right now..." Wink

Even worse, I had ordered a J002 from http://www.sword-gur.com/ at about the same time. Waiting for one sword can be difficult, waiting for two swords... is not exactly better.

Fortunately, this kept me from buying another sword, just for instant gratification. I kept imagining, that all three swords would probably arrive during the same week , and then I would just not be able to appreciate each of them the way it deserved.

The Sword Gur arrived last week, and so the waiting for my Atrim is not that bad... for now.

Thanks for bringing this up. May all of your swords arrive in time... Happy

( Edited for typos and style, I was half asleep when I first typed this )

Last edited by Micha Hofmann on Mon 26 Mar, 2007 4:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not the best person to ask, as I have orders with a couple different makers, all of which are behind schedule. I'm a little frustrated. Happy The wait is always more endurable if you're kept in the loop and have faith in the deadlines the makers set.

One item on order is from a production (not custom) maker. The item was ordered in September. Sometime in November, I was told it would be ready by Christmas. That obviously didn't happen. Now, it's hard to get any estimate on when it will be done. 6 months wait (at least) for a non-custom item isn't my favorite...

I have a pending order from a custom smith, too. That delivery date will be missed by more than a month. Of course, a missed date of a month or so on a custom item is not the end of the world, but the trend of makers missing deadlines they set gets old after a while. Had they let me know before the deadline that the deadline would be missed, I would have been okay with it. But I had to email them after the deadline to learn that my items were not on their way to me.

I ordered a cheaper production item from another company also. They told me it would take three days to get from the warehouse. It took at least a week. Again, we're talking a delay to me of less than a week. However, missing deadlines is a rampant issue throughout this industry.

I have some other things in the works, too, that are held up waiting for various things.

I don't like to have this many things outstanding generally. If the makers had all hit their deadlines, I would have received an item here and there and wouldn't have had to worry about coming up with final payments for several items in the same month, like I do now. While late March/early April will be chock full of new toys, it's not the best for my wallet to have so many things come due at the same time.

I would love for makers to set deadlines and meet them more often. Many of us mentally add some length of time to what a maker quotes because we're so used to delays. That's sad that we've come to expect broken promises.

The relatively minor delays listed above probably wouldn't bother me if they were isolated incidents. However, the longer you're in this hobby the more you see it and experience it. These aren't my first delayed orders and I'm sure they won't be my last.

While I wait, I do to go the maker's sites and look at the items forlornly. Happy I also take the time to read up on the originals (if applicable). I may also check out reviews of the items. It helps pass the time. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If a maker routinely misses delivery dates and doesn't exercise good communication I don't care who's "sword god" they may be, or how talented they are. They won't get repeat business from me. (that isn't really the topic of this thread, but since it's skewed that way.....) I currently have three orders in-progress, two custom and one production. So far everything is going as planned. Whie waiting for an order I'll usually take the time to educate myself on its design, time period, etc. This way if it's something new to me I'm at least semi-informed when it arrives.

Other than that, I simply act like a grown-up and have patience. Wink
S. Clare

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been waiting for this thread. It is really funny because I have found myself doing the described repeated checking of the website, ocassional e-mails and calls to the company, and lately checking myArmoury to see if others have similar situations.

And what do I find tonight? That others are waiting as well. I can take some comfort in that at least. In the meantime the wait continues. As was said earlier, it is good to have other hobbies, even if they do need reloading.

Cheers,

S. Clare
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
An alternate hobby helps too.

Quote:
it is good to have other hobbies, even if they do need reloading.

Wearing armor and beating friends with rattan is fun too...

Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Change the background of my computer at work to the sword in questions.
Gary
S. Clare

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Venable wrote:
Change the background of my computer at work to the sword in question...

Yikes, I did that too. It seems that there is a common psychological disorder caused by having to wait for swords, weapons and their accessories. Perhaps a suitable name for the syndrome might be:

Hoplodeferentia Anticipatum Disorder, or otherwise HAD.

With that name, if the item(s) never did show up you could say that you had been "HAD".

;-)

Cheers,

S. Clare
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm spoiled rotten as regards The Wait. As a custom maker, if swordlust gets too much, I have the luxury of being able to make things for myself. Educational and fun.

That said, I sympathise with HAD ( let's make it catch on) sufferers.... which leads to some points Chad and Patrick made.

I detest having to tell a customer that the delivery date I had stated has to be revised. Earlier is great, but later is not. For me, there is no small measure of honour involved in being able to keep my word. I loathe having to make excuses.

I work on a per-order basis, and keep little in the way of stock. I am not swordsmithing full-time either, so it is all done in whatever time I am able to make. I allow for this with delivery dates, but life does have an occasional tendency to throw up other things, which have to be dealt with at the expense of production time. When third parties are involved, the potential problems multiply. For example, at the start of this year, my heat-treaters were still on half staff until February. A few sword blades are going to be way back in the queue for a commercial operation.

When such things happen, I sometimes find myself having to make the dreaded call or send the email that says "Look, I know I told you such-and-such a date, but...". Most of my customers understand this, but I still dislike having to do it when it becomes necessary. I know there will be other customers who have different expectations, which is why I have virtually no social life (hey, I'm making swords, so I'm not complaining).

On top of all that, there is a factor that has become almost axiomatic for me, and if other makers have the same problem, please let me know I'm not suffering this alone... everything takes considerably longer than you think it should. Perhaps I set myself impractically high targets. I dunno.

I'm not saying any of this as a blanket justification for lack of communication and tardiness. I'm just putting in my own perspective.

I am a solo operation. If I had a shed full of sooty urchins to do the repetitive stuff, things would be different.
"Here's a crust and a pile of emery paper. Polish all these until you could see your horrible little face in them... if you weren't half blind from flying sparks".
You can't get urchins these days. There are laws, apparently...

Cheers

Tim
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim: So why not as a maker add a 25% fudge factor to any completion date? If I was a maker I'd add alot more time then I needed, that way when it was done without the fudge factor considered, it would seem as if you got it done early. I know as a customer I'd prefer to hear a long initial estimate and be pleasently surprised, rather than a good initial delivery date and be disappointed...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The wait...
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: