Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New boots from Revival Clothing. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: New boots from Revival Clothing.         Reply with quote

I thought some here might be interested in a new offering from Revival Clothing/Chivalry Bookshelf.

These are earlier period boots suitable for viking age or early medieval interpretations.

These are only available through the Chivalry Bookshelf website and aren't currently listed on the Revival site.
http://www.revival.us/index.asp?PageAction=VI...ProdID=290

These are more suitable for my kit, in comparison to the later style lowboots I've been using. Unfortunately they're only available in green and black right now. I have to question the choice of black. Since these will primarily be worn by living history types who generally shun black leather like the proverbial plague, the choice seems to be an odd one. I've ordered the green ones as pictured and they should be here in a few days. Since my tunic is green they should do. Hopefully I won't wind up looking like Peter Pan with an attitude. Big Grin
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New boots from Revival Clothing.         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
... Since my tunic is green they should do. Hopefully I won't wind up looking like Peter Pan with an attitude. Big Grin

As long as you don't look like Tinkerbell Laughing Out Loud , everything should be fine. Tell us what you think about the boots when you receive them.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Donald Taylor

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh wow. I was looking for some shoes to go with my viking outfit. I think I have found them. I will wait for the brown to come out though. Big Grin
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanx Patrick... I was looking for some good footwear to replace the suede low boots I have. If only I had seen these in time to have them for Gulf Wars. Oh well....
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey folks ~

Just to clarify, these are not Revival Clothing products, but rather from Brian Price's outfit, Revival Leather, which is a distinct company.

We (Revival Clothing) no longer carry their leather goods, but now have our own line of shoes, boots, pouches, etc, all designed by Doug Strong (aka Master Talbot), who was one of the pioneers of accurate medieval footwear reproduction this continent.

Revival Leather/Chivalry Bookshelf and Revival Clothing were once sort of 'sister companies' (but never jointly owned), but have now gone their separate ways.

Just thought you'd liked to know why these aren't on our site...

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Christian. Do you have any plans to offer earlier period footwear like this in you line?
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick!

There are no specific plans along those lines right this moment, but I can tell you the leather goods line will continue to expand.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I purchased a pair of these last week at GulfWars. They are awesome, and served me well through the miles and miles of walking I did across the event site everyday. We also found a nice pair for m'lady. Now if they would just hurry up and get some more colors out (specifically the brown), I'll be happy to buy another pair...
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a somewhat pricier but wider selection, may I suggest Armlann. They sell shoes and boots in all sorts of varieties and colors as well as with multiple options for soles and heels, if one wishes to have heels. I have a pair of the Single Viking Boots, essentially a form of Jorvik boot, that I have worn a lot and like a lot.
http://www.armlann.com/boots.htm

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New boots from Revival Clothing.         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I thought some here might be interested in a new offering from Revival Clothing/Chivalry Bookshelf.

These are earlier period boots suitable for viking age or early medieval interpretations.

These are only available through the Chivalry Bookshelf website and aren't currently listed on the Revival site.
http://www.revival.us/index.asp?PageAction=VI...ProdID=290

I'm quite impressed with this line of boots, several people in my group have the late 14th century style boots, and while they aren't entirely accurate they are a lot better than anything else I've seen with that kind of price and easy availability. The external machine stitching is a bit offputting to me as a shoe geek in much the same way that external machine stitching in clothes, or obvious welding on armour would be. You're not going to get better anywhere near the price point though unless you have a mate who will make you a pair on the cheap.

Quote:

These are more suitable for my kit, in comparison to the later style lowboots I've been using. Unfortunately they're only available in green and black right now. I have to question the choice of black. Since these will primarily be worn by living history types who generally shun black leather like the proverbial plague, the choice seems to be an odd one.

Ahh, the myth that black dye requires modern chemicals Happy It does for fabric but not for leather.

Black was about the most common leather colour throughout most of the medieval period, next to brown. Dark brown leather you get by oiling veg-tanned leather and leaving it in the sun. Black you get by dyeing it with an iron-oxide dye, extra tannins optional depending on the original tannage. If they had oak-gall inks, then they had black leather dye. If they had iron then they had the makings of iron-oxide dyes. It's about the lowest-tech dye there is after brown, which is really a function of the tanning anyway. Green is also a perfectly period colour, though not a very long-lasting one as it the period recipes I've seen use berry dyes that fade rapidly in UV.

The thing that strikes me as odd about these is the heel seam, since it isn't necessary because of the ankle straps, and it didn't exist on the original pattern.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al,

I agree, I don't think you can beat them for the price. I've been tempted by other more expensive offerings that have a higher level of accuracy, but the fact these can easily be resoled is the real selling point for me. These are expensive enough and totally authentic ones even more so. Expensive enough that I don't consider them disposable, so I want as much wear as I can get and I'm willing to live with the small anachronisms. I also agree about the black issue. However, the view does persist and will never be fully rebutted, so I think brown would have been a better marketing choice initially. Since I have no black leather in my kit the boots would have looked out of place in that color. Besides, I'd have absolutely no patience when a member of the authenti-cops chose to lecture me about my inaccurate shoes, while no doubt wearing a taffeta prom dress and eating a turkey leg. Big Grin
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems that since it was hard to dye anything BUT hide black, black hide was quite fashionable.
In fact, according to a contemporary source, what was Hot for Hose, ca 1250 was brown or red cloth, or black hide.
Black leather tights, anyone? :P

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New boots from Revival Clothing.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic